A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo File Parser C Library

Author Topic: Halo File Parser C Library (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

sparky

sparky#0096

Posted: Nov 3, 2017 12:59 AM    Msg. 1 of 5       
I'm making a C library that parses Halo files.

I'm working on the tag file formats first, then map files, then probably back to other kinds of data. The approach I am using is similar to NSData in Objective-C. I use fopen() to open a file, copy its bytes into memory and make a note of the file data length, close the file, copy the memorized bytes into parsing structs, and free the memorized bytes.

Eventually, this will facilitate designing any C-based application to read and write Halo file data.
Edited by sparky on Nov 3, 2017 at 01:09 AM

cippozzo

"I... I am a monument to all your sins."

Posted: Nov 3, 2017 09:01 AM    Msg. 2 of 5       
Maybe you should use smaller types name : real instead of halo float. They seem verbose and could actually feel a development pain.

sparky

sparky#0096

Posted: Nov 4, 2017 01:47 PM    Msg. 3 of 5       
It won't matter to anyone but me, and I don't care that much since almost all the variables are already named by me. To the person who uses the function(s) for handling data, verbosity in variable names is helpful to identifying what is stored. I prefix everything since everything is loaded globally instead of contained within classes and objects.
Edited by sparky on Nov 4, 2017 at 01:48 PM

cippozzo

"I... I am a monument to all your sins."

Posted: Nov 4, 2017 02:40 PM    Msg. 4 of 5       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky

It won't matter to anyone but me, and I don't care that much since almost all the variables are already named by me. To the person who uses the function(s) for handling data, verbosity in variable names is helpful to identifying what is stored. I prefix everything since everything is loaded globally instead of contained within classes and objects.
Edited by sparky on Nov 4, 2017 at 01:48 PM

Right, though I'm really interested.

sparky

sparky#0096

Posted: Nov 6, 2017 12:55 PM    Msg. 5 of 5       
You should wait until it's done. Then you can rename everything as a project contributor or with your own project or fork of it.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed November 22, 2017 3:02 PM 156 ms.
A Halo Maps Website