A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »How to properly add new weapons to campaign maps.

Author Topic: How to properly add new weapons to campaign maps. (4 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

BioGoji1989

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 05:18 PM    Msg. 1 of 4       
I am just starting out with modding. I've only recently figured out, thanks to MosesofEgypt helping me, how to properly compile a .map file in tool. Currently, I've slowly been learning how to edit various tag properties that already exist within the game, but when I try to add anything new from another tagset, it doesn't work. The only thing that I can import and have compiled properly is the plasma rifle jackal tag set from Virus =X=, but that's it. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.

I copy and paste the new weapon tags into the weapons folder, and I go into Mozarilla to make sure that they show up in the weapons palette in the .scenario file. What step am I missing, because the map won't compile.

Does anyone have any advice?

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 06:31 PM    Msg. 2 of 4       
Quote: --- Original message by: BioGoji1989
I copy and paste the new weapon tags into the weapons folder

NO!

Open a map in HEK+ or Refinery. See how everything is organized by folder, or a hierarchy? See how it goes weapons/assault rifle/assault rifle?

See how that matches your tags folder exactly?

Every tag contains references to another tag. The data used to "reference" it is the filepath relative to the tags folder.

So, if your AR is in Halo Custom Edition\tags\weapons\assault rifle\assault rifle.weapon

The relative tagpath is weapons\assault rifle\assault rifle.weapon

Now, when you rip tags out of a map or download them, they are extracted in their relative path format. So extracting an assault rifle with refinery/HEK+, the assault rifle.weapon file is placed inside a folder called assault rifle. and that Assault Rifle folder is placed inside a folder called weapons. And that weapons folder is placed inside your tags folder.

So when you download tags or extract them, you CANNOT move them. If you do, the relative filepath is now pointing to a non-existent file and that's where your errors telling you to contact a bungie programmer come from.

So, when you download tags rip all the folders directly to the TAGS folder. And when you rip them using HEK+ or Refinery, ALWAYS select recursive and always extract to the tags folder. NEVER overwrite.

BioGoji1989

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 07:35 PM    Msg. 3 of 4       
I have the battle rifle in a folder called battle rifle. The filepath is as such: weapons\battle rifle\battle rifle. But that isn't the problem. The problem is that any successful map compilation doesn't actually feature the weapon (for reasons unknown), or I get errors telling me that the program can't open the files related to the weapon. I've already used guerrilla and mozzarilla to find and replace all red-letter files so that there aren't any issues, but I still can't seem to get things to work for me. Do I have to include the entire folder that I extracted the new weapon from and install it alongside the rest of the map's tag folders?

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 02:55 AM    Msg. 4 of 4       
Quote: --- Original message by: BioGoji1989
Do I have to include the entire folder that I extracted the new weapon from and install it alongside the rest of the map's tag folders?

I imagine you probably already fixed this, but to clarify, yes you do need to do this. There are probably bitmaps/shaders/sounds that you're missing.

Basically, you should open the .rar/.zip, and extract directly to the tags folder. Unless the guy who made it messed up, you can find wherever the tag is hidden and select it with Sapien.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu October 18, 2018 3:05 PM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website