A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »I Finally Understand How to Work Flood Actor Variants In The Campaign!

Author Topic: I Finally Understand How to Work Flood Actor Variants In The Campaign! (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

BioGoji1989

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 10:20 AM    Msg. 1 of 6       
To anyone who is also new at modding and is frustrated by their Flood Actor Variants with new weapons not showing up in c10, c20, d20, or d40, I have finally figured out how to make it work. Note that I didn't mention c40, because that level is actually structured in a way that makes this method unnecessary.

Basically, just make sure that the new Flood actor variants are set as the major variants of one or two of the normal Flood actor variants. So, to make a floodcombat human SMG actor variant show up in c20, just set it as the major variant of a floodcombat human plasma pistol or needler variant, or whichever variant you don't care about not seeing a whole bunch of anymore.

Now, of course, this is for vanilla styled mods, without OpenSauce. I'm sure that OpenSauce would allow for some other methods, but since I haven't experimented with OS yet, this is what I've got.

I'm also posting this so that if I ever forget how to make new Flood actor variants show up in the future, I can just come back here and find this post as a reference.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 10:53 AM    Msg. 2 of 6       
There are different AI actors for the major vs the minors, and each one uses their own weapons. It sounds like you only changed the weapons on the majors.

Also, each AI tag has a reference for a "Major" upgrade, and each ai squad you place in sapien has a value for how many of the AI will be converted into majors based on the difficulty level.

Also, you can select the AI based on individual spawn points, which can also be incredible useful if you start getting into some advanced scripting functions.

BioGoji1989

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 11:13 AM    Msg. 3 of 6       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
There are different AI actors for the major vs the minors, and each one uses their own weapons. It sounds like you only changed the weapons on the majors.

Also, each AI tag has a reference for a "Major" upgrade, and each ai squad you place in sapien has a value for how many of the AI will be converted into majors based on the difficulty level.

Also, you can select the AI based on individual spawn points, which can also be incredible useful if you start getting into some advanced scripting functions.

I know how to edit the Covenant so that majors and minors appear properly. The problem is the Flood, which levels c10, c20, d20, and d40 have problems with if I don't set one of the new variants as a major for one of the default ones. I have indeed gone into the scenario and edited the encounters so that battle rifle flood or smg flood appear in certain spawn locations, either as additional AI spawns, or as replacements for existing ones, but it never works unless I use this particular method, except for two specific locations on c10, and one sporadic spawn in c20, and even that one didn't spawn consistently on multiple playthroughs.

The scenario files have most Flood encounters listed as either Floodcombat_Elite unarmed, or a very specific permutation in very specific locations. Sometimes, on d20 and d40, it's listed as INVALID, so that it will spawn randomly, I suppose.

So, while what you're saying certainly applies to Covenant AI, Flood seem to be handled very differently by the game.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 12:32 PM    Msg. 4 of 6       
Quote: --- Original message by: BioGoji1989
So, while what you're saying certainly applies to Covenant AI, Flood seem to be handled very differently by the game.

Definitely not the case.

Link to Flood Video

I've worked a lot with Flood AI. You can do whatever you want with whatever tag you want.

Are you increasing the number of actors spawned in the squad when you edit existing squads? Are you making sure that you're placing a new actor_variant tag, with the correct weapons referenced? Are you making sure that the new actor_variant tag has an appropriate major upgrade, and not one with a different weapon?

You're making an error somewhere. I don't know exactly where, but the game doesn't behave the way you're describing.

Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 19, 2018 at 12:36 PM

BioGoji1989

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 02:45 PM    Msg. 5 of 6       
Well, now that you mention it, I have neglected to change the number of spawned actors for Flood encounters, most of the time. It's just that when I also tried adding more Marines to an encounter by changing the existing number of actors, none of the battle rifle Marines or SMG Marines would appear on any difficulty, so I kind of figured the Flood would be the same way when I started out. I'll go back and test this out on d20 before I post it.

Another reason I thought that the Flood were handled differently, though, was that c40 was the only level to handle them the way that the other levels handled the Covenant. Two Betrayals was the only level that I didn't have to use the major variant upgrade trick with in order to make SMG and Battle Rifle Flood spawn. I actually edited the Flood appearances in c40 the same way that I edited Covenant appearances in all of the other levels. That's why I thought the game handled them differently for levels c10, c20, d20, and d40. Although, I discovered that there is a limit of how many actors a scenario can reference while modding c40. 63 actors or actor variants is the limit, apparently.

And yes, I have made sure that the new actor variant references the weapon I've chosen for it. Also, I don't think Flood have major variants the way the Covenant do. I simply found that selecting another Flood variant as a major for one type will cause that other type to take its place on higher difficulties.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 07:37 PM    Msg. 6 of 6       
If you don't modify the number it may only be spawning the stock amount. You should always check the values to be certain that the AI are being spawned, because default values are always 0 which would not place any AI.

Additionally, consider that I have an encounter named FLOOD, with two squads named F1 and F2.

I can use

(ai_place FLOOD)

Which will place both squads. Or I can get fancy

(ai_place FLOOD/F1)

(sleep_until (< 3 (ai_living_count FLOOD/F1)) 5)

(ai_place FLOOD/F2)

(sleep_until (= 0 (ai_living_count FLOOD)) 5)

(sleep_until (game_all_quiet) 5)
(game_save_totally_unsafe)

That script will first place ONLY the squad F1, wait until there are 2 AI left in it (less than 3), and then place F2 as reinforcements. Once both F1 and F2 are dead, it checks if the game is quiet and then does a totally unsafe instant-save.

Now, let's say Bungie wrote a script like the above to spawn an encounter. Let's say you place a new squad called F3 and add your new AI.

That AI never gets spawned. I specifically spawn only FLOOD/F1 and FLOOD/F2, never FLOOD/F3. If I had just written (ai_place FLOOD), it would place ALL the squads. But because Bungie chose to designate each one individually, the one you added never gets called. You'd have to find that section of the script and choose when your AI was spawned.

This is just another POSSIBLE reason you're seeing the results you are. I don't mean to be argumentative, I've just been doing this a long time and haven't before encountered the issues you describe.

Edit: Additionally, Major upgrades don't have to match. I can make a grunt's major upgrade a crew member from the Pillar of Autumn. And it makes sense it's more often on higher difficulties, that's how it should be.

The value in the scenario tag in sapien is called "major upgrade" or something of that nature and it determines how many of the AI spawned are converted into the actor variant they reference as a major. On easy, only 1 of 3 elites is a major, but on legendary, they make all 3 elites major. Allows you to place one encounter, run one script, and still have a variance for difficulty without having carbon-copies for easy/normal/hard/legendary.

Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 19, 2018 at 07:40 PM

Edit # 2:

If you want to test your AI in sapien, place the encounter/squad and set them up. Hit save, then while still in sapien hit on your keyboard the [ ~ ] key that's located above the [TAB] key and to the left of the [1] key.

This opens the console. Type the following in

ai_place YOUR_ENCOUNTER_NAME_HERE

obvious replace that with the name of your encounter. It will place all squads ingame, and you can verify that you have the tag itself setup properly. If it works in Sapien but not in Halo, try looking at the scripts for the level and making sure that the squad you placed is actually being spawned. If it doesn't work, look at the squad and encounter settings and make the changes you need.

Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 19, 2018 at 09:00 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri June 22, 2018 10:22 PM 359 ms.
A Halo Maps Website