A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »HCEA .map files (as opposed to .s3dpak)

Author Topic: HCEA .map files (as opposed to .s3dpak) (24 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: Jan 2, 2018 07:45 PM    Msg. 1 of 24       
Does anyone have a download source for the Combat Evolved Anniversary .map files? I can't seem to find any, despite my best efforts. I've downloaded the .s3dpak file resources from the CE3 website's "maps" domain, but unfortunately the .map files are not hosted there, and while I do possess a retail copy of the game, my 360 is currently in shambles.

Alternatively, if there is not a download source available, could someone perhaps provide a copy of both the a10 and d40 .map files, specifically? Those are the two levels I am trying to get ahold of. Thanks in advance.

BioGoji1989

Posted: Jan 2, 2018 11:49 PM    Msg. 2 of 24       
I think one modder named Reus did a HCEA mod of 343 Guilty Spark. You can find the file on youtube, both Reus' channel and I think on a video posted by AltSierra117 as well, along with the .map files for beta versions of C20 and B40, but not any of the others. Careful with the beta's, though. They tend to crash at random, although usually it's when entering areas with lots of vehicles and/or different AI fighting each other.

C10, however, hasn't crashed on me once... yet. So, there's a starting point. Maybe try getting in touch with Reus or AltSierra117. Find out if they have access to the files you're looking for.
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Jan 2, 2018 at 11:50 PM

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 05:19 PM    Msg. 3 of 24       
I have some of the map files, I am not sure what you would want to do with them.

Bungie LLC

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 06:21 PM    Msg. 4 of 24       
The two maps in question, a10 and d40; I'd like to run them through adjutant so I can get access to their model and texture resources. Without the .map files though, I only get access to texture data and not the model data, which the .map(s) themselves contain.

not giraffe

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 06:23 PM    Msg. 5 of 24       
Maybe this is what you're looking for (but I wouldn't know):

https://halo.galaxyverge.com/files/archives/blamdepot/halo_cea_release_xenon/
Edited by not giraffe on Jan 3, 2018 at 06:24 PM

Bungie LLC

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 06:33 PM    Msg. 6 of 24       
This must've been buried in galaxyverge's file hierarchy. This was one of the first domains I went to search for, but after scouring through the main page, I came up empty. Doesn't surprise me one bit though, considering Sparky's the webmaster.

This appears to be what I was looking for. Thanks a ton.

BioGoji1989

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 07:16 PM    Msg. 7 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: not giraffe

Are these .map files playable in CE, or are these files strictly intended for more technical usage such as the extraction of models, textures, and other data? If they can be played, that would be awesome.
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Jan 3, 2018 at 07:18 PM

not giraffe

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 07:37 PM    Msg. 8 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: BioGoji1989

Are these .map files playable in CE, or are these files strictly intended for more technical usage such as the extraction of models, textures, and other data? If they can be played, that would be awesome.

BioGoji1989

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 07:39 PM    Msg. 9 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: BioGoji1989

I don't know what that means. Is that bad?

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 12:26 AM    Msg. 10 of 24       
There is no way you're plug-and-playing CEA maps into Halo CE.

http://haloce3.com/xmf/

It's a secret to everybody!
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 4, 2018 at 12:27 AM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 12:40 AM    Msg. 11 of 24       
If it were possible, it'd be a HSOWA situation.

BioGoji1989

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 01:29 AM    Msg. 12 of 24       
I didn't know. I-I was young and naive!

Bungie LLC

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 02:44 PM    Msg. 13 of 24       
It also would seem that I didn't read the Adjutant documentation close enough and I generally misunderstood how CEA's system works. Admittedly, not a lot of forethought went into this.

The .s3dpak files are what contain all of the Saber 3D engine "anniversary" assets. This includes both the textures and the models, the latter of which Adjutant cannot currently process or extract.

I had thought that the anniversary .map files would contain the anniversary models, and that the textures to which could be acquired from the .s3dpak files. This is only half-true: with Adjutant, I'll only be getting my hands on the stock Halo 1 models contained within the .maps, and not the anniversary models.

Oh well. I wonder how certain people within the Source engine community - as well as VKMT with their HCEA masterchief - got access to the the anniversary models? Perhaps the answer to that one's above my paygrade?
Edited by Bungie LLC on Jan 4, 2018 at 02:46 PM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 07:18 PM    Msg. 14 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: Bungie LLC

It also would seem that I didn't read the Adjutant documentation close enough and I generally misunderstood how CEA's system works. Admittedly, not a lot of forethought went into this.

The .s3dpak files are what contain all of the Saber 3D engine "anniversary" assets. This includes both the textures and the models, the latter of which Adjutant cannot currently process or extract.

I had thought that the anniversary .map files would contain the anniversary models, and that the textures to which could be acquired from the .s3dpak files. This is only half-true: with Adjutant, I'll only be getting my hands on the stock Halo 1 models contained within the .maps, and not the anniversary models.

Oh well. I wonder how certain people within the Source engine community - as well as VKMT with their HCEA masterchief - got access to the the anniversary models? Perhaps the answer to that one's above my paygrade?
Edited by Bungie LLC on Jan 4, 2018 at 02:46 PM

Allow me to answer that:

We have someone who is actually able to, with some varying degrees of success, rip models from the sabre stuff because its used elsewhere. Through some odd ends and conversions, textures, models, and some sounds are rippable, but there are caveats with each

Textures cannot be ripped at the highest quality, and are sometimes even lower than their CE counterparts

Models are skewed in terrible ways. It took me a good 3 hours to fix the chief's scale to be proper, and even then it wasn't skinned (i had to do that myself, it was not fun). BSPs are far worse since each peice of isntance geometry is distorted differently than its others, and the main clusters are horribly disfigured.

Sounds are all rippable, but not all work. Some are broken and flutter in as white noise (iirc) and others are distorted otherwise. These sounds, however, can still be ripped with adjutant since they're shared amongst the two versions

Bungie LLC

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 08:25 PM    Msg. 15 of 24       
It could be that you guys were accidentally ripping the mipmaps for the textures themselves, which also happen to be stored in most of the .s3dpak files. I'm pretty sure the "pak_stream" file is the one that contains almost all of the game's full-resolution textures, as opposed to the others, which only contain level specific textures, among other things.

notrododo93

Project Armonia lead (and only) developer

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 03:40 PM    Msg. 16 of 24       
I am still amused by how the tags I released a while ago have only been used on latino maps.

SomeFan

Discordapp: SomeFan#0171

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 07:17 PM    Msg. 17 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: notrododo93
I am still amused by how the tags I released a while ago have only been used on latino maps.

thats because they can't afford the real thing & Halo CE is super easy to pirate (don't do it boys).
Edited by SomeFan on Jan 5, 2018 at 07:22 PM

Bungie LLC

Posted: Jan 6, 2018 12:08 AM    Msg. 18 of 24       

What tags are you referring to? Do you mean the assorted halo reach vehicles, or something else?

BioGoji1989

Posted: Jan 6, 2018 11:11 AM    Msg. 19 of 24       

What tags are you referring to? Do you mean the assorted halo reach vehicles, or something else?

I think he means all of them. I can tell you right now that after playing a handful of Spanish CE mods using Reach models, the majority of the models for weapons, vehicles, and bipeds are nearly identical. There may be some minor differences here and there, but most of these mods use identical models of bipeds for Grunt and Elite minors, majors, ultras, etc...

Weapons are a bit different when it comes to additional weapons such as the Battle Rifle and Covenant Carbine, but for the basic Halo weapons most of them use the same MA37 Assault Rifle, M6G Magnum, DMR, Sniper Rifle, Rocket Launcher, Plasma Rifle, Needler, and Plasma Pistol models.

Maybe Latino maps aren't the only ones that use his tags, but they are featured far more than anyone else's.
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Jan 6, 2018 at 11:12 AM

notrododo93

Project Armonia lead (and only) developer

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 10:46 AM    Msg. 20 of 24       

assorted halo reach vehicles, in the vid of c10 """"CEA"""" posted by AltSierra117. I have clearly recognized at least my dropship and my covenant shield generator. Besides that, the ghost I had released back then have been used at least once by pretty much every latino modder I have seen on Youtube. One of them (Antrax, IIRC) was even brave enough to place a space banshee in a H4 remake of Bloodgulch -switching my vfx with CMT ones, for the record. I'd probably had found it hilarious, if only I wasn't so offended.
Edited by notrododo93 on Jan 7, 2018 at 10:53 AM

Bungie LLC

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 02:51 PM    Msg. 21 of 24       
I'm sorry to hear that. But you can't control where your content ends up, and you should know by now that kind of fate is typical of ports from later installments of the franchise. It's Been a meme in this community forever.

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 04:13 PM    Msg. 22 of 24       
I don't see how you can be upset at somebody for utilizing content they stole from it's creator.

Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 7, 2018 at 04:15 PM

OrangeJuice

halohek.pbworks.com

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 05:49 PM    Msg. 23 of 24       
IMO poly-for-poly remakes of an original model are still rips to me

sparky

Fools deceive, but knowledge of Jesus is life.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 10:33 AM    Msg. 24 of 24       
This must've been buried in galaxyverge's file hierarchy. This was one of the first domains I went to search for, but after scouring through the main page, I came up empty. Doesn't surprise me one bit though, considering Sparky's the webmaster.

This appears to be what I was looking for. Thanks a ton.

Back at ya!

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed September 19, 2018 1:52 PM 312 ms.
A Halo Maps Website