A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Custom UI Map Lists

Author Topic: Custom UI Map Lists (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo Noob Modder117

I guess I'm just going to have to rip your tags

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 07:16 AM    Msg. 1 of 5       
Well so far this year has been great for me regarding modding as now I can do everything except get 3DS MAX to work with BSPs, biped edits etc. Anyway...

I finally had great success with my custom UI that incorporates custom campaign missions, multiplayer maps etc. However I think I have just 1 little issue left (hopefully).

What controls what maps (map names on the left) show up in the multiplayer map list? Like the universal UI has with whatever selections and split categories of maps based on the authors, I wanted my custom map section to NOT display the 19 default maps and rather edit it to show the custom maps.

OR. I can just add every map and corresponding detail and picture (yes I took screenshots of each map and made descriptions for all of them!) to the default map list, though still, what controls the map names that appear by default?

EDIT: I found out how to make each list item display words from a string list so that changes the name issue. So how do I make my UI operate like the universal UI, linking my maps to the map names on my list?
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Jan 27, 2018 at 08:11 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 09:26 AM    Msg. 2 of 5       
The engine loads any mapfiles in the MAPS folder and assumes they are multiplayer maps. It MAY ignore a10, a30 etc.

Any map that isn't stock is given the ? image and the unknown location description. AFAIK there's no way to modify or change this.

The universal UI separates the SP maps which must be called by scripts to load. You don't want to do that for MP maps however, it loads the map as though it was a campagin level. No gametype options get applied.

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 10:07 AM    Msg. 3 of 5       
Damn... I just wasted 2 days of my life. So basically this is what I did...

I copied the post-game map select list (if I made a button that lead to the regular map select via the LAN option the game would crash for some reason). It functions the same like the regular one except of course its accessed via a new menu button.

I completed the right display panels, adding 20 new map names, descriptions and pictures. I later found out how to change the display names on the left list. The only issue I had was that after I renamed Battle Creek to display as Test Map, despite being a success, the Test Map label kept loading Battle Creek.

I wish there was something that could simply link the text to the map...

Otherwise, assuming its an edit thing, how on earth can I go about making a blank map list from scratch? We've got all the tag resources minus a map list that isn't hard-coded.

I had a work around for adding 1 extra map to the multiplayer list but the damn thing is limited to 20 unique pictures and descriptions so that idea was a bust too...

EDIT: I'm going to assume, script wise, you can tell the UI to load slots for any scenario listed within the script. Question is, how the heck do I go about accessing or creating a script for the UI to look for maps as the Universal UI does?
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Jan 27, 2018 at 11:12 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 02:33 PM    Msg. 4 of 5       
Universal UI doesn't look for maps. It's preprogrammed with a script to run the maps that are featured, they knew ahead what SPV3 maps would be named and could work around that. You can browse through all the possible campaign maps, it'll only actually start if you have the mapfile in the MAPS folder.

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 07:24 PM    Msg. 5 of 5       
Alright I tried copying the UUI script but so far nothings working, when I try to compile the script for my UI I get this error:

[ui line 26] this left parenthesis is unmatched.: (if
recompiling scripts after scenarios were merged.
this left parenthesis is unmatched.: (if

So the error is in line 26 obviously but what the heck does it mean by left parenthesis being unmatched? I assume the 'if' part is wrong. I really want to pull this off, I don't want to give up just yet...

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu October 18, 2018 3:19 PM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website