A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »UI.map issue, now affects whole install

Author Topic: UI.map issue, now affects whole install (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Zarnubius

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 06:05 PM    Msg. 1 of 10       
About a week ago I decided to clear out my map files to get rid of maps I didn't need since they were taking up space. I ended up accidentally deleting ui.map, which I quickly realized while trying to load the game again. I then attempted to put back in the default ui.map, causing everything to look all rainbow and strange. Lastly, I attempted to put back in the universal ui.map that I had used before deleting the map files, which worked except for the strange rainbow-like artifacts on the screen. However, I couldn't load a game like this.

I uninstalled, and reinstalled my game to the same directory. Now, when the game loads it just sends me back to the desktop and it says there's been a Gathering Exceptions error. Tried another reinstall, no luck. Not sure where to go from here. Any advice would be appreciated.

OrangeJuice

discord was killing the forums anyways

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 10:25 PM    Msg. 2 of 10       
HaloPC and CE are really old games, if you don't update them to 1.10, they often choose not to run at all on new hardware

Oh and the bare minimum amount of maps needed to run HaloCE(properly) are:

• bitmaps.map

• loc.map

• sounds.map

• ui.map

(and I forgot what fixes the rainbow artifacts(if the 1.10 patch doesn't. I assume it fixes it))
Edited by OrangeJuice on Sep 29, 2017 at 10:27 PM

Zarnubius

Posted: Sep 30, 2017 09:55 AM    Msg. 3 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

HaloPC and CE are really old games, if you don't update them to 1.10, they often choose not to run at all on new hardware

Oh and the bare minimum amount of maps needed to run HaloCE(properly) are:

• bitmaps.map

• loc.map

• sounds.map

• ui.map

(and I forgot what fixes the rainbow artifacts(if the 1.10 patch doesn't. I assume it fixes it))
Edited by OrangeJuice on Sep 29, 2017 at 10:27 PM

Patch hasn't helped whatsoever, every install I have run the patch and the same problem exists.
Edited by Zarnubius on Sep 30, 2017 at 09:56 AM

sparky

sparky#0096

Posted: Sep 30, 2017 11:56 AM    Msg. 4 of 10       

Zarnubius

Posted: Sep 30, 2017 01:43 PM    Msg. 5 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Try reinstalling using this procedure.

Same result using this installation guide as using the regular one.

DeadHamster

Posted: Sep 30, 2017 04:45 PM    Msg. 6 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: Zarnubius
About a week ago I decided to clear out my map files to get rid of maps I didn't need since they were taking up space. I ended up accidentally deleting ui.map, which I quickly realized while trying to load the game again. I then attempted to put back in the default ui.map, causing everything to look all rainbow and strange. Lastly, I attempted to put back in the universal ui.map that I had used before deleting the map files, which worked except for the strange rainbow-like artifacts on the screen. However, I couldn't load a game like this.

I uninstalled, and reinstalled my game to the same directory. Now, when the game loads it just sends me back to the desktop and it says there's been a Gathering Exceptions error. Tried another reinstall, no luck. Not sure where to go from here. Any advice would be appreciated.

You're using the wrong language version of Halo is what it sounds like. The UI.map from English won't have the same offsets to bitmaps as the UI.map from Spanish, for example.

Zarnubius

Posted: Oct 1, 2017 02:49 PM    Msg. 7 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

You're using the wrong language version of Halo is what it sounds like. The UI.map from English won't have the same offsets to bitmaps as the UI.map from Spanish, for example.

That's what i thought, so then I specifically went back and reinstalled the English language version of the game with the same ui.map and everything. Now when I load the game I can't even see anything; it just boots me back to the desktop although the game still seems to be running in the background. When I close the program, I just get gathering exception error. At this point I have no idea what the issue would be.

DeadHamster

Posted: Oct 1, 2017 03:56 PM    Msg. 8 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: Zarnubius

That's what i thought, so then I specifically went back and reinstalled the English language version of the game with the same ui.map and everything. Now when I load the game I can't even see anything; it just boots me back to the desktop although the game still seems to be running in the background. When I close the program, I just get gathering exception error. At this point I have no idea what the issue would be.

Make sure you're running as an administator, you may be using cached files if you don't

Zarnubius

Posted: Oct 1, 2017 08:19 PM    Msg. 9 of 10       

Make sure you're running as an administator, you may be using cached files if you don't

Tried this, same result.

sparky

sparky#0096

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 04:43 PM    Msg. 10 of 10       
Uninstall Halo PC, Halo Custom Edition and the HEK using the uninstaller via Programs and Features or its counterpart for Windows 10.

Delete the Halo and Halo Custom Edition folders from Microsoft Games.

Delete all your game shortcut links.

Delete the Halo and HaloCE folders in My Games.

Delete any Halo-related files and folders from your Virtual Store directory and make sure that all the Halo-related programs you run in the future are run in Administrator mode.

Delete any Halo-related files and folders from %APPDATA% within both the Local and Roaming directories.

Restart your computer.

Install using the video tutorial I made. Download the files to a clean folder.
Edited by sparky on Oct 7, 2017 at 04:46 PM
Edited by sparky on Oct 7, 2017 at 04:47 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue December 12, 2017 11:03 AM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website