A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Servers?

Author Topic: Servers? (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

The Av0c4d0

Posted: Mar 21, 2018 01:37 AM    Msg. 1 of 9       
Just got a few questions about servers and the like.

1. Servers with custom maps? I know that sounds a bit dumb, but with the exception of Bigass 2,104 (A really great map that I enjoy(also would be better if it was Bigass final)) there are not many servers with custom maps and people playing on the server.

2. Australian Servers? I live in Australia, so ping on international servers is really high, if anyone knows about any Aussie Servers, please let me know. Also, I heard about how SBB (Storm) is hosting a gamenight every now and then, but I can't join due to timezone shenanigans.

3. How to reduce ping? I have had ridiculously high ping at times, usually in the 200 - 500 range. I am using wireless instead of wired, so that's an obvious way I can improve, but I am not sure what else I can do to reduce ping, it is infuriating when I shoot someone and it doesn't register.

Thanks a lot, I know that's a lot, but I also know that this community is very helpful.

sparky

Fools deceive, but knowledge of Jesus is life.

Posted: Mar 21, 2018 10:25 AM    Msg. 2 of 9       
You can roll your own server for $2.50 per month using Vultr.com, or use some local Australian hosting company or your own computer running haloceded.exe. Halo uses a minimum of resources and can run on Linux or Mac OS X using WINE.

I'm planning to set up more dedicated servers, one of which would be in Singapore, which should yield about 150ms ping, depending. But professional gaming services would probably use an Australian hosting provider. If you do find a decent hosting provider in Australia, please recommend them to me, because I have looked and so far not found.
Edited by sparky on Mar 21, 2018 at 10:28 AM

The Av0c4d0

Posted: Mar 22, 2018 01:33 AM    Msg. 3 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky

You can roll your own server for $2.50 per month using Vultr.com, or use some local Australian hosting company or your own computer running haloceded.exe. Halo uses a minimum of resources and can run on Linux or Mac OS X using WINE.

I'm planning to set up more dedicated servers, one of which would be in Singapore, which should yield about 150ms ping, depending. But professional gaming services would probably use an Australian hosting provider. If you do find a decent hosting provider in Australia, please recommend them to me, because I have looked and so far not found.
Edited by sparky on Mar 21, 2018 at 10:28 AM

I'm not planning on setting up my own server, since I don't have the time, money, or resources.

If your planning on setting up a server, try https://www.gameservers.com/game_servers/halo_ce_server.php

sparky

Fools deceive, but knowledge of Jesus is life.

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 06:34 PM    Msg. 4 of 9       
Those game server hosting companies are vastly overpriced. Why pay $16 per month with them for mere FTP access when you can pay $2.50 per month on your own VPS with full root OS access and customization?

The Av0c4d0

Posted: Mar 26, 2018 12:03 AM    Msg. 5 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Those game server hosting companies are vastly overpriced. Why pay $16 per month with them for mere FTP access when you can pay $2.50 per month on your own VPS with full root OS access and customization?

I am not trying to set up a server. I am trying to.

1. Reduce ping.

2. Find Australian Servers

3. Find servers with more custom maps.

killzone64

if im not at my pc im at the racetrack

Posted: Mar 26, 2018 01:42 AM    Msg. 6 of 9       
reducing ping can be done by either direct wired connection or increase in internet speed. networking in Australia is pretty messed up last i heard so i'm not too sure what you can do in that department.

not many if any AUS servers at all as most if not all of the players are Latino american or European. very few asian or pacific players. provided you have all the latest updates and HAC2 there is not much help i can give you.

SBB always does a gamenight at noon PST on saturdays. its been a while since i have been free for one but we always had it set up at a time where Taiwan (who lives near taiwan, go figure) could join when he was still playing. its going to be at 5:30 in the morning for you (5:30 Adelaide time) so you would have to be up early to join.

either way even at high ping the game can be stable its all about having a stable ping. the more stable your ping is the less you will have to lead your shots

The Av0c4d0

Posted: Mar 26, 2018 03:13 AM    Msg. 7 of 9       
Yep, do have the latest updates and HAC 2, thanks for your help, also, what sort of maps does SBB play, and how good is the ping?

killzone64

if im not at my pc im at the racetrack

Posted: Mar 26, 2018 04:40 AM    Msg. 8 of 9       
My ping is great, However thats cause im on a gigabit network in seattle and the server is in texas. For you itll be completely different due to your distance from the server host (ping being the amount of time in milliseconds that it takes to send a packet of data to the server and back). Sbb plays a random selection of custom maps every week.

In order to get info pm me and ill send you a link to the sbb fan discord.

The Av0c4d0

Posted: Mar 26, 2018 05:00 AM    Msg. 9 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: killzone64
My ping is great, However thats cause im on a gigabit network in seattle and the server is in texas. For you itll be completely different due to your distance from the server host (ping being the amount of time in milliseconds that it takes to send a packet of data to the server and back). Sbb plays a random selection of custom maps every week.

In order to get info pm me and ill send you a link to the sbb fan discord.

I'm already in the SBB discord. I'm pretty sure that halo ce also doesn't have the best netcode or something.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun July 22, 2018 10:49 AM 282 ms.
A Halo Maps Website