A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Changing Marine and player weapons in cutscenes

Author Topic: Changing Marine and player weapons in cutscenes (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

BioGoji1989

Posted: Mar 20, 2018 10:57 PM    Msg. 1 of 7       
I'm currently working on my 2nd mod now, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to replace the weapons held by both the player and marines in cutscenes. Currently, I'm working on level a50, and while I have managed to change the player profile so that the player starts with an M82A1 rifle (which is visible in the opening cutscene, actually), I can't get the Marines to appear holding MP5s, and this is troublesome, because the whole theme of this particular mod is that the player will be using modern day weapons instead of futuristic ones, at least on the UNSC side. The Covenant still use their plasma and needle weapons.

Now, the reason this is so problematic for a50 is because the Marines that appear in the first area, from the dropship, all carry assault rifles instead of MP5s. I've already edited the scenario so that all assault rifle marines are replaced with MP5 marines, and all assault rifles and assault rifle ammo are replaced with MP5s and SMG ammo. I've checked every encounter in the scenario to make sure that all Marine tags referenced are the replacement ones as well, but the Marines from the opening dropship still hold assault rifles. Marines from every subsequent dropship in the level all carry MP5s, but not the initial ones. How do I change this? Is there a script that I have to modify, and if so, how do I do that without royally screwing up the scenario?

If anyone has any information at all on how to do this, please let me know. I will greatly appreciate it.
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Mar 20, 2018 at 10:58 PM
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Mar 20, 2018 at 10:59 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 20, 2018 11:02 PM    Msg. 2 of 7       
Did you replace the MP5's third person model? Or is it using the assault rifle?

You replaced the marine_assault_rifle actors with ones that hold the MP5 instead? What was the process to do this, what tags did you edit and how?

BioGoji1989

Posted: Mar 20, 2018 11:28 PM    Msg. 3 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
Did you replace the MP5's third person model? Or is it using the assault rifle?

You replaced the marine_assault_rifle actors with ones that hold the MP5 instead? What was the process to do this, what tags did you edit and how?

1. Yes
2. No assault rifle.

I copied the marine_armored assault rifle actor variant tags (both regular and major), edited their ranged combat weapon so that the mp5 was referenced instead of the assault rifle, renamed the tag, edited the regualr marine tag to reference the mp5 major as its own major variation, and then went into the scenario, accessed the actors section, and replaced all marine_armored assault rifle references with marine_armored mp5 references. IE, all instances in the encounters and actors sections of the scenario now reference the marine_armored mp5 tags instead of marine_armored assault rifle tags.

The only thing that I can think of that is causing my problem is a script that references assault rifle marines, and I am terrified that if I edit any scripts at all, I will irreparably make the scenario unusable in some manner.
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Mar 20, 2018 at 11:31 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 10:43 AM    Msg. 4 of 7       
Post scripts!

Scripts are just a text file. Make a copy of it on your desktop, if you do something stupid then replace it with the backup and you're good to go.

The Blamscript Bible is a great asset for newer modders to learn the functions and results present in Blamscript.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 01:51 PM    Msg. 5 of 7       
Just FYI, you can find all of the scripts from the original campaign in my dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/halo

Ripped them with Refinery. All you gotta do to compile scripts it open the scenario in sapien and hit the compile scripts button in the menu dropdown. The scripts go in the data folder in the same directory as the scenario under a folder named scripts.

So like, for a10 it'd be: data\levels\a10\scripts
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Mar 25, 2018 at 01:58 PM

BioGoji1989

Posted: Mar 26, 2018 11:10 AM    Msg. 6 of 7       
Well, actually, I've discovered that the problem isn't a script at all. Turns out I forgot to edit the biped tag itself so that the default weapon was the MP5 instead of the assault rifle. After making that change, I now have Marines holding the MP5 in cutscenes without fail. Again, it was a simple solution that I completely overlooked.

I do, however, appreciate the help given to me by all of you, and I will undoubtedly be using your suggestions in the future as I become more intimately familiar with the inner workings of scenario tags. It may be a while until that happens, but I know that when I do, the information that you guys have provided to me will be extremely helpful.

aliceshaun

Posted: Jun 9, 2018 01:23 AM    Msg. 7 of 7       
I replicated the marine_armored attack rifle performer variation labels (both standard and major), altered their went battle weapon so that the mp5 was referenced rather than the strike rifle, renamed the tag, altered the regular marine tag to reference the mp5 major as its own real variety Best Assignment Service

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu November 15, 2018 6:24 AM 156 ms.
A Halo Maps Website