A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Are Pre-Rendered SFM cutscenes possible?

Author Topic: Are Pre-Rendered SFM cutscenes possible? (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

BananakillerBRO

Cheeseburgers arethe purest example of equilibrium

Posted: Mar 24, 2018 12:14 AM    Msg. 1 of 7       
So, I want to make a custom campaign. But before I get started I want to know, is it possible to make pre-rendered SFM cutscenes that can be triggered between missions? Or can I only make in-game cutscenes?

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 10:34 AM    Msg. 2 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: BananakillerBRO
So, I want to make a custom campaign. But before I get started I want to know, is it possible to make pre-rendered SFM cutscenes that can be triggered between missions? Or can I only make in-game cutscenes?

You could definitely make a custom campaign with SFM cutscenes. You'd just have to use a Source game engine, instead of the one Halo uses.

killzone64

if im not at my pc im at the racetrack

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 03:24 PM    Msg. 3 of 7       
not really. people tried some trickery such as seperating the video into frames and importing them all into a shader and using a script to rapidly change the texture from one to the next but it never worked properly. you can do a lot with the in game cut scenes though.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 11:29 PM    Msg. 4 of 7       
Stock doesn't support playing external media. Add-ons can allow you to do more, such as opensauce allowing .BIK files to be played (As far as I know, OS is the only one to allow video playing ingame). Technically chimera supports it by using LUA to run commands directly on your computer; have it open up a regular media player on their PC.

SomeFan

Discordapp: SomeFan#0171

Posted: Apr 1, 2018 12:35 AM    Msg. 5 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
Stock doesn't support playing external media. Add-ons can allow you to do more, such as opensauce allowing .BIK files to be played (As far as I know, OS is the only one to allow video playing ingame). Technically chimera supports it by using LUA to run commands directly on your computer; have it open up a regular media player on their PC.
also those video's are locked down to 640x480, here's the thread . thats all i know :)

so you say chimera's Lua scripting allows a map to open a program on your PC?! does this sound ripe for abuse to anyone else?
EDIT: thanks kirby_422 AKA 'public enemy number 1' your the best.

Edited by SomeFan on Apr 2, 2018 at 01:05 AM

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Apr 1, 2018 04:12 AM    Msg. 6 of 7       
i love hunt down the freeman

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Apr 1, 2018 05:32 PM    Msg. 7 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: SomeFan
so you say chimera's Lua scripting allows a map to open a program on your PC?! does this sound ripe for abuse to anyone else?

Yes, chimera has two different LUA modes, one where the LUA is per map, which is extremely limited (these can be put into the .map files, or in a folder with a lua per map), or global folder which is unlimited LUA (So, users are required to purposely put the LUA scripts they want in there since people are afraid of the maliciousness); while these aren't directly tied to a map, you can still make it tied to a map by checking the current loaded map name.

Anyways, the operating system LUA library, you can use any executables on the machine, or read/write/remove any files (ie, delete system32, add your keylogger to the startup files)

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu September 20, 2018 5:54 AM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website