A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »BSP Portalling

Author Topic: BSP Portalling (32 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 8, 2018 05:03 PM    Msg. 1 of 32       
Does anybody have any resources regarding advanced BSP portalling. I'm looking for things like the rules regarding their creation, not a youtube video of someone extruding edges

I know how to make BSP portals, I want to make the ones that bungie has in their maps. I already discovered that you can give the portals ceilings or floors, and because of that you can stack them to create portals vertically as well as horizontally.

The main issue I currently face is that I'm getting edge_division errors in Tool when I try to make a custom portal rig for my levels, and I can't debug what's causing it to crash. Moving the portals in the map causes it to compile, so it's not the geometry itself it's the placement. The portals line up with major geometry but so far as I can tell they don't perfectly line up with any major edge-clusters of the BSP geometry.

I'm looking for old forum posts, pdf files, vid tutorials, whatever. But not the same "create face, extrude edges" tutorial that comes with the HEK. Anyone left out there that knows anything?

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jan 8, 2018 07:05 PM    Msg. 2 of 32       
If you'd like some protips on portals, I've got one that I don't think most people know. I know from my own experience portalling maridia that portals are stored as a convex, co-planer, polygon. Tool (usually) only splits portals into pieces if they aren't co-planer or are concave(sometimes it goofs though and splits them anyway). If you can manage to make your portals flat and convex, you can put up to 128 vertices in each portal. You can only have 512 portal planes(exact and regular) for an entire bsp tag, and each time tool chops a portal it uses another. If every triangle in all your portals gets chopped into its own portal, you'll only have a max of 512 triangles of portal geometry! Again, this applies to both regular and exact portals.

Here's maridia if you'd like to take a look. I used only exact portals on it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/creray7gdm2gam0/New%20Maridia.max?dl=1
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jan 8, 2018 at 07:23 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 8, 2018 09:52 PM    Msg. 3 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt

If you'd like some protips on portals, I've got one that I don't think most people know. I know from my own experience portalling maridia that portals are stored as a convex, co-planer, polygon. Tool (usually) only splits portals into pieces if they aren't co-planer or are concave(sometimes it goofs though and splits them anyway). If you can manage to make your portals flat and convex, you can put up to 128 vertices in each portal. You can only have 512 portal planes(exact and regular) for an entire bsp tag, and each time tool chops a portal it uses another. If every triangle in all your portals gets chopped into its own portal, you'll only have a max of 512 triangles of portal geometry! Again, this applies to both regular and exact portals.

Here's maridia if you'd like to take a look. I used only exact portals on it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/creray7gdm2gam0/New%20Maridia.max?dl=1
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jan 8, 2018 at 07:23 PM

I want to know.

No really though, more man! Everything you know! I know so little and all the resources I've found know less.

Edit

Maridia being all exact is unfortunate as that's the more documented portal type. I did glean from your post some good info though;

Portals don't need to be a grid. They can be treated like a bubble, they have their own closed world rule in the sense that they need to either be closed by a +portal material that's seamed, or BSP structure that can be open.

The big take of that is "like a bubble"; a cube with it's normals facing inwards is a valid portal, as is taking two cubes and fusing one of their faces together. Even though the one side had double faces, the portals compiled without error in Tool or in Sapien. You can go overboard though; Tool doesn't seem to like several portals with double sided faces using the same edge, and it'll tell you YOU SHOULD FIX THIS, but it compiles.

Still doing more research. If anyone has info this is the thread for it. Time to discover one more piece of the puzzle.
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 9, 2018 at 04:36 AM

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Jan 9, 2018 03:34 PM    Msg. 4 of 32       
Portals can extend past the map collision geometry,

They can cut through geometry inside the map

And they can be doublé side and have there vertexs sold

How ever they are far more effective when you créate faces in the geometry sealing complete the are o part considered as a portal, the engine will automatically discard and avoid rendering that área when not facing it

OrangeJuice

halohek.pbworks.com

Posted: Jan 9, 2018 04:17 PM    Msg. 5 of 32       
Can always try the old crash bandicoot method of adding more geometry to render less geometry

Edited by OrangeJuice on Jan 9, 2018 at 04:58 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 12:08 AM    Msg. 6 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: EmmanuelCD
Portals can extend past the map collision geometry,

https://i.imgur.com/OKcH03d.png

They can cut through geometry inside the map

https://i.imgur.com/37WiOKu.png

And they can be doublé side and have there vertexs sold

https://i.imgur.com/19tlXv5.png

How ever they are far more effective when you créate faces in the geometry sealing complete the are o part considered as a portal, the engine will automatically discard and avoid rendering that área when not facing it

Can you list any other maps that are portalled the same way as in your screenshot?

I currently have a rig on my BSP very similar to the one you have there, but I believe I have too few portals. I still need to use exact_portals to close up the interiors, but I'm getting huge issues with the geometry rendering.

This is my most recent one. Geometry is constantly being unrendered; do I need more portals here?

OrangeJuice

halohek.pbworks.com

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 12:14 AM    Msg. 7 of 32       
Is that one giant, single mesh?

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 01:08 AM    Msg. 8 of 32       
Yep, at 30K verts. I've gotten a couple portal solutions that fix the majority of the issues with rendering, but none of them had been "good" setups yet.

XxPopeAK49xX

It's better being a jerk.

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 08:00 AM    Msg. 9 of 32       
Rip my map Hemoasis.

http://haloce3.com/downloads/multiplayer/original-multiplayer/hemoasis/?_sf_s=hemoasis

It took me awhile to learn how to portal the map, plus fighting some errors.

OrangeJuice

halohek.pbworks.com

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 01:20 PM    Msg. 10 of 32       
Try quickslicing it into mesh regions and portaling along the borders?

And maybe give yourself a walkaround of your level regarding the possible places your player can stand. Perhaps you have too many portals visible to the player at one time
Edited by OrangeJuice on Jan 10, 2018 at 02:31 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 02:19 PM    Msg. 11 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
Try quickslicing it into mesh regions and portaling along the borders?

I'm gonna have to give that a shot.

I should be taking the hint that I can't use this BSP, but it's already compiled with shaders and it's a legitimate sealed world, with the rest of the geometry compiled as scenery. Tough to let that go, when I'm so close to a solid portalling solution. There's always that one angle where it disappears somewhere far off.

Edit: Pope by the way thank you, downloaded the map and took a look. Textbook example of portalling, which was why it unfortunately didn't help. I'm trying to break the rules.
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 10, 2018 at 02:22 PM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 05:26 PM    Msg. 12 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

but I'm getting huge issues with the geometry rendering.

This is my most recent one. Geometry is constantly being unrendered; do I need more portals here?

Opposite, you have too many within the same line of sight. Personally i try to make sure that i dont have more than 3 portals within a single line of sight because the furthest one will more often than not be culled when you dont want it to. Keep portals simple, and let the exact portals do the heavy work

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 05:29 PM    Msg. 13 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper

but I'm getting huge issues with the geometry rendering.

Opposite, you have too many within the same line of sight. Personally i try to make sure that i dont have more than 3 portals within a single line of sight because the furthest one will more often than not be culled when you dont want it to. Keep portals simple, and let the exact portals do the heavy work

I love you. More, smaller portals has definitely made this worse. Gonna keep trying.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 02:12 AM    Msg. 14 of 32       
This is Exactly what we've needed!

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 08:03 AM    Msg. 15 of 32       
Deadhamster, let me guess you have nearly coplanar warnings. Usually those plus portals can create some funky rendering issues. Try fixing some of those nearly coplanars before working on portals.

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 10:15 AM    Msg. 16 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: il Duce Primo
Deadhamster, let me guess you have nearly coplanar warnings. Usually those plus portals can create some funky rendering issues. Try fixing some of those nearly coplanars before working on portals.

After deleting all the helpers and the few portal errors, here's the .WRL error geometry for the Financial District BSP, the one up above.

There's over 1000 objects there. Again, that's after deleting the helpers. Do you bychance have some magic way of fixing coplanar surfaces that doesn't involve taking each vert and adjusting them? I mean that without sarcasm, is there any magic tool 3DS has where I can make this not take several weeks.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 03:54 PM    Msg. 17 of 32       
There's nothing magical about fixing errors. It's a tedious job. Instead of just moving verts around, its easier to simply make things planar. In some time you'll develop your own methods and it'll go faster. Sorry, there is not an easy way that I know of. You can model your own bsp and avoid these modeling issues altogether.

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 11:26 AM    Msg. 18 of 32       
Does anybody have examples of BSPs with well made Terrain Portals?

Or does anybody know where to find Super Flanker?

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 11:36 AM    Msg. 19 of 32       
Import the stock mp BSPs since they have actual portals that work.

I think i'm doing something wrong

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 12:28 PM    Msg. 20 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: EmmanuelCD
Import the stock mp BSPs since they have actual portals that work.

I think i'm doing something wrong
https://i.imgur.com/x58qd9x.gif

The MP BSPs have portals? I never even really bothered to look, I've spent most the time looking at SP maps or custom levels.

But yeah those are the same types of issues I've had. I recommend LESS portals, and using them to section parts of the level. The standard grid-terrain portals are actually pretty terrible, especially for any tall buildings. Portals should be behind the surface of a building, not outside it. Portals should not disect a road in half, a long line of sight requires less portals if you want it all to render. Otherwise the cluster 3-4 away will start culling.

So for that road, that road should be one single portal going down it's entire length. The building popping in and out could be fixed by moving the portal further left so that's it's behind the surface of the building.

If you have distant geometry in the background as decorations, cover them with a box of portal planes. As long as the player is looking towards that box they will all render. Look at how B30_Evolved's decorators were portalled out in the ocean for example, the towers and rock spires each have their own personal cluster.

The biggest thing to further help your scenario; Take your current grid portals, drop them so that the top verts is just a bit over the playable area of the map, and add a "roof" of portal material to connect the ceiling so that the top of the portals are inside the BSP and sealed.

Now when portals are rendered, the tops of the buildings will all be in their own cluster group which is viewable from anywhere. The playable area of the map is still sectioned off and details you can't see will be culled, but the tops of the buildings you can see from a mile away still render without being culled.

I've learned that you don't want to use terrain portals. They're not very good, exact portals work far better. What terrain portals are useful for seems to be sectioning off large parts of the map. Unfortunately, Halo isn't very good at this when we're talking a large open environment like the kind we're making. Halo was meant for grassy hills and indoor environments, I can see why they scrapped their E3 map. Would've never made it on Xbox hardware.

IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE SUPER FLANKER IS, SEND HIM TO ME.

He seemed to know a bit about portalling BSPs. Alternatively, if you know anybody who is more knowledgeable about Terrain Portals than myself, I'm at the point where I'm willing to pay smallish amounts of money for somebody to properly portal one of my levels and explain why they did it that way.

sparky

Fools deceive, but knowledge of Jesus is life.

Posted: Mar 17, 2018 08:59 PM    Msg. 21 of 32       
Try this sequence:

1) Make +exactportal volumes to seal off enclosed areas.
2) Look at your terrain geometry overhead in wireframe view and use +portal planes to divide sections of dense geometry, but such that the +portal plane faces do not intersect the +exactportal faces.

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Mar 18, 2018 04:57 PM    Msg. 22 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Try this sequence:

1) Make +exactportal volumes to seal off enclosed areas.
2) Look at your terrain geometry overhead in wireframe view and use +portal planes to divide sections of dense geometry, but such that the +portal plane faces do not intersect the +exactportal faces.

We already did this but having to many portals makes the engine start culling them

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 18, 2018 05:33 PM    Msg. 23 of 32       
Quote: Seraphim -
well, let me try and explain my own vague knowledge with terrain portals...
the HEK tutorial grid setup, for example
on a box map which exceeds the stock polycount of 24k, when you use the grid, if you stand in a corner of the map within a portal with both it's normals facing outward, away from the player, the whole level will render. if the scene exceeds 32k polies, they begin popping and whatnot(edited)
if you stand in the opposite corner, with both the normals facing inward, then the entire level will be culled from sight, besides that portal
DeadHamster -
o_o
Seraphim -
i should probably test the phenomena more thoroughly and document results for a halomaps thread or something, but i haven't gotten around to it yet
it's really f bizarre, frankly(edited)
DeadHamster -
The face of the normals did affect terrain drawing, but that's screwy
You've personally seen/tested this?
Seraphim -
that's been my experience with it over the years, portaling levels for my friends who couldn't be bothered to read the tutorial
you know how it says normals will face to the "north and east?"
or some shot like that
DeadHamster -
So geometry is nulled based on the direction of the face
Seraphim -
yes
DeadHamster -
That's important in the way you construct them.
Seraphim -
normals are very important with portals, both regular and exact
DeadHamster -
I figured with regular not as much
Seraphim -
you can totally bone yourself if you don't pay careful attention to where your normals face
DeadHamster -
I think that changes like, almost everything
Anything else like that?
Seraphim -
when you're doing terrain portals, you have to make sure that the planes themselves SHARE vertices when you're constructing and extruding them
you cannot have them intersect, or go right through one another
they have to actually connect with one another
DeadHamster -
yup, face to face forming a sealed environment using either other +portals or level geometry
Seraphim -
right. the tutorial does a good job of explaining this
DeadHamster -
Have you seen the portals done by the TSC:E team?
Seraphim -
no i haven't, but i've heard they're einstein levels of complicated
DeadHamster -
They box everything out and use a ton of extra vertices. Which is extremely similar to how it's done by Bungie in the default TSC level
Seraphim -
if you could send me a picture of that, it'd be great so i could try and deduce how important the normals are
but if you can't be bothered that's totally fine, i have the files
DeadHamster -
By boxing out the playable area of the map, and facing the normals inward, it would only cull playable areas and not the cliffs
so the cliffs won't be culled which the player can see from a distance
and they use a TON of portals
getting screens now
Seraphim -
kay
now i know that when you start using too many portals you get even worse clipping, in most cases
DeadHamster -
yeah, and they use a ton
weird
Seraphim -
because the game only likes to have so many subclusters drawn on the player's screen at once before it just starts culling almost everything
it's a fudgeing ludicrous balancing act, seemingly
DeadHamster -
there's an overview

so see how they box out the things way out in nowhere? the decorators?
normals face inwards
That would make them always show, no?
Seraphim -
transparency's making it hard as hell to see...
backface cull on?
DeadHamster -

Seraphim -
so they box them in with the normals facing inwards or outwards?
DeadHamster -
in
Seraphim -
probably outwards?
DeadHamster -

I'll brb, give me like 10-15 minutes
Seraphim -
no problem at all
DeadHamster -
and yes their normals ALWAYS face inwards to the portal

Seraphim -
okay, it might be that, while you're within a terrain portal volume, the geometry within will render, as well as geometry outside of the volume that's VISIBLE to the player
when you leave that volume, and you traverse to another volume, and that original volume is no longer visible to the player or is occluded by BSP geometry, it will cull itself
this is accounting for volumes that have normals facing inwards
if they were facing outwards, it would probably be reversed
in the reverse scenario, where normals face outwards for the volumes, the player would probably see all the geometry within their subcluster, but no other geometry outside of that cluster would be rendered or drawn
i'll tell you what i'll do: i'll use this theory and apply it to my terrain portaling of your cityscape level that you sent me. when i get that finished, i'll send it to you and you can compile it and see if it works at all like intended
DeadHamster -
I believe that clusters get defined by inwards facing +portal planes, and that you can view clusters close to yours
Overview of the whole exterior.

They regularly use volumes with over 4 sides
and less
Seraphim -
i think i get the idea now
normals are still important in this example regardless, because i have firsthand experience with what happens when they aren't consistent or when they all face towards one direction or corner of a map
because at either extreme, ALL the geometry renders or NONE of it renders
as per the grid example, specifically speaking
see, the gearbox devs didn't have to worry about high polycounts though
they express that an MP level should never exceed 10k polies in the tutorial, despite the default draw for the game being 24k
so they probably had shotty, basic portaling throughout and didn't have extensive knowledge of it anyway
DeadHamster -
That's a wireframe of CMT's portals.
DeadHamster -
But as per the wireframe, notice that they have verts in the middle of portal faces
Portals when compiled will get marked down to the simplest possible shapes, per Moses
so long as their convex coplanar blah blah blah
Seraphim -
he's told me that much as well

Some good info there. More work being done.

sparky

Posted: Mar 18, 2018 08:56 PM    Msg. 24 of 32       
Portals are not important. The matter you should consider are clusters -- "cluster portals". Portal planes are simply used to define clusters, which is what the game engine uses to separate geometry, but not just for rendering, but actual recognized areas such as wind and sound. Basically, it's a way to show the game engine what resources it needs to use for environment processing. Units (bipeds and vehicles) and other Object-related tag types use Levels of Detail and are not culled, whereas audiovisual elements like ambience, sound, and wind related to the SBSP tag are managed. To demonstrate this, swap the bloodgulch terrain's .shader_environment tag reference in Eschaton for a transparent shader, so you can see through the terrain. Then watch the flag movement inside the base as you move near the base exits, to see what happens to the processing of wind as the base interior goes in and out of culled view. See, it's not a matter of what you see, but of where your player camera is in the game environment. It's basically a whole Direct3D / OpenGL issue with limitations imposed by the game engine (which can be altered through modifications like what OpenSauce or HAC2 do with "increased render limits"). It does not have to do with your +portal geometry, so it's not really a question of how to best make +portal volumes, but how to make a level that can be segmented into clusters without causing too much overlap in cluster references -- so that when you're looking in a certain direction, you don't look into other clusters at angles that would make it "difficult" for the game engine to determine whether or not your camera is actually looking "into" or "at" that cluster volume. So that means you should keep all your +portal geometry away from sharp angled areas, and when there are sharp angles, use +exactportal instead.

What you see -- the camera view -- is already culled by OpenGL or Direct3D or whatever the rendering engine is that's being used. Only what the camera views is what is rendered, and so that's why you can look at something directly and it will be fine, but by turning the camera to the side towards a 90-degree angle of view of that object, the object might start to disappear from view, or parts of its geometry might visibly vanish. The game engine needs to calculate the camera field of view and such to determine what should be rendered. And if you have complicated geometry or portal areas, that is made difficult. But the game engine loves +exactportal volumes, because they can be rendered at a specific viewing angle to the contained geometry.

So basically wherever you have some sharp angle in the SBSP, figure out a way to use +exactportal instead of +portal, and only use +portal for defining large cluster areas, to segment the geometry for engine limitation purposes (like avoiding too many triangles per cluster).

And the main reason why B30 had so many clusters was because the map designers apparently wanted to have different ambience based upon where the player was, so that being close to shore would produce a different ambience, and being in the interior would be a different sound, and being near the entrance to the "museum" would be a different sound. So it was mostly about "what is this environment supposed to be, in terms of wind and sound" rather than worrying about culled faces with geometry rendering.
Edited by sparky on Mar 18, 2018 at 09:15 PM

@EmmanuelCD
If your geometry clips like that, try making those buildings into scenery instead, and using LODs. There is a limit to the amount of scenery that is rendered at once when facing a certain direction, but the LODs should help. And they are large enough that damage passing through them shouldn't present a problem.
Edited by sparky on Mar 18, 2018 at 09:18 PM

And remember to set the .shader_model material properly, because no matter how fancy a map is, if all the material impact responses are dirt -- if when you shoot at every object, it emits dirt particles -- then the map is basically unplayable.
Edited by sparky on Mar 18, 2018 at 09:21 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 18, 2018 10:36 PM    Msg. 25 of 32       
All of that is understood, I'm trying to figure out the rules on constructing them and using them properly. They do cull and in different ways than exact portals. The two are not interchangeable but need to be used alongside each other.

sparky

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 07:46 AM    Msg. 26 of 32       
Don't have a single triangle within more than two clusters...

The main issue I currently face is that I'm getting edge_division errors in Tool when I try to make a custom portal rig for my levels, and I can't debug what's causing it to crash. Moving the portals in the map causes it to compile, so it's not the geometry itself it's the placement. The portals line up with major geometry but so far as I can tell they don't perfectly line up with any major edge-clusters of the BSP geometry.

Don't have a single edge in more than two clusters...
Edited by sparky on Mar 19, 2018 at 07:51 AM

Otherwise, the game engine is like "why is this triangle in so many clusters, I won't render the triangles adjacent to it because I don't want to have to load so many clusters at once".
Edited by sparky on Mar 19, 2018 at 07:53 AM

Use those deductive reasoning skills.
Edited by sparky on Mar 19, 2018 at 07:54 AM

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 08:48 AM    Msg. 27 of 32       
From testing that I've done they do not cull in different ways. The only difference that occurs is during the process of running the model through tool. Tool does not do any modification to exact portals but regular portals it cuts up and turns them into exact portals to fit the geometry they're placed in. That's why they're typically used in large terrain areas where it would be difficult or too tedious to sit there make exact portals. Once the model is gone through tool the game makes no distinction between exact portals or not. They're all simply portals.

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 08:57 AM    Msg. 28 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky

Don't have a single triangle within more than two clusters...

Don't have a single edge in more than two clusters...

That's very very helpful, hadn't really considered that yet.

Quote: --- Original message by: il Duce Primo
From testing that I've done they do not cull in different ways. The only difference that occurs is during the process of running the model through tool. Tool does not do any modification to exact portals but regular portals it cuts up and turns them into exact portals to fit the geometry they're placed in. That's why they're typically used in large terrain areas where it would be difficult or too tedious to sit there make exact portals. Once the model is gone through tool the game makes no distinction between exact portals or not. They're all simply portals.

This makes a lot of sense. I know it cut portals based on terrain, but it makes perfect sense that it "converts" them to exacts.

Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 19, 2018 at 08:58 AM

sparky

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 10:20 AM    Msg. 29 of 32       
Looking at the assembly instructions could reveal what the HEK is doing when generating a structure from a .jms tag.

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Mar 22, 2018 09:44 PM    Msg. 30 of 32       
Or you now, we can use fog for culling

sparky

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 06:32 PM    Msg. 31 of 32       
Back when I used a laptop and its fan would spin quickly and it would become hot, I discovered that my mods that use dense fog made it easier for the processing, the rendering, for the GPU.

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Mar 27, 2018 12:13 AM    Msg. 32 of 32       
Becuase geometry behind a fog screen wil not render, thats why

like n64 in Toruk 2, or PS with Silent Hill

the thing I noticed, clusters get fwck3d up when portals cross a coplanar geometry like this and both clusters get merged in one

So as portals dont intercept coplanars all fine.

Before you ask yes, geometry was completly sealed

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed September 19, 2018 1:52 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website