A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Questions about AI weapons and biped compatability

Author Topic: Questions about AI weapons and biped compatability (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

BioGoji1989

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 11:18 AM    Msg. 1 of 9       
I'm almost done with my current mod, but for my next mod, I'm planning on using some modern day weapons in place of the futuristic UNSC weapons. What I want to know is if the weapons I plan on ripping from various multiplayer maps (and tag packs found on this site) are compatible with the Marine and Flood bipeds and gbx models found in the game. I'm sure that various CMT models could handle things, but I'd like to know if the default Marine actors and bipeds can handle things like the G36, or the AK-47, or the Beretta 92Fs, or the MP5K, or the M4, or the M16A2/203, or the XM8, or whatever. Does anyone know if these are compatible with the default bipeds in the campaign?

rudeboy13

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 12:06 PM    Msg. 2 of 9       
As long as the weapon has a label assigned to it that their animations are compatible with, there shouldn't be any problems. If you want to play it safe then change their weapon labels to the needler's since every biped that can use weapons can use it.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 20, 2018 11:27 AM    Msg. 3 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: rudeboy13
As long as the weapon has a label assigned to it that their animations are compatible with, there shouldn't be any problems. If you want to play it safe then change their weapon labels to the needler's since every biped that can use weapons can use it.

Every character would then hold every gun as though it was the needler.

Bio, The biped's ability to hold a weapon is based on the character's animation tag. Each animation tag is filled with animations for various poses or events. There are also animations for how each biped holds a weapon; where their hands go basically. A Rocket Launcher is held very different from an Assault Rifle.

The weapons label should match the animation, so if you label a weapon as an assault rifle, it'll be held as an assault rifle by any character able to do so. If a character has no animation for that weapon however, it won't be able to use it.

Which is why I would HIGHLY recommend CMT models and animations for your bipeds, as they can pretty much carry each gun that the biped should. From there, to use your custom weapons you would have to open each weapon tag you want to use, and change the label to match the closest CMT counterpart. The G36, AK-47 can be held like an assault rifle, but the Beretta should be a pistol and the MP5K should probably be an SMG.

As a final note; perhaps the grunt doesn't have an animation for the SMG. To make it an Plasma Pistol label would have every marine and elite hold it wrong, but this means you can't use it for the grunt! Oh no, what to do? Easy! Copy ONLY the weapon tag, and rename it SMG_grunt.weapon. Now change the SMG_grunt.weapon's label to plasma pistol, open your grunt's AI and make them hold the SMG_grunt.weapon

Now your regular characters use the SMG, the grunts can still use an SMG_grunt, and since they share ever other asset they'll act identically and you won't be wasting memory space.

The only issue may come that as it's a separate weapon tag, it'll let you hold both, one SMG and one SMG_grunt. For that reason I would open the SMG_grunt.weapon tag and mark the flag in the WEAPONS section that says "detonates when dropped".

Now create a new effect tag; click ADD to EVENTS and ADD to PARTS. On the dropdown go to the bottom and select weapon, and reference the SMG.weapon tag (NOT SMG_GRUNT!!). Save it to the SMG folder. Now back inside the SMG_grunt.weapon tag, scroll a bit further down and find "detonation effect". Reference the tag we just made above.

So now you kill the grunt, he drops his gun. Just like the Plasma Cannons ingame, the gun blows up and is destroyed. It can no longer be picked up. But instead of the plasma cannon's destroyed effect creating blue particles and smoke, we made an effect create an SMG weapon tag with nothing else. The player won't notice as it happens in a fraction of a second with nothing to draw attention. At worst they think the phyiscs flicked if they see a gun move. But now, there's a regular SMG on the floor, after a grunt with an SMG died. So the player won't know that SMG_grunt even exists (which is perfect, because it shouldn't really exist except as a workaround).

BioGoji1989

Posted: Feb 20, 2018 08:49 PM    Msg. 4 of 9       
Wow, that's more information than I thought I would get.

However, having used the needler label for the SMG, I found that it does indeed work. I now have Elite and even Grunts(!) that use the SMG in d20! And, they actually hold them pretty well. The Elites and Grunts try to reload it the way they would reload a Needler, but that's a minor quibble. Although, I suppose I could also re-label the SMG as hp instead of ne, so that it's held like the pistol, but I don't know if the Grunts have animations for holding the human pistol. I believe I tried making pistol grunts in an early build of c10, but they never showed up, even if I set every grunt encounter to feature only those. So, I'm guessing that the grunts don't have animations for using the pistol. Therefore, it was great fortune that I followed the above advice and labeled the SMG as a needler instead.

I want to thank both of you for your advice and information. Although, I don't think I like the idea of the grunt's weapons detonating after they're dropped. I might want to use that weapon too, you know? Well, if I'm playing on Easy, anyway.

Although, I'm going to be honest. The main reason that I make Flood actors with SMGs and Battle Rifles is so that I can replace the Rocket Flood without having to reduce the total number of Flood units encountered in any particular level. I don't like Rocket Flood, but I don't want the game to be super easy either, so that's how I keep the Flood population relatively unchanged, at least on c40 or any level featuring Rocket Flood.

Also, having changed the label of the SMG to a needler, I can confirm that the Flood still hold it the same way that they held the SMG before the change. Since the Flood hold pretty much every weapon the same way. I'll definitely give the X-weapon_X-actor copy tag thing a try on level c10 when I work on the next mod, though.
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Feb 20, 2018 at 08:52 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 02:49 PM    Msg. 5 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: BioGoji1989
Although, I don't think I like the idea of the grunt's weapons detonating after they're dropped. I might want to use that weapon too, you know? Well, if I'm playing on Easy, anyway.

Let me try to explain that bit a little better.

Halo lets you hold two weapons, but never the same weapon. You can't hold two assault rifles.

If you were to do the above and clone an assault rifle so that it could be held by a grunt, but still look proper for other characters, when the grunt dropped the copied assault rifle, you would be able to pick up that one too because it's a different weapon tag. Now I can hold two assault rifles that act exactly the same. This is in contrast to the normal gameplay, and the player will be confused.

To fix this, the grunt's copied assault rifle is automatically destroyed, and the destruction effect places the standard, non-copied AR.

Now, when the grunt dies it appears they only dropped the regular assault rifle. If I am already holding the assault rifle, I would not be able to pick this one up as well. This fixes a bad side effect and makes the work-around we made for the grunt seamless to the player.

So, you CAN pick up the weapon the grunt drops. The original version, with proper animations. You just can't grab the cloned version we modified so that the grunt could hold it.

rudeboy13

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 05:02 PM    Msg. 6 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

Every character would then hold every gun as though it was the needler.

The needler's the only weapon in the game tho

BioGoji1989

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 06:27 PM    Msg. 7 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
Quote: --- Original message by: BioGoji1989
Although, I don't think I like the idea of the grunt's weapons detonating after they're dropped. I might want to use that weapon too, you know? Well, if I'm playing on Easy, anyway.

To fix this, the grunt's copied assault rifle is automatically destroyed, and the destruction effect places the standard, non-copied AR.

Now, when the grunt dies it appears they only dropped the regular assault rifle. If I am already holding the assault rifle, I would not be able to pick this one up as well. This fixes a bad side effect and makes the work-around we made for the grunt seamless to the player.

So, you CAN pick up the weapon the grunt drops. The original version, with proper animations. You just can't grab the cloned version we modified so that the grunt could hold it.

Okay, now I understand what you mean by that. It's like equipment being dropped when an AI dies, only a little bit more complex. Alright, I think I get it now.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 08:38 PM    Msg. 8 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: rudeboy13
The needler's the only weapon in the game tho

Yes, it's the only one in the game held by all players, but that's a workaround with bad results. The characters not holding their weapons using the proper animations can affect things like the biped's ability to crouch in third person. It's better to do it the right way, or to find an alternative without the detrimental side effects like the above.

As a final note, as always, I am very very happy to be of assistance. PM me here on HaloMaps and I will always answer, usually within just a day or so. Modding this game has been a long term passion of mine, I love sharing anything that I know.

BioGoji1989

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 01:26 PM    Msg. 9 of 9       
Well, DeadHamster, I followed your instructions, and I made it work. I now have Grunts, Elites, and Jackals that use SMGs and Pistols. Yes, Jackals with pistols. You may call me mad if you wish, but know that it was from the the knowledge given to me by you that I was able to create this horror.

Although, giving pistols and SMGs to the covenant doesn't really help them out much against the Flood on higher difficulties. It really only helps them out on Easy and Normal. They still get slaughtered on Heroic and Legendary, or at least the Grunts and Jackals do. Elites are still formidable.

Although, for Elites, I gave them a different SMG from the Grunts. I used the original SMG, but changed the label to hp, for the pistol, since the pistol is the only human weapon that Elites can use by default, and the label doesn't affect the way it's held by the Flood, so... eh, it works.
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Feb 22, 2018 at 01:28 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri June 22, 2018 10:23 PM 344 ms.
A Halo Maps Website