A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Best tools for creating Halo Maps?

Author Topic: Best tools for creating Halo Maps? (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

The Av0c4d0

Posted: Mar 16, 2018 10:38 PM    Msg. 1 of 7       
I'd like to get into mapping but don't really know what to download, mainly since tools for mapping have evolved since modding on this game first began.

I know the HEK exists, and I've already downloaded MEK, but I don't know where to go from there. I've also heard that there is a lot of difficulties with the program tool.exe, an if there is anything to make that step of mapping easier.

I'm also looking for a decent 3D modelling tool, preferably free. As far as I know, it also needs support for .BSP exporting and maybe importing.

I don't really know much so help would be much appreciated.

BioGoji1989

Posted: Mar 16, 2018 10:59 PM    Msg. 2 of 7       
In order to fully utilize MEK, I would suggest downloading MEKE (or MEK Essentials). Also, you will definitely need to have the original HEK installed as well, because HEK includes certain files and programs that MEK requires in order to run properly. HEK includes Sapien, which is kind of like Forge, but you caa use it to edit single player maps and add AI and new weapons.

You can also download Kornman's HEK, which is basically HEK with certain features unlocked. This can be found on this websites programs archive.

Now, this is kind of important, but when you install HEK and MEK, I highly recommend installing these in a location that IS NOT inside the Programs or Programs x86 folder found in the C Drive of Windows (assuming that you have a Windows operating system on your computer), as all versions of Windows from Vista onwards have their security features set to... well, not take kindly to attempts to use certain programs inside the C drive unless you run them as an administrator.

The best thing to do is create a folder on the desktop and install HEK and MEK in there, or install them both separately in different folders on the desktop. Also, make sure that you have a copy of CMD.exe inside both locations, one just the one if install both editing kits in the smae place, as Tool requires CMD to run.

Now, as for making Tool easier to use, you can either use Tool Plus (which was great when it was introduced, but has since become outdated) or Pool, which comes with MEKE and MEK. Pool is basically an all around better version of Tool Plus, but with more options, such as the ability to make .yelo maps using certain parameters. Pool also has its own set of guidelines to help you understand how it works.

There's also OpenSauce HEK, but if you're just starting out, I'd wait until you've become more familiar with using HEK and MEK to create a few basic mods. Then give OS HEK a shot, but be careful because any file opened by OpenSauce HEK will be converted into an OpenSauce file, and the programs found in HEK will not be able to use OpenSauce files. MEK programs might be able to handle it, but I haven't experimented with that yet.

As for a FREE 3D modeling tool... there are GMAX and Blender. While neither of them include gbx model importers by default, you can find various programs for them here on this website (although I've yet to get GMAX to work with GBX models no matter how many times I try to use the importer). There are various other addons found throughout the web that you can add to either program to make things easier, and don't be afraid to ask for help on the forum if you get stuck on something.

Oh, and if you ever try to edit a scenario file, be sure to open it in MEK first, because MEK will create a backup file automatically, just in case something goes wrong.
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Mar 16, 2018 at 11:01 PM

The Av0c4d0

Posted: Mar 17, 2018 03:48 AM    Msg. 3 of 7       
Running things as admin isn't really an issue.

But what is is installing MEKE, it says "The Visual Studio 2015 build tools are required for the accelerator modules these programs use to be compliled." I have tried search for this, but have had no luck.

I decided to get a student license of 3ds max 2017, I believe that part of the editing process requires importing bsp's to sapien, do you know if there is a plugin that allows you to do that in 3ds max 2017?

Also thanks so far with helping me out.

BioGoji1989

Posted: Mar 17, 2018 10:41 AM    Msg. 4 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Av0c4d0
Running things as admin isn't really an issue.

But what is is installing MEKE, it says "The Visual Studio 2015 build tools are required for the accelerator modules these programs use to be compliled." I have tried search for this, but have had no luck.

I decided to get a student license of 3ds max 2017, I believe that part of the editing process requires importing bsp's to sapien, do you know if there is a plugin that allows you to do that in 3ds max 2017?

Also thanks so far with helping me out.

For Visual Studio 2015, here's a link to the Visual Studio 2015 download section on the Microsoft Website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/DownloadsDrillInResults.aspx?q=Visual%20Studio%202015

The base Visual Studio 2015 should be in there somewhere.

As for 3ds Max? I can't really help you out with that one. There should be some tools and addons sprinkled throughout this website's archives, so there's a place to start.
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Mar 17, 2018 at 10:42 AM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Mar 17, 2018 03:56 PM    Msg. 5 of 7       
If the MEK is giving you issues installing, you can install the MEKE, which is the essentials edition. It comes prebuilt with accelerators already compiled. It only contains mozzarilla, refinery, and pool though, so if you're planning to use any of the other tools in the MEK you'll need to actually install the MEK. The accelerator modules are only used in mozzarilla, refinery, and hboc(halo bitmap optimizer and converter) so if you can't get them installed it's not a huge deal since the MEKE already contains 2 of those 3.

Here's the MEKE thread.

forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50573

sparky

"Whoever draws the sword will die by the sword."

Posted: Mar 17, 2018 09:08 PM    Msg. 6 of 7       

The Av0c4d0

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 04:06 AM    Msg. 7 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
If the MEK is giving you issues installing, you can install the MEKE, which is the essentials edition. It comes prebuilt with accelerators already compiled. It only contains mozzarilla, refinery, and pool though, so if you're planning to use any of the other tools in the MEK you'll need to actually install the MEK. The accelerator modules are only used in mozzarilla, refinery, and hboc(halo bitmap optimizer and converter) so if you can't get them installed it's not a huge deal since the MEKE already contains 2 of those 3.

Here's the MEKE thread.

forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50573

I managed to install meke, thanks MosesofEgypt.

Once I install 3ds max, I will take a look at your tutorials Sparky, thanks.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu April 26, 2018 12:13 AM 313 ms.
A Halo Maps Website