A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Update: I might quit modding Halo CE PC soon

Author Topic: Update: I might quit modding Halo CE PC soon (15 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

GirtheDoge

Been playin Halo since 07

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 08:14 AM    Msg. 1 of 15       
As read from the title, I might quit very soon. I'm not quitting because it's too hard too mod(I have been researching day after day on how to make maps and how to get ai tags) because I want to move on to modding console games. The primary reason why I even started on halo ce is because halo ce was the only option for me to make ai battles. In order to mod halo games, on the xbox, you have to own a jtagged xbox which is complicated to make and cost around 150-250 dollars. I plan to save up for a jtagged xbox as soon as I get a job. After I finally get the modded xbox, I might quit playing halo ce pc due to the newer game engines, the complex ai and better gameplay. Im probauly going to start a gaming/modding channel named Sargent 0,my gamertag. I'll give another update just to let you know if I've 100% quit halo pc modding and moved on to modding halo 3 or some other halo game.

DeadHamster

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 09:17 AM    Msg. 2 of 15       
Console modding is 10x harder and 100x more limited. You'll never make an AI battle on a console, because you'll never have the devkit for console game titles

MEGA_VKNG

no.

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 09:48 AM    Msg. 3 of 15       
how do I get spv3 tags work on Halo 3?????? help please!!!!!!!

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 02:47 PM    Msg. 4 of 15       
Dead Hamster is right, and come on MEGA, this guy has actually been trying even though he's been hitting tons of walls(SPV3's buggyness and my tools not being completely perfect being two of them).

Gir, I promise you that you won't have anywhere near the flexibility and control you might be expecting with newer Halo games. We just don't have the intimate knowledge of their systems and file structures that we do with Halo CE. I mean, I literally wrote an entirely new editor for Halo CE mostly using information gleamed from using the current editors to make files, then inspect the files in a hex editor. If I were to do this with Halo 3+ files I'd only be able to find maybe, 20% of the information I need to actually need to make an editor(and that would be entirely information learned from more hardcore reverse engineers like kornman00 and all the other pioneers I'm forgetting).

I guess what I'm saying is that you should get to know the limitations of what you're planning to work with before deciding to jump ship. You might be able to change AI placement and commands(idk, just assuming), but you will probably have a hell of a time making custom models and sounds in any capacity. Also, keep in mind that any mods you make will either have to be shared with other jtag'd users, or will stay limited to your console.

Just to show you what I mean, here is the AI pathfinding data structures(used to help ai navigate the level) as you'd find in the program Assembly.

<reflexive name="AI Pathfinding Data" offset="0x3C8" visible="false" entrySize="0x6C">
<reflexive name="Unknown" offset="0x0" visible="false" entrySize="0x24">
<undefined name="Unknown" offset="0x0" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x4" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x8" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0xC" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x10" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x12" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x14" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x18" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x1C" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x20" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x22" visible="false" />
</reflexive>
<reflexive name="Unknown" offset="0xC" visible="false" entrySize="0x48">
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x10" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x12" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x20" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x22" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x24" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x28" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x2C" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x30" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x32" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x34" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x38" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x3C" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x40" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x42" visible="false" />
<undefined name="Unknown" offset="0x44" visible="false" />
</reflexive>
<reflexive name="Unknown" offset="0x18" visible="false" entrySize="0x8">
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x0" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x2" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x4" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x6" visible="false" />
</reflexive>
<reflexive name="Unknown" offset="0x24" visible="false" entrySize="0x8">
<int32 name="Unknown" offset="0x0" visible="false" />
<undefined name="Unknown" offset="0x4" visible="false" />
</reflexive>
<reflexive name="Unknown" offset="0x30" visible="false" entrySize="0x10" align="0x8">
<reflexive name="Unknown" offset="0x4" visible="false" entrySize="0x1C">
<undefined name="Unknown" offset="0x4" visible="false" />
<undefined name="Unknown" offset="0x8" visible="false" />
<undefined name="Unknown" offset="0xC" visible="false" />
<undefined name="Unknown" offset="0x10" visible="false" />
<undefined name="Unknown" offset="0x14" visible="false" />
<undefined name="Unknown" offset="0x18" visible="false" />
</reflexive>
</reflexive>
<reflexive name="Unknown" offset="0x3C" visible="false" entrySize="0xC">
<reflexive name="Unknown" offset="0x0" visible="false" entrySize="0xC">
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x0" visible="false" />
</reflexive>
</reflexive>
<reflexive name="Unknown" offset="0x48" visible="false" entrySize="0x44">
<stringid name="Unknown" offset="0x0" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x4" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x6" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x10" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x20" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x24" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x28" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x2C" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x30" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x34" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x38" visible="false" />
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x3C" visible="false" />
<int32 name="Unknown" offset="0x40" visible="false" />
</reflexive>
<reflexive name="Unknown" offset="0x54" visible="false" entrySize="0x8">
<reflexive name="Unknown" offset="0x0" visible="false" entrySize="0xC">
<reflexive name="Unknown" offset="0x0" visible="false" entrySize="0x18">
<float32 name="Unknown" offset="0x0" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0xC" visible="false" />
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0xE" visible="false" />
<degree name="Unknown" offset="0x10" visible="false" />
<degree name="Unknown" offset="0x14" visible="false" />
</reflexive>
</reflexive>
</reflexive>
<reflexive name="Unknown" offset="0x60" visible="false" entrySize="0x2">
<int16 name="Unknown" offset="0x0" visible="false" />
</reflexive>
</reflexive>

See how it's all unknown? Yeah, that's the kinda thing you'll be dealing with. LOOOOOTTTSSS of unknown things that you can't edit because the tool's designers don't know HOW to edit them without breaking the map.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Oct 17, 2017 at 02:55 PM

GirtheDoge

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 03:40 PM    Msg. 5 of 15       
I thought modding halo custom edition was hard when i started. After a couple months of research i finally got how modding ce works. Ill just do research for a while and ill get how it works. Im kinda rough on coding. Even if it is a complicated process to mod halo console games, thats what research is for. If its too complicated ill still buy a modded console and play halo with mods. Like i said,ill give an update once i get the console and learn to mod halo. Also dead hamster, theres a mod for halo 3 and 4 ai playground made by gamecheat13 search him up hes pretty cool
Edited by GirtheDoge on Oct 17, 2017 at 03:42 PM
Edited by GirtheDoge on Oct 17, 2017 at 03:45 PM

Jobalisk

The haiku master。

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 07:31 PM    Msg. 6 of 15       
Normally I'd be upset that you're leaving but I don't even know you. Besides playing halo since 07 isn't much of a feat. Get on our level and play it since 2001.

XxPopeAK49xX

It's better being a jerk.

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 09:53 PM    Msg. 7 of 15       
Git Gud kid.

GirtheDoge

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 11:38 PM    Msg. 8 of 15       
Jobalisk. Just to let you know, I'm just guy who makes ai maps. I never published them cause I was too lazy. I primarily just messed around with the vanilla ai. ever since around july i been trying to spawn spv3 ai
Also, I been playing halo since I was 4. That was 10 years ago! Thats a long time!

Edited by GirtheDoge on Oct 17, 2017 at 11:51 PM

not giraffe

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 11:56 PM    Msg. 9 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: GirtheDoge

Jobalisk. Just to let you know, I'm just guy who makes ai maps. I never published them cause I was too lazy. I primarily just messed around with the vanilla ai. ever since around july i been trying to spawn spv3 ai
Also, I been playing halo since I was 4. That was 10 years ago! Thats a long time!

Edited by GirtheDoge on Oct 17, 2017 at 11:51 PM

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Oct 18, 2017 08:04 AM    Msg. 10 of 15       
You can use HEK to mod halo and convert those maps and everything you make to play them on the xbox using Arsenic.
EDIT: This also only requires you to softmod your xbox which costs $20-$30 plus another $60 or so if you don't have an xbox.
Edited by il Duce Primo on Oct 18, 2017 at 08:07 AM

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: Oct 18, 2017 03:26 PM    Msg. 11 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jobalisk
Normally I'd be upset that you're leaving but I don't even know you. Besides playing halo since 07 isn't much of a feat. Get on our level and play it since 2001.

There's nothing more cringey than someone treating longevity in a video game franchise as some kind of virtue.

e: i wish OP would stop giving us status updates every other day about how he can't get his rips working or how he wants to contribute to the bottomless pit that is AI mod maps that are already hosted on this domain
Edited by Bungie LLC on Oct 18, 2017 at 03:34 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Oct 19, 2017 01:59 AM    Msg. 12 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: Bungie LLC

Quote: --- Original message by: Jobalisk

There's nothing more cringey than someone treating longevity in a video game franchise as some kind of virtue.

e: i wish OP would stop giving us status updates every other day about how he can't get his rips working or how he wants to contribute to the bottomless pit that is AI mod maps that are already hosted on this domain
Edited by Bungie LLC on Oct 18, 2017 at 03:34 PM

But but
SPV3 tags r kool
AI maps are different with SPV3 tags!

cippozzo

"I... I am a monument to all your sins."

Posted: Oct 20, 2017 03:46 PM    Msg. 13 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt

Dead Hamster is right, and come on MEGA, this guy has actually been trying even though he's been hitting tons of walls(SPV3's buggyness and my tools not being completely perfect being two of them).

Gir, I promise you that you won't have anywhere near the flexibility and control you might be expecting with newer Halo games. We just don't have the intimate knowledge of their systems and file structures that we do with Halo CE. I mean, I literally wrote an entirely new editor for Halo CE mostly using information gleamed from using the current editors to make files, then inspect the files in a hex editor. If I were to do this with Halo 3+ files I'd only be able to find maybe, 20% of the information I need to actually need to make an editor(and that would be entirely information learned from more hardcore reverse engineers like kornman00 and all the other pioneers I'm forgetting).

I guess what I'm saying is that you should get to know the limitations of what you're planning to work with before deciding to jump ship. You might be able to change AI placement and commands(idk, just assuming), but you will probably have a hell of a time making custom models and sounds in any capacity. Also, keep in mind that any mods you make will either have to be shared with other jtag'd users, or will stay limited to your console.

Just to show you what I mean, here is the AI pathfinding data structures(used to help ai navigate the level) as you'd find in the program Assembly.

blablah

See how it's all unknown? Yeah, that's the kinda thing you'll be dealing with. LOOOOOTTTSSS of unknown things that you can't edit because the tool's designers don't know HOW to edit them without breaking the map.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Oct 17, 2017 at 02:55 PM

And these are in a 'readable' state.

Bugnotnotthegreat

Soy el homer malo

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 04:24 AM    Msg. 14 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGA_VKNG
how do I get spv3 tags work on Halo 3?????? help please!!!!!!!

spv3 and halo 3 are on 2 different engines so you would have to remake them from the ground up.

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: Oct 26, 2017 11:46 PM    Msg. 15 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: GirtheDoge
As read from the title, I might quit very soon. I'm not quitting because it's too hard too mod(I have been researching day after day on how to make maps and how to get ai tags) because I want to move on to modding console games. The primary reason why I even started on halo ce is because halo ce was the only option for me to make ai battles. In order to mod halo games, on the xbox, you have to own a jtagged xbox which is complicated to make and cost around 150-250 dollars. I plan to save up for a jtagged xbox as soon as I get a job. After I finally get the modded xbox, I might quit playing halo ce pc due to the newer game engines, the complex ai and better gameplay. Im probauly going to start a gaming/modding channel named Sargent 0,my gamertag. I'll give another update just to let you know if I've 100% quit halo pc modding and moved on to modding halo 3 or some other halo game.

My man, you can simply mod for Halo 1 on Xbox. Look at the NHE mod (http://halo1final.com/NHE) a dedicated group of Xbox players still play this fairly regularly on LAN. And you have the benefit of not needing to worry about Gearbox's crappy netcode either.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed November 22, 2017 3:08 PM 344 ms.
A Halo Maps Website