A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Refinery tutorial?

Author Topic: Refinery tutorial? (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Reshirom200

u wot m8

Posted: Feb 4, 2018 06:09 PM    Msg. 1 of 10       
Ive looked everywhere for a refinery tutorial but found nothing. Does anyone know where one is or knows the program well?

BioGoji1989

Posted: Feb 4, 2018 10:22 PM    Msg. 2 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: Reshirom200
Ive looked everywhere for a refinery tutorial but found nothing. Does anyone know where one is or knows the program well?

Well, I think that the MEK does include a Read Me file for itself in the READMES folder that is created during the installation of MEK. That is as close as you're going to get for a tutorial on Refinery itself at this point in time. What specifically about Refinery do you wish to have more information regarding?

Reshirom200

u wot m8

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 05:23 PM    Msg. 3 of 10       
For now I'm having deprotection process problems it simply won't allow me to see them or modify them, I am also having troubles getting the map's scenario. And sometimes certain scenery or bipeds don't work properly in sapien with a pallete error

BioGoji1989

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 10:10 PM    Msg. 4 of 10       
For now I'm having deprotection process problems it simply won't allow me to see them or modify them, I am also having troubles getting the map's scenario. And sometimes certain scenery or bipeds don't work properly in sapien with a pallete error

Well, for deprotection, I usually don't have much success either. It really depends on the individual map. As of this moment, I have yet to successfully deprotect every protected file in any map, which frustrates me to no end because some maps contain bipeds and weapons that I would really love to use in my campaign mods. Sometimes I can deprotect a third or even half of the protected files, but I can never deprotect all of them.

Now for getting a scenario, that's something that you probably won't be able to get simply on its own, because a scenario file depends almost entirely on all of the other tags in the map. It is quite simply the most tag-dependent file in the entire structure of a map. If you want a map's scenario, your best bet is to simply extract the entire map and then copy/paste the scenario file somewhere so that you have a backup in case something goes wrong.

Now, for Sapien, I'm afraid you'll have better luck asking someone else. I've only toyed with Sapien a few times, instead preferring to stick with Mozzarilla and Kornman's Guerilla for editing the scenario file and other things.

I hope this helps.

Reshirom200

u wot m8

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 10:59 PM    Msg. 5 of 10       
Thanks that helped me a lot! Now I've got one more question, I just recently extracted spv3 tags and I need to know how to place them in without being so FREAKIN huge that it instantly consumes the scenario file, do you have any idea on how to do this??

BioGoji1989

Posted: Feb 7, 2018 12:01 AM    Msg. 6 of 10       
Thanks that helped me a lot! Now I've got one more question, I just recently extracted spv3 tags and I need to know how to place them in without being so FREAKIN huge that it instantly consumes the scenario file, do you have any idea on how to do this??

Unfortunately, no. I do not know. Now, for some convenience, there is a non-OS pack of CMT tags that contain nearly all of the tags used in SPV3 out there. You can find it in the forums by perusing the archives. You can also use the forum's search options by entering "CMT evolved core tags" in the search phrase box, without the quotations. That should help you find it. The tags are optimized so that they don't take up too much file space on their own, but if you're hoping to use OpenSauce tags, then you'd have better luck asking someone else. I haven't touched OpenSauce yet, as I'm still learning my way around how to mod with vanilla tags. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but it's what I've got. Hope this helps.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Feb 7, 2018 02:23 PM    Msg. 7 of 10       
Just poping in to mention that first off, Refinery does NOT allow you to edit the tags in a map. It has a DISPLAY button, not an EDIT button. Also, while Refinery might not be able to automatically deprotect EVERY tag in heavily mangled maps, it allows you to manually fix them with some trial and error. The rename feature allows you to change a tags class(not just rename), so if the classes of certain tags don't get fixed, you can try changing them yourself. To do this you will either need to take a complete guess, or look at where other tags use them to get an idea.

NOTE: I just made some updates to Refinery that affect the deprotection, so you might want to update. Either download and install the newest MEKE or run the MEK updater. It depends on whether you are using the MEK or MEKE.

Here's a Revelations, a heavily protected map. I ran it through deprotect, manually fixed a couple of the remaining classes, and ran the deprotect again to finish fixing it. All tags are now extractable from it. Names are still fairly useless, but the map should extract just fine(though scripts that reference specific tags won't know them by their auto-deprotected names).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ysymjmdi7j08bq/revelations_DEPROTECTED.rar?dl=1

Most of the time the missing tag dependencies Refinery cant find are tag_collection and ui_widget_collection tags. These tags point to all the ui_widget_definition tags, which point to their own bitmaps and sounds and other ui_widget_definitions. If the collections are missed by the deprotector, ALL of those will be missed.

Btw, when I say "manually" what I meant is I opened the map in a hex editor, scrolled to where Refinery said the tags are each located at, and discerned their types by the data. It's a skill most people here won't have, and is kinda ad-hoc to acquire.

Also, the thing about how the tags are stored in a map is that the dependencies higher up on the chain have lower tag index ids. If you sort the tags in Refinery by index id after the first deprotection pass, the first 5 or so "invalid" ones are highly likely to be tag_collection or ui_widget_collection tags. The only REAL difference between those 2 tag types is that tag_collections can reference ANY kind of tag, while ui_widget_collection can only reference ui_widget_definition tags. They have the EXACT same structure.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Feb 7, 2018 at 02:38 PM

Reshirom200

u wot m8

Posted: Feb 7, 2018 05:46 PM    Msg. 8 of 10       
Thanks guys, but there's one more problem I promise. Ok so I got the non os tags like biogoji said and winrar says unknown method in the diagnostics, that's literally my last problem.

Please tell me if I have to update winrar, that's probably the case but I'm not sure

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Feb 7, 2018 06:24 PM    Msg. 9 of 10       
Quote:
Please tell me if I have to update winrar

Yup.

Reshirom200

u wot m8

Posted: Feb 7, 2018 07:02 PM    Msg. 10 of 10       
OH ok thanks

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed October 17, 2018 10:55 AM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website