A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Question About Flood Actor Variants

Author Topic: Question About Flood Actor Variants (3 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

BioGoji1989

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 01:40 PM    Msg. 1 of 3       
Okay, so I'm almost finished testing out my newest mod for c40, but something that's gotten my attention lately is that there is a flood combat elite sniper rifle actor variant in the vanilla tags. When I tried to implement it into one of my builds, it wouldn't show up. It was already in the scenario file, but when I tried using it to replace a certain rocket flood in a certain section, the combat form wouldn't show up. I've figured out that the scenario won't load certain actor variants if their bipeds don't have animations for using certain weapons (and it will just replace them with a major variant or a similar actor variant if that tag is linked with another one that uses an accepted animation), but my question is just why Bungie left this actor variant in the game if it was unusable. Keep in mind, this actor variant can be found in the vanilla tag files of the map, straight from the PC port. It is not something I made on my own.

I'm not going to use the sniper flood at this point, but I would like some information regarding its history, if anyone knows anything. I'm just kind of curious is all.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 02:18 PM    Msg. 2 of 3       
Probably for the same reason everyone hates flood controlling tanks in Halo 2. Find and neutralize them immediately, or die in a fire. Compound that with the flood's ability to climb walls and jump like a maniac, and you have a stupid threat on your hands.

Imagine trying to hunker down, find, and pick off the sniper flood while also being swarmed by regular flood. Or consider that precision weapons(the only thing that's really going to hit an enemy at sniper range and the only thing you'll get from killing this flood) are practically useless against flood. Precision weapons are virtually non-existent on flood levels for a reason. At least rocket launchers projectiles are slow enough that you can see the burning rocket against the dark in the distance and move to avoid it. With snipers you don't even have that luxury.

EDIT: Also, there's this thing that just flies around quarantine zone and the attached tank can just target the player and launch a shell at them. Sounds like a lot of fun just playing the game and all of a sudden a tank shell from god wrecks you while you're just minding your own business. Funny sure, but not after the 10th time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_pT84Ob3Y0
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Feb 10, 2018 at 02:27 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 02:19 PM    Msg. 3 of 3       
Open up B30 The Silent Cartographer.

Find the biped characters\engineer\engineer\

Bungie got bought by microsoft and microsoft pushed a hard deadline. When the deadline comes, you cut out what you don't need. They didn't need flood with snipers.

Also, flood shouldn't have the technical knowledge for sniping anyway. I don't care about your fan fiction, none of the novels are canon. Speaking on gameplay mechanics, the type of enemy that the flood represents and the role they fill does not overlap with the role of a sniper.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed October 17, 2018 10:54 AM 157 ms.
A Halo Maps Website