A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Lumoria Feedback

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Lumoria Feedback (69 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 05:37 AM    Msg. 1 of 69       
Well, you can guess what this is for. I've been talking with Lodex and Higuy about a potential revamp of Lumoria as a companion campaign for SPV3's upcoming patch (which is basically a LUA powered SPV3, we were unable to use LUA as Chimera only became a thing in the last months of dev).

I have some ideas of my own, but I would like to get some feedback from you guys as to your thoughts on it. This is a thread for feedback, not bashing. I can tell you that 2 of the priorities of this revival/revamp will be redoing the lightmaps and voice acting.

If you haven't played lumoria, or it's been a while you should recheck it out. http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6507

If you have Universal UI, don't replace your ui.map file.
Edited by Masters1337 on Feb 22, 2018 at 05:43 AM

Halonimator

https://imgur.com/ZBjOJ4L

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 12:11 PM    Msg. 2 of 69       
KISS or revamp yourself...my next map will feature you as 3d chimp screaming nonsense.
Edited by Halonimator on Feb 22, 2018 at 12:12 PM

BioGoji1989

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 01:05 PM    Msg. 3 of 69       
So, does this mean that Lumoria will now have the HUD featured in SPV3, and additional weapons such as the DMR and the Battle Rifle? Will the various bipeds be replaced? I'm going to take a guess that a revamped Lumoria may use OpenSauce, right? I mean, I've played Lumoria, and it's one of the best custom single player mods out there, so... what exactly would revamping it entail, specifically?

Also, please tell me that the instrumental version of Blow Me Away will remain intact, though. Halo 2 Anniversary broke my heart when it replaced Blow Me Away and forced me to switch to the old graphics in order to hear it in the game. I don't want to go through that again.
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Feb 22, 2018 at 01:07 PM

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 01:15 PM    Msg. 4 of 69       
Voice acting was my main "issue" with Lumoria: It was really cool that they had it, and it wasn't all bad (they did better than I'd have done), but it wasn't the best either. As a player, I would rather have no voice acting (the Covert Ops campaign utilized on-screen HUD messages to convey dialogue) than sub-par voice acting.

Additionally, given the pre-Xbox influences on the Lumoria aesthetic (particularly the Spectre, Elite shield gauntlet, etc.), it would be cool to see more things like that.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 01:42 PM    Msg. 5 of 69       
Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
Voice acting was my main "issue" with Lumoria: It was really cool that they had it, and it wasn't all bad (they did better than I'd have done), but it wasn't the best either. As a player, I would rather have no voice acting (the Covert Ops campaign utilized on-screen HUD messages to convey dialogue) than sub-par voice acting.

Additionally, given the pre-Xbox influences on the Lumoria aesthetic (particularly the Spectre, Elite shield gauntlet, etc.), it would be cool to see more things like that.

Slight disagreement. The on-screen text stuff bugs me to no end. Voice acting may not have been the best but i prefer it over text on screen.

Also, that weird guardian thing could definately use a touch up, along with the boss fight

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 06:06 PM    Msg. 6 of 69       
Will the tagset also be changed to the SPV3 tagset?

A few ideas that quickly came to mind:
-Improved cutscenes, especially the one where antecedent sage get's destroyed, it's so bad that it's hilarious atm.
-The troops shadow feels with art slightly out of place, maybe that could use a touch up.
-There was some nice use of foliage on the ground, maybe the ground could get a bit more thicker grass.
-New enviroments, these were one of the most enjoyable additions of SPV3 and could greatly benefit the experience of a remake, maybe those added enviroments can have some better use of the auto-turret which is quite a gimmick at the moment.
-Voice acted terminals, the terminals were quite dull and I couldn't really stay interested enough to finish reading it, adding voice acting might make it a lot more interesting

These ideas are probably too ambitious for the most part, but you asked for feedback and here is some.

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 07:48 PM    Msg. 7 of 69       
It has potential but the number of fixes required is pretty high.

- Voice acting needs to be gutted
- Cutscenes need to be completely redone
- BSP quality is crap especially compared to the models and shaders in SPV3
- BSPs are lower quality then that of the vanilla game aside from a few structures
- Lighting needs to be re ran completely especially in later BSPs
- Drop ships are glitchy and messy and could use real recorded animations
- The giant sentinel needs to be completely redone
- Many encounters have to be rebalanced

I think by far the strongest point of lumoria is the first act. After that, the quality really started to drop IMO. Itís 3 levelís of the same environments, ripped BSPs that weíve seen 100 times and overly chaotic encounters. I canít help but think that the project is better off as it was intended and that it would feel like an awkward cheap attempt to implement SPV3 stuff without major, major work.

All that being said, I did enjoy lumoria and will probably replay it again, but I donít see any point of trying to re release it as I feel itís already in its best state.

A vanilla reboot with a bunch of fixes for what I mentioned above would be better I think.

The SPV3 sandbox would shine in a custom environment full of new areas and a new story. Lumoria is good as it was, TSC was good as it was and while SPV3 is great, it doesnít touch the original campaign. All of these recreations live in the shadows of their original products.
Edited by Ki11erFTW on Feb 22, 2018 at 07:54 PM

MatthewDratt

Newly redesigned MattDratt.com

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 01:55 AM    Msg. 8 of 69       
-Voice acting could be cleaned especially now that there is more access to find cheap for hire voice actors online. It was honestly pretty difficult to find voice actors back in the days of Lumosos.
-Cutscenes could be cleaned. Those were my early days. I'm not even sure if I knew how to do recorded animations back then. Ouch.
-In addition to all of that, I think the story could be cleaned up and focused too. I don't think a lot of people really understood what the heck was going on with the Sage. Terminals should be optional and add to the story, not be required to understand a major chunk of it.
-I dunno, I liked the gameplay. Shrugs.

Halonimator

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 10:19 PM    Msg. 9 of 69       
Edited by Halonimator on Feb 23, 2018 at 10:22 PM

Masters1337

Posted: Feb 24, 2018 05:48 AM    Msg. 10 of 69       
Quote: --- Original message by: BioGoji1989

So, does this mean that Lumoria will now have the HUD featured in SPV3, and additional weapons such as the DMR and the Battle Rifle? Will the various bipeds be replaced? I'm going to take a guess that a revamped Lumoria may use OpenSauce, right? I mean, I've played Lumoria, and it's one of the best custom single player mods out there, so... what exactly would revamping it entail, specifically?

Also, please tell me that the instrumental version of Blow Me Away will remain intact, though. Halo 2 Anniversary broke my heart when it replaced Blow Me Away and forced me to switch to the old graphics in order to hear it in the game. I don't want to go through that again.
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Feb 22, 2018 at 01:07 PM

It would indeed be with all the SPV3 content. I haven't looked into what we would do with the music yet.

Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77

Slight disagreement. The on-screen text stuff bugs me to no end. Voice acting may not have been the best but i prefer it over text on screen.

Also, that weird guardian thing could definately use a touch up, along with the boss fight

Yeah, voice acting needs to be redone to the same quality bar we had for some of the content in SPV3. We have a sizeable enough sound team that's ready to do it, once story changes are done.

Def want to redo the boss fights/encounters and story revisions making that thing a Guardian was something I considered when playing through it recently, and seems to be the only real option.

Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
Will the tagset also be changed to the SPV3 tagset?

A few ideas that quickly came to mind:
-Improved cutscenes, especially the one where antecedent sage get's destroyed, it's so bad that it's hilarious atm.
-The troops shadow feels with art slightly out of place, maybe that could use a touch up.
-There was some nice use of foliage on the ground, maybe the ground could get a bit more thicker grass.
-New enviroments, these were one of the most enjoyable additions of SPV3 and could greatly benefit the experience of a remake, maybe those added enviroments can have some better use of the auto-turret which is quite a gimmick at the moment.
-Voice acted terminals, the terminals were quite dull and I couldn't really stay interested enough to finish reading it, adding voice acting might make it a lot more interesting

These ideas are probably too ambitious for the most part, but you asked for feedback and here is some.

-Will touch on this down below with MattDratts post
-The troop shadow is something I'd be removing, there are better vehicles that can provide more interesting interactions with the player.
-I have to see what source files are available, I do want to get rid of the AOTCR room in E1 as people have played it so many times, especially in SPV3.
-Auto Turret would be going away too, was going to let the player hijack a wraith there instead to use against the Covenant.
-Terminals would likely be done in the way we did them for SPV3 Part 2 maps, 3 per mission for each faction delving into different characters expierences in paragraph sized chunks that can be read within a minute and exited when the player chooses.
Quote: --- Original message by: Ki11erFTW

It has potential but the number of fixes required is pretty high.

- Voice acting needs to be gutted
- Cutscenes need to be completely redone
- BSP quality is crap especially compared to the models and shaders in SPV3
- BSPs are lower quality then that of the vanilla game aside from a few structures
- Lighting needs to be re ran completely especially in later BSPs
- Drop ships are glitchy and messy and could use real recorded animations
- The giant sentinel needs to be completely redone
- Many encounters have to be rebalanced

I think by far the strongest point of lumoria is the first act. After that, the quality really started to drop IMO. Itís 3 levelís of the same environments, ripped BSPs that weíve seen 100 times and overly chaotic encounters. I canít help but think that the project is better off as it was intended and that it would feel like an awkward cheap attempt to implement SPV3 stuff without major, major work.

All that being said, I did enjoy lumoria and will probably replay it again, but I donít see any point of trying to re release it as I feel itís already in its best state.

A vanilla reboot with a bunch of fixes for what I mentioned above would be better I think.

The SPV3 sandbox would shine in a custom environment full of new areas and a new story. Lumoria is good as it was, TSC was good as it was and while SPV3 is great, it doesnít touch the original campaign. All of these recreations live in the shadows of their original products.
Edited by Ki11erFTW on Feb 22, 2018 at 07:54 PM

To the contrary, I always felt the wide open areas never complimented the H1 tagset well. With SPV3 we have the diversity in it especially with ranged combat, to explore those spaces in a new way.

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
-Voice acting could be cleaned especially now that there is more access to find cheap for hire voice actors online. It was honestly pretty difficult to find voice actors back in the days of Lumosos.
-Cutscenes could be cleaned. Those were my early days. I'm not even sure if I knew how to do recorded animations back then. Ouch.
-In addition to all of that, I think the story could be cleaned up and focused too. I don't think a lot of people really understood what the heck was going on with the Sage. Terminals should be optional and add to the story, not be required to understand a major chunk of it.
-I dunno, I liked the gameplay. Shrugs.

TBH, I was thinking of culling a fair amount of cinematics. E2 spends it's opening with like 5 minutes of exposition and a remake of the opening cinematic of POA.

The story I would largely keep the same, but have it take place in parallel to H1, and be about another Spartan who fled Reach on another ship. Like Chief, they end up on another world, where a new threat is accidentally discovered (A Guardian with some sort of issue that makes it a threat). They fight the Guardian.. destroy it but not without some consequence to the ship or slipspace drive.... and then they start a long journey home where more adventures await?
Edited by Masters1337 on Feb 24, 2018 at 06:00 AM

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Feb 24, 2018 11:25 AM    Msg. 11 of 69       
Just want to say that while I'll be working with Masterz in a sort of 'approval' position for the project, that both L0d3x and I have considered Lumoria essentially public domain at this point, and most decisions that CMT aims to make are really ultimately up to them. The project was always unprotected for that exact reason, because we wanted people to learn, use tags, and modify the project in ways they saw fit.

The feedback in this thread is a great start; I definitely agree with the concerns that some of you have in regards to that using a CMT tagset, the project will need major revisions gameplay wise, and thats probably correct. The original Lumoria in my personal opinion was great gameplay wise, but with different weapons and tags comes different circumstances. However I have mentioned to Masterz that certain encounters - for example, the tank run - we'd like to leave as-is for the most part, as these are both some of the strongest encounters and most heavily worked on areas of the campaign.

I'll be searching around to see if I can find original 3ds Max files for BSP's on my old HDD's, but Masterz has mentioned that his team will be making revisions to them graphically at the very least, which I think is a great start. I'm looking forward personally to seeing improved lightmaps to the BSP's, for example. However, I think saying they are currently 'crap' compared to vanilla H1 is pretty unfair - in fact a lot of the models are straight from Halo 1 (even some segments of cliffs for example), which was what the original intention was of vanilla Lumoria - to create an expansion of Halo 1 that fit well with the original game. Older members such as Il Duce Primo and Massacre helped pave the way for this sort of style both in Lumoria and their own projects, and I personally think it ended up working very well for what we wanted to achieve.

I would say any concerns or feedback you are looking for in a CMT version of Lumoria should be voiced here. This is a great thread where their team can start to collect feedback on important (and perhaps not so obvious changes) to the project that could be made to improve the experience.

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Feb 24, 2018 05:34 PM    Msg. 12 of 69       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
Just want to say that while I'll be working with Masterz in a sort of 'approval' position for the project, that both L0d3x and I have considered Lumoria essentially public domain at this point, and most decisions that CMT aims to make are really ultimately up to them. The project was always unprotected for that exact reason, because we wanted people to learn, use tags, and modify the project in ways they saw fit.

The feedback in this thread is a great start; I definitely agree with the concerns that some of you have in regards to that using a CMT tagset, the project will need major revisions gameplay wise, and thats probably correct. The original Lumoria in my personal opinion was great gameplay wise, but with different weapons and tags comes different circumstances. However I have mentioned to Masterz that certain encounters - for example, the tank run - we'd like to leave as-is for the most part, as these are both some of the strongest encounters and most heavily worked on areas of the campaign.

I'll be searching around to see if I can find original 3ds Max files for BSP's on my old HDD's, but Masterz has mentioned that his team will be making revisions to them graphically at the very least, which I think is a great start. I'm looking forward personally to seeing improved lightmaps to the BSP's, for example. However, I think saying they are currently 'crap' compared to vanilla H1 is pretty unfair - in fact a lot of the models are straight from Halo 1 (even some segments of cliffs for example), which was what the original intention was of vanilla Lumoria - to create an expansion of Halo 1 that fit well with the original game. Older members such as Il Duce Primo and Massacre helped pave the way for this sort of style both in Lumoria and their own projects, and I personally think it ended up working very well for what we wanted to achieve.

I would say any concerns or feedback you are looking for in a CMT version of Lumoria should be voiced here. This is a great thread where their team can start to collect feedback on important (and perhaps not so obvious changes) to the project that could be made to improve the experience.

Donít get me wrong some areas were good, namely the BSPs taken from halo 1 and the terrain. By crap I meant the multiple large structures that are nearly flat planes and boxes. Those are hard to look at, and unfortunately they are very large and very noticeable. Fortunately I donít think it would be too tough to update those areas with updated geometry.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 05:43 AM    Msg. 13 of 69       
Oooo momma hit me widdem DLMs

Reshirom200

goo.gl/viU1Js

Posted: Feb 27, 2018 08:11 PM    Msg. 14 of 69       
Quote: --- Original message by: BioGoji1989
Also, please tell me that the instrumental version of Blow Me Away will remain intact, though. Halo 2 Anniversary broke my heart when it replaced Blow Me Away and forced me to switch to the old graphics in order to hear it in the game.

i miss the 2000's
I also agree with this

Masters1337

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 10:41 AM    Msg. 15 of 69       
The hope is to do all new audio recordings. The project is underway and we have been playing with SPV3 Lumoria for several days now. There's also a chance a relic from the past may make a re-appearance in SPV3 Lumoria...

BioGoji1989

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 12:27 PM    Msg. 16 of 69       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
The hope is to do all new audio recordings. The project is underway and we have been playing with SPV3 Lumoria for several days now. There's also a chance a relic from the past may make a re-appearance in SPV3 Lumoria...

So, does this mean that there might be screenshots or even videos down the road to let people know what things look like as they progress?

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.Ē ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 04:11 PM    Msg. 17 of 69       
The hope is to do all new audio recordings.
Get rid of that crappy scientist will ya? :)

CLASSIFIED

I don't know as much about coding as I should...

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 05:14 PM    Msg. 18 of 69       
Well I'm hyped.

lolslayer

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 05:19 PM    Msg. 19 of 69       
Please tell me that that ancient relic is Dennis

Reshirom200

goo.gl/viU1Js

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 05:53 PM    Msg. 20 of 69       
super hype time ENGAGE

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Mar 1, 2018 03:02 AM    Msg. 21 of 69       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Oooo momma hit me widdem DLMs

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Mar 1, 2018 09:24 PM    Msg. 22 of 69       

wow send me a build

MatthewDratt

Newly redesigned MattDratt.com

Posted: Mar 1, 2018 10:48 PM    Msg. 23 of 69       

wow send me a build

MEGA_VKNG

Intensity: June Release. No Oats.

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 01:39 AM    Msg. 24 of 69       

wow send me a build

lolslayer

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 05:44 AM    Msg. 25 of 69       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGA_VKNG

wow send me a build

Nertez

Zetren b&

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 05:46 AM    Msg. 26 of 69       

wow send me a build

YottaBiter

ba dum tss!

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 07:54 AM    Msg. 27 of 69       
Quote: --- Original message by: Nertez

wow send me a build

don't thank me..

Halonimator

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 12:07 PM    Msg. 28 of 69       

STOP, Don't ruin LUMORIA YOU A5SHOLE. I don't want the people to remember it as a crappy mod made by a pedo with mentally I'll personality.

Please forget about it, or I will have to make more mods of you.

Sorry Dennis but that guy Masterz1337 isn't a good person and he shouldnt be making halo mods.
Edited by Halonimator on Mar 2, 2018 at 12:08 PM

YottaBiter

ba dum tss!

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 12:34 PM    Msg. 29 of 69       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator

STOP, Don't ruin LUMORIA YOU A5SHOLE. I don't want the people to remember it as a crappy mod made by a pedo with mentally I'll personality.

Please forget about it, or I will have to make more mods of you.

Sorry Dennis but that guy Masterz1337 isn't a good person and he shouldnt be making halo mods.
Edited by Halonimator on Mar 2, 2018 at 12:08 PM

You always sound like he bullied you or something in the High school.. xD

FtDSpartn

Thank you.

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 07:05 PM    Msg. 30 of 69       
This sounds like it'll be pretty great. I'll admit, I was not expecting a big SPv3 patch, let alone another project aside from Oddball. Might be because I don't visit the Discord often enough, I guess.

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 10:33 PM    Msg. 31 of 69       
For the OG team I should have stuff for you soon... when Lodex made the encounters there wasn't any range based on difficulty, so I been trying to figure out the sweet spot in difficulty for them. Also with the ranged combat being a big thing in lumoria, there is some odities in re-framing encounters. Almost looks like you guys extended the rang of some of the AI for your builds... but we have a few things to compensate for that. If somone with modeling talent wants to make us a beam rifle... that be great.

Oddball is on indefinite hold right now, not sure what is going to happen to it.

We are also looking at visual changes to the map, beyond our forerunner shaders and changing the time of day (dawn for map 1, day for map 2, and sunset for maps 3 and 4 (which will be 1 map)) of some of the maps. Suggestions are welcome.

ItzMeFizzie

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 09:16 PM    Msg. 32 of 69       
Nice! I would love to play lumoria with SPV3 tagset! The gunplay in SPV3 is increadible fun! It makes Halo CE so much better in my opinion.

Lumoria is a great campaign! Really fun and epic! But the problem is that i ain't too keen on the original Halo CE gunplay. It's outdated. But SPV3's combat is just so damn amazing!

Please make this happen Masterz, it would be amazing! I love your work with SPV3. And i think this and Oddball will be amazing as well! Keep it up! :)

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.Ē ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 10:29 PM    Msg. 33 of 69       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator
There is substantial evidence to the contrary.

Pepzee

Posted: Mar 4, 2018 10:34 PM    Msg. 34 of 69       
The project is underway and we have been playing with SPV3 Lumoria for several days now.

First, I hope there is a better name than "SPV3 Lumoria". I mean SPV3 was a campaign series that has been completed right? Lumoria Remastered or something else would be somewhat better.

Higuy invited us to voice concern. So here is mine.

I would be very careful about breaking the Halo 1 feel that this series of maps was designed for. This map was released with the specific intent to use Halo 1 graphics and tagsets, even though there were many other options available when the map was released in 2010. Breaking the Halo 1 feel may make the map feel out of place.

Despite my concerns, I am sure that the map will be remastered wonderfully.

Good luck.

rcghalohell

I can jump?Weeeee (pop!) (No1 heard from it again)

Posted: Mar 4, 2018 11:34 PM    Msg. 35 of 69       
Quote: --- Original message by: Pepzee
The project is underway and we have been playing with SPV3 Lumoria for several days now.

First, I hope there is a better name than "SPV3 Lumoria". I mean SPV3 was a campaign series that has been completed right? Lumoria Remastered or something else would be somewhat better.

Higuy invited us to voice concern. So here is mine.

I would be very careful about breaking the Halo 1 feel that this series of maps was designed for. This map was released with the specific intent to use Halo 1 graphics and tagsets, even though there were many other options available when the map was released in 2010. Breaking the Halo 1 feel may make the map feel out of place.

Despite my concerns, I am sure that the map will be remastered wonderfully.

Good luck.

reason why i love it, it has halo 1 all over it. and thats what i want with my long campaign too

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri May 25, 2018 11:05 AM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website