A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Projectile velocities, damage bounds, ranges, and modifiers

Author Topic: Projectile velocities, damage bounds, ranges, and modifiers (3 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Donut

I swear I'm not actually dead

Posted: Oct 11, 2017 02:09 AM    Msg. 1 of 3       
I'm trying to figure out exactly how Halo handles projectile speed and damage calculations. We have a few variables:

Projectiles:
- air damage range start and end
- initial velocity
- final velocity
- max range

Damage effects:
- damage lower bound
- damage upper bound start and end
- Damage modifiers for each material type

WU = World Units

My current understanding is that projectiles deal "damage upper bound" damage and travel at "initial velocity" WU/s until they travel "air damage range start" WU, then their damage and velocity decreases linearly until the projectile has traveled "air damage range end" WU, at which point it deals "damage lower bound" damage and travel at "final velocity" WU/s until it disappears at "max range" WU. Damage modifiers are applied to the base damage at time of projectile collision.

I'm mainly confused on why "damage upper bound" is a range. What function does that serve, and where does it fit into the above description? Is the above description even correct? Finally, are material damage modifiers taken into account in multiplayer?

sparky

sparky#0096

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 04:01 PM    Msg. 2 of 3       
Quote: --- Original message by: Donut
are material damage modifiers taken into account in multiplayer?

Yes. It's easy to test that and see that they are used.

You can also test the upper bound ranges. I'm presuming that they have to do with the trigger button being held down -- the weapon trigger being continuously fired, between initial rate of fire to resulting rate of fire. You can test this by giving the weapon a rate of fire range and wide rate of fire acceleration difference, then fire one projectile at a biped and compare that damage to one projectile after the rate of fire is at maximum with the trigger held down. Rate of fire is affected by rendering, so don't use bullet trails or particle emissions.

The real-time game memory editor could be convenient for these tests.
Edited by sparky on Oct 12, 2017 at 04:11 PM

bingo

Posted: Nov 5, 2017 08:02 PM    Msg. 3 of 3       
Word around the block is you cut your dick off.
Edited by bingo on Nov 6, 2017 at 04:18 AM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed December 13, 2017 9:29 PM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website