A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Can someone please make a definitive campaign port

Author Topic: Can someone please make a definitive campaign port (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Nertez

Zetren b&

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 11:13 AM    Msg. 1 of 7       
Renamon's port is what we are all familiar with. It's been floating about for over ten years but has many issues immediately obvious from a casual playthrough, and is considered the worst campaign port: healthpacks are on the floor instead of the wall, missing longsword/AR/Pelican (iirc) multipurpose, fog/glass issues, encounters are wrong, and so on.

Austen1000, fair play to him, cleaned this port up a good bit. A list of his fixes/drawbacks are posted here https://austenmodsarchieve.wordpress.com/updated-halo-custom-edition-campaign-port/

However he has pulled his downloaded for some strange reason, a mirror is available here http://vaporeon.io/hosted/vidya/halo/Halo%20Campaign%20for%20Custom%20Edition%20(austen1000).7z . He himself recommends using Moses's Refined Campaign however this release is also plagued with issues:

"Some encounters are different
I'm not sure why or how
Also some dialogue doesn't play correctly
The most issues seem to be in the ship part of T&R, the dialogue when you're escaping the ship with the captain with the doors locked never plays in his port
Works in the OG PC version and Xbox release
The hangar fight in T&R also has less Elites for some reason
You fight about 3-4 on Heroic and Legendary in the other ports
But only 2 show up in the initial encounter in moses' port
And that's not down to the games slight randomisation, the game always has 3 Elites in every other version on every difficulty in the Xbox and PC version
b30 also has some dialogue which doesn't play
It's mostly minor stuff but it does kind of detract a bit"

OG thread here http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50277

Also it still has the infamous glass and fog issues on AotCR.

Now with Chimera you can convert and play the PC campaign on CE. While the above bugs wont be present, you'll lose multipurpose maps, Auten's fixed jacklal shields, and the higher resolution textures that Moses's campaign has.

So this ad hoc thread really is a plea for someone to made a proper definitive campaign port. It would be immensely appreciated. Jesse's HD hud will, hopefully, be released soon which should be added too. Chimera, Moses's and Austen's port all have great respective features, and annoying respective bugs which makes recommending any of them not so straightforward. If someone could give us a cleaned up as-much-as-possible port, they'd be a star.
Edited by Nertez on Feb 26, 2018 at 11:32 AM
Edited by Nertez on Feb 26, 2018 at 02:28 PM

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 02:37 PM    Msg. 2 of 7       
I have the impression that half of those issues are due to the actual port from the Xbox versión of Halo to PC, Gearbox broke everything including fog/rainbow glass, etc.

Im working on a versión of the campaign but it will take months even years to complete it since I have other things to due.

You can also download Refinary and fix the things yourself like me.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 02:46 PM    Msg. 3 of 7       
Pretty sure Austin is already planning to do this using my refined replacement tags. Also, keep in mind that there are certain bugs that literally cant be fixed to make it look and work like it does on xbox. We cant use transparent_shader_generic tags(applies to prison cell doors in T&R, jackal shields, dropship energy tendrils, teleporters, etc), health and shield meter bitmaps dont drain in the same way, shader_environment tags on scenery are broken in fog(barricades in the background of POA when you run around without a weapon), etc. These are things that literally cannot be fixed, only worked around.

It's also REALLY hard to make these fixes without looking at xbox tags and comparing them to their pc counterparts. There are over 30,000 tags. Very few people are going to spend the time you're asking for to carefully comb through and find the exact differences, find out what can be changed to work, and change it.

If you want a perfect OG halo experience, either play it on an original xbox or put in the time and effort to make the fixes yourself. All it requires is a copy of the hek, the mek, halo ce, a copy of pc and xbox halo to rip from, and a buttload of your own time and effort.

Not trying to sound irritated because I'm not(I'm just really blunt right after I wake up). Its just that every time someone makes a "definitive" port of the campaign, there will always be people like you who say "you missed a spot", and ask for another 1.8GB replacement version to pick apart. Take what you've got or put in the effort to fix it yourself(and then wallow in sorrow as you realize you amplified an already existing transparency issue with the new tags and have to push out replacement maps like I did lol).

EDIT: Keep in mind that when I made my port, I was still working on Refinery. It's much more stable and capable of ripping tags properly now, so maybe some of those issues will be cleared up with a proper re-rip. This is why I recommend people rip from the Halo Pc maps and paste in my refined tags rather than rip from my port.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Feb 26, 2018 at 06:50 PM

Nertez

Zetren b&

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 08:04 PM    Msg. 4 of 7       
A little research has revealed that -use14 as a command line parameter fixes Hunter torso shaders, glass issues on AotCR and fog issues across the game in Halo CE (Austen's campaign specifically. Not sure if this command has any utility on Halo PC.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 09:00 PM    Msg. 5 of 7       
There was a bug in the dialog participant structure definition which existed when I made my port. The bug has since been fixed, and I'm pretty sure it'll fix the dialog bug you're talking about. If you want to extract the original maps from Halo PC, paste in my refined tags, and recompile them. As for the lack of elites, that might also be a bug with a structure definition that no one has pointed out to me.

If you want the refined replacement tags(mostly texture enhancements and fixes) then look in my dropbox.
forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50543
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Apr 5, 2018 at 09:03 PM

Nertez

Zetren b&

Posted: Apr 6, 2018 12:13 AM    Msg. 6 of 7       
I have no modding experience, would you be able to do this for us and post an update to your campaign? It would be very welcome.
Edited by Nertez on Apr 6, 2018 at 12:13 AM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Apr 6, 2018 12:15 AM    Msg. 7 of 7       
Nope, I've stopped modding Halo. I only fix bugs with the MEK from here on. See post #3 in this thread for more reasons.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri August 17, 2018 1:22 AM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website