A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »OS Sapien?

Author Topic: OS Sapien? (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Reshirom200

I meant to join earlier, but I didn't :P

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 11:38 AM    Msg. 1 of 6       
Is there an os sapien, ive seen fourms of os sapien crashes, etc, does an os sapien really exist?

Halo Noob Modder117

When all mod plans fail just rip everyone elses...

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 05:42 PM    Msg. 2 of 6       
Actually I too have had this dilemma. I don't want to use OS because I just got the handle of OG (what I now like to call vanilla stuff) but being able to create or modify the available OS tags would be fun I guess.

Not really any solid 'how to' guides on this either...

It would be nice to have the OS tools side-by-side with my OG tools...
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Jan 28, 2018 at 05:52 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 11:08 PM    Msg. 3 of 6       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halo Noob Modder117

Actually I too have had this dilemma. I don't want to use OS because I just got the handle of OG (what I now like to call vanilla stuff) but being able to create or modify the available OS tags would be fun I guess.

Not really any solid 'how to' guides on this either...

It would be nice to have the OS tools side-by-side with my OG tools...
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Jan 28, 2018 at 05:52 PM

You need to download and install OpenSauce HEK.

https://haloce3.com/downloads/applications/open-sauce-4-0/

That installer should install OSV4, and also have options for the OS_HEK. The OS_HEK is stored alongside the stock. If you open tags in OS HEK, it automatically converts them into the OSV4 format. They are then INSTANTLY unusable in stock HEK. DO NOT USE OS_HEK UNLESS YOU PLAN ON COMPILING TO OS FORMAT. You can edit OS tags, but don't edit any tags you don't want to compile into OpenSauce.

Reshirom200

Posted: Jan 29, 2018 08:39 PM    Msg. 4 of 6       
I am guessing that if os hek wont work with vanilla hek then hek plus wont work with vanilla and open sauce hek?

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 05:38 AM    Msg. 5 of 6       
Quote: --- Original message by: Reshirom200
I am guessing that if os hek wont work with vanilla hek then hek plus wont work with vanilla and open sauce hek?

Let me try to sum everything up.

There's stock Halo CE, and the .map files. This is editable with Guerilla/Tool/Sapien (HEK), and you can extract tags with HEK+. HEK+ is good, but not perfect. You should use Refinery, which does the same thing (extracts tags) but does it with less errors.

Then there's OpenSauce, and the .yelo files. OpenSauce has several custom tags that guerilla/tool/sapien won't recognize. That's why there's OS_Sapien/OS_Guerilla/OS_Tool.

But on top of custom tags, some stock tags have modifications. Shader Models are an example. As soon as you open a shader_model in OS_Guerilla, the tag is "upgraded". This isn't a true upgrade, the program OS_Guerilla just assumes ALL tags it opens are OS style, and when it saves it only saves OS style tags. So as soon as you open a tag in any OS_ variant program, it is saved as an OS style tag.

HEK+ can extract OS style tags, but it doesn't know they're OS so it tries to extract them as stock. This causes errors and unusable tags.

Refinery, however, can extract both OpenSauce tags and Stock Tags with almost no errors. This is the program you should be using

Reshirom200

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 04:44 PM    Msg. 6 of 6       
OHHHHHHHhhhh. Thanks dude, youve cleared up my life right now

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri February 23, 2018 11:04 AM 484 ms.
A Halo Maps Website