A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Possibly the final question I'd ever have to ask...

Author Topic: Possibly the final question I'd ever have to ask... (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo Noob Modder117

When all mod plans fail just rip everyone elses...

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 02:21 AM    Msg. 1 of 5       
So... What is the simple fix for red triangle producing BSPs where the red triangles are the glass bits, grates etc.

I've been digging around and didn't want to bump similar hundred year old threads.

I gave up last year because my tools were failing me but now that I got everything working (finally) I've given mapping another shot.

But yeah use a10 as an example, import stock bsp into 3ds max, export altered or untouched stock bsp out of 3ds max=red triangles around windows, door frames, grate sections etc.

How do we bypass this? I assume I have to assign these areas or textures as a certain material?

Much appreciated. Loving the support floating around here this year so far, like this joint is becoming alive again.

Kinnet

My discord: Kinnet#1359

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 02:27 AM    Msg. 2 of 5       

Putting a % in the shader for the glass on 3ds max should fix most of those problems.
Edited by Kinnet on Feb 9, 2018 at 02:28 AM

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 08:10 AM    Msg. 3 of 5       
Ahhh I get it now... So when extracting the BSPs, these materials don't come out with those special markers. Unless they're supposed to, do they? Can the BSP export with those or do I have to change them all myself again in 3ds max?

So the % is good for glass though I assume I just use it for those grate things too?

SBB_Michelle

I am me!

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 05:28 PM    Msg. 4 of 5       
When you extract a bsp to a model, you're only getting the render model, it has no collision specific material markers and atributes, it will miss the skybox, fog planes and things like that.

You will need to add these things back by yourself. You will also need to make sure that things like glass only have one side of their model actually modelled. What I mean with that is that they can not be doublesided, this causes overlapping face errors. It will be visually correct if it is only one sided in 3dsmax with a % in the material. You will also want the # identifier as it marks the material as see trough, if this is not done, things behind your glass and grates will derender if you portalled your map.

Portals will also be missing, so for some maps this can cause rendering issues and performance issues.

This is where most people usually go for the material symbols btw: http://hce.halomaps.org/hek/index.html?start=references/general/materials_overview.html
Should be a good source to help you.

Here is a tutorial index btw, it could be really helpful for you: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MK6ImBKO8te87dp406CWbq0xSg2uHTdxG_bKIGNF5Wk/edit?usp=sharing

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 06:22 AM    Msg. 5 of 5       
Thanks for the info people, I'll be diving into this head first over the weekend and have a go.

EDIT: well I have excellent news, I added a % after the glass and, after finally figuring which annoying little part had needed a % (alpha test!!!) I lost most of my triangles...

EDIT2: I did it. Finally. Most of my maps I made adding stock and slightly modified BSPs worked.

I do still have one little annoying thing on my mind though, some of a10's BSPs are impossible for me to edit. Is this even possible? Like if someone has actually had success in actually editing some of the stock a10 BSPs do please share the process you did so we can reference it for the future.

Making maps is fun but very time consuming. I wanted to cut up corridors and rooms and then create a collection of prefabs if you know what I mean and then have them as building blocks for future maps. Which I've partially done but you know, the ones I really want from a10 are an issue for me because I cannot even do anything with a10/d40 essentially.
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Feb 12, 2018 at 07:20 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri February 23, 2018 3:38 AM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website