A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Sparky's Stupid Questions

Author Topic: Sparky's Stupid Questions (3 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

sparky

Fools deceive, but knowledge of Jesus is life.

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 08:07 PM    Msg. 1 of 3       
Just some last-minute questions I'm throwing out there as I go along in my daily programming. I'll edit or reply with more questions for anyone interested to answer.

Let us begin.

1) I'm wondering why SBSP leaf map leaves are max of 256 when the guerilla interface allows for more: https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/reclaimer/src/81deb9bf5bb07a24981fdb8f1150fc7735e26bc4/hek/defs/sbsp.py?at=default&fileviewer=file-view-default#sbsp.py-435 . How many max leaf map leaves is it really?

Why? My structs are crying. I will use a super duper auto-clicker to test... Wine interface updates every 5 ms it seems... and the verdict is that Guerilla allows for 65536 chunks. Any reason to limit to 256?

Edited by sparky on Mar 5, 2018 at 08:15 PM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 09:45 PM    Msg. 2 of 3       
I must've copy+pasted and forgot to update the value. Also, it's much faster to find high limits like that by opening the tag in mozzarilla, changing it to show invisible fields and not run the integrity check after saving. Then go into the reflexive(s) you're curious about and type in a new size(like say 65535).

After you've saved the tag, open it in guerilla and see if it complains about the reflexive size being too big. If it does, you need to lower your value. If it doesnt, increase it. Do these until you converge on some value. It's fastest to do it as a binary search where you double and halve until you land on the value. They're usually nice round power-of-2 numbers, so at a certain point you can usually guess the exact number and test it.

If you find any more bugs like this I'll push updates to fix them. Just let me know what you determine the "correct" limits are.

sparky

Fools deceive, but knowledge of Jesus is life.

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 05:02 AM    Msg. 3 of 3       
Yeah I didn't mean to broadcast any problems with your code, so no offense intended. Thank you for clarifying and for the clever suggested approach to identifying these software limits. I did use an auto-clicker at 5ms click interval to click so quickly that I could step away from the computer for a few minutes and it would already have done the hard work for me without any effort on my part. I needed the stretch and food break anyway!

And thanks for letting me consult your existing work for these things that I struggled with in the past. When I go back to check my work, I'll do a once-over on these things however it seems best at the time and then I'll have something to post online.

I was considering switching from GitHub to BitBucket. So another question:

2) Which open source software repository do you recommend?

It seems like if I wanted 3 free private repositories, BitBucket is better than GitHub. If I wanted only public repositories, GitHub is better than BitBucket.
Edited by sparky on Mar 6, 2018 at 05:53 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon June 18, 2018 12:00 AM 204 ms.
A Halo Maps Website