A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Oh my god Im running out of patience and time! please help!

Author Topic: Oh my god Im running out of patience and time! please help! (12 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

GirtheDoge

Been playin Halo since 07

Posted: Oct 6, 2017 10:16 PM    Msg. 1 of 12       
I loaded and ripped spv3s ai tags into os_sapien(doesnt crash first time round). But when I reopen my scenario(I placed AI encounters for spv3 brute chieftans) sapien crashes. also I cant find my debug file for sapien. I got a f load of hw and projects and I have a couple other things on my list to do. Please answer my question. today might be the only free time I have

Edited by GirtheDoge on Oct 6, 2017 at 11:51 PM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Oct 6, 2017 11:09 PM    Msg. 2 of 12       
All I know is that cmt's tags are buggy when used in sapien. Sapien checks for certain things that the game doesn't, and when those things aren't right it freaks out and crashes, whereas the game just chugs along with any potential errors it could cause down the road. I know some of the weapons have broken "ready" animation sfx, and placing them in sapien in any way crashes it. I also know their blood brutes and Shadow vehicle have screwed up collision materials and will also crash the editor. I dont know how masterz actually placed the ai, but I do know even he said some of the things he'd place would crash sapien.

If you want to temporarily remove the ai so you can open the scenario you can open the scenario in mozzarilla, scroll to the encounters section, hit "export all" to export the encounters to a file, then delete the encounters from the scenario and save. When you want to put them back, just hit "import all" to import that file back

Sorry you're having so much trouble. Thing is, cmt's tagset is full of bugs that only the creators will really be used to dealing with/know how to deal with. I'll ask FTDSpartan to chime in here since I was helping him with these same things. He's probably figured out some stuff you need to know.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Nov 29, 2017 at 09:29 AM

FtDSpartn

Thank you.

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 01:38 AM    Msg. 3 of 12       
If your debug.txt isn't in your Halo CE folder, you might have to run Sapien as Administrator (Right Click > Run as administrator).

Other than that I'd do what Moses suggests.

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 06:10 AM    Msg. 4 of 12       
OS tools create files like debug in documents\my games\halo ce\open sauce\reports for whatever reason.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 01:50 PM    Msg. 5 of 12       
Here, I added a feature to the tag scanner that allows it to locate bad collision materials and bad sound tags. I haven't pushed the changes, but I did run it over all of cmt's tagset. Here are the results:

coll specific errors:

cmt\characters\spv3\flood\flood_brute\flood_brute.model_collision_geometry:
Bad collision material numbers.
Change the material numbers of these surfaces to be <= 1 or add 4 materials.
bip01 spine1(node #8)
bsp #0
surfaces = [9, 10, 11, 15]
bsp #1
surfaces = [9, 10, 12, 16]

bip01 l forearm(node #25)
bsp #0
surfaces = [0, 1, 4, 6, 8, 9]

cmt\vehicles\spv3\covenant\shadow\shadow.model_collision_geometry:
Bad collision material numbers.
Change the material numbers of these surfaces to be <= 1 or add 3 materials.
frame hull(node #0)
bsp #0
surfaces = [14, 140]

snd! specific errors:

cmt\sounds\dialog\characters\covenant\brute\h2_bloodthirsty_gibberish\exclamations\berserk.sound:
Bad OGG sample count. Fix by recompiling this sound.

cmt\sounds\dialog\characters\covenant\brute\h2_bloodthirsty_gibberish\involuntary\death_quiet.sound:

cmt\sounds\dialog\characters\covenant\hunter\h2_deeper\exclamations\berserk.sound:

cmt\sounds\sfx\weapons\covenant\anti_matter_grenade\vortex_detonation.sound:

cmt\sounds\sfx\weapons\covenant\focus_carbine\animations\fire-1.sound:

cmt\sounds\sfx\weapons\covenant\focus_carbine\animations\ready.sound:

cmt\sounds\sfx\weapons\covenant\plasma_pistol\animations\first-person overheated.sound:

cmt\sounds\sfx\weapons\covenant\plasma_rifle\fx\plasma_rifle_new_overheat.sound:

cmt\sounds\sfx\weapons\covenant\shredder\animations\first-person melee.sound:

cmt\sounds\sfx\weapons\covenant\shredder\animations\first-person posing.sound:

cmt\sounds\sfx\weapons\covenant\shredder\animations\first-person ready.sound:

cmt\sounds\sfx\weapons\covenant\shredder\animations\first-person reload.sound:

cmt\sounds\sfx\weapons\covenant\shredder\fx\shredder_needle_fire.sound:

Edited by MosesofEgypt on Oct 7, 2017 at 01:51 PM

FtDSpartn

Thank you.

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 03:49 PM    Msg. 6 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
OS tools create files like debug in documents\my games\halo ce\open sauce\reports for whatever reason.
Ah yeah, I completely forgot about that -- my bad.

GirtheDoge

Been playin Halo since 07

Posted: Oct 7, 2017 11:19 PM    Msg. 7 of 12       
Hey moe how would I fix these tags I dont know how to recompile

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Oct 8, 2017 02:02 AM    Msg. 8 of 12       
It's not very simple. First you'll need to understand how sounds work, and get a crash course in compiling them. There are 3 main "sections" to a sound tag: pitch ranges, permutations, and samples.

Pitch ranges aren't too important since they are only used for a couple things, but they're basically pre-recorded variants of a sound that the game uses in certain instances where the sound changes based on some variable. Like, the warthog has 4 pitch ranges for how hard the engine is working: idling, low rpm, medium rpm, and high rpm. I don't think any of these sounds you'll need to fix will use anything other than the default pitch range though, but it's nice to know about this.

Permutations are different versions of a sound that get chosen to play randomly. Like, the sound of glass breaking has around 10 permutations, this way it usually sounds different each time a piece of glass breaks.

Samples are the actual audio data that's read when a permutation is chosen to play. Sometimes the size of the permutation is too large to fit in one chunk of samples, so tool splits it across multiple chunks of samples and then chains them together.

When Refinery exports a permutation it tries to put together all of the pieces of each permutation into a single audio file, but the only format it cant do it for is ogg. Instead it'll export each piece as a separate ogg file with "__X" on the end, where X is the piece's number. So like, if a permutation named "test" had 3 pieces, they'd export as test__0.ogg, test__1.ogg, and test__2.ogg.

You'll have to load maps containing each messed up sound into Refinery and extract their data(the ogg files) to your data folder. For each tag whose ogg sound you extracted, navigate to the folder they extracted to and open up an audio editing program(I recommend Audacity).

You'll need to piece these ogg samples together yourself in the audio editing program. After you do, save the permutation as a 16bit PCM WAV file to the same folder with the same name as the permutation. So like, after piecing together those test__X.ogg you'd save it as test.wav

After you've done this for all the permutations of one of the sounds, you'll need to remove all the ogg files from the folders(probably move them just in case you need them later). The reason for this is tool will try to import ALL files in the sound folder, even if they're not wav.

After you've done this, open a cmd prompt, cd into the directory with tool.exe, and type:

tool sounds "ENTER_PATH_TO_SOUND_FOLDER_HERE" ogg 1

and it should compile the fixed sound. as an example, if you were trying to fix:
cmt\sounds\sfx\weapons\covenant\focus_carbine\animations\ready.sound

you would type in:
tool sounds "cmt\sounds\sfx\weapons\covenant\focus_carbine\animations\ready" ogg 1

Also, before you compile any sounds, replace the vorbisenc.dll, vorbis.dll, vorbisfile.dll, and ogg.dll in your Halo Custom Edition directory with these ones(in case you never did):
hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1632

The reason being the ones that shipped with CE are out of date, buggy, and frequently cause tool to crash. If anyone here knows something I forgot to mention, feel free to join in.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Oct 8, 2017 at 02:11 AM

sparky

sparky#0096

Posted: Oct 10, 2017 06:15 PM    Msg. 9 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt

If anyone here knows something I forgot to mention, feel free to join in.

Xbox ADPCM Codec.

DeadHamster

Posted: Oct 10, 2017 08:09 PM    Msg. 10 of 12       
CMT SPV3 tags are held together with chewing gum and paperclips. Extremely difficult to work with, many many of their tags are either corrupt to some degree, or reference outdated and/or missing assets making them unusable without correcting.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Oct 10, 2017 08:16 PM    Msg. 11 of 12       
While that codec is indeed important for compiling xbox adpcm sounds, we're specifically talking about ogg here sparky. Don't want to confuse him when this is his first experience with compiling sounds, so thought I'd clarify that.

sparky

sparky#0096

Posted: Oct 11, 2017 01:00 AM    Msg. 12 of 12       
Link has both.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue December 12, 2017 11:03 AM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website