A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »how long have you been around the modding scene

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: how long have you been around the modding scene (59 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

killzone64

if im not at my pc im at the racetrack

Posted: Mar 24, 2018 09:50 PM    Msg. 1 of 59       
figured id make a thread because i just realized today that it is exactly 10 years since i started modding halo ce. i never get rid of any of my stuff and i just happen to have the first map i compiled from the tutorial and its build date is march 24th 2008.

im starting to feel old....

anyways feel free for us longer whiskered members to post highlights from our time modding CE and go down a nostalgia trip as well as give a good history lesson for the newer members

Edited by killzone64 on Mar 25, 2018 at 03:05 AM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Mar 24, 2018 09:59 PM    Msg. 2 of 59       
My first crap map from 2006. Started in maybe 2005?

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1799

killzone64

Posted: Mar 24, 2018 11:00 PM    Msg. 3 of 59       
yea. my only upload to the site was damn awful. i have always been a behind the scenes guy not really doing much major work until i learned to model properly about 5 years ago.

my only released contribution was an absolute turd of a map. i still make the SBB guys go back and play it ironically cause it sucks that much lol.
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5950

most of my contributions were actually early ports back when we first gained access to the tools as well as OS shader work. i was the first person to port quite a few models from reach but i seem to have lost my map files that had all those items in them so all i have is old pics. they might be stashed somewhere on an old harddrive but who knows. i did release them unfinished at one point because they made their way into a ton of the really poorly done latino maps.

ill show a couple of my favorites and key points below.

Damagable fully ported halo 3 odst barriers that IMO should have been released long ago

first properly working halo 4 br

My custom halo 3 esque opensauce shaders

Brute chopper which i ended up giving to altis to finish and release. really fun vehicle to make!

unfinished falcon wreck scenery from tip of the spear, this has appeared in latino map rips

first fully ported set of halo reach hogs, effects and shaders were never finished

Unfinished reach grunts and elites with funky rigs

various scenery pieces all unfinished and all showing up in rips later on

banshee and phantom neither were ever finished

and reach pelican ofc unfinished

and to end it some work on halo 2 ports at the dawn of opensauce

here is a link to an album of all of my projects. in order from now to way back when i first started.
http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/gokarter64/library/halo%20pics

Edited by killzone64 on Mar 25, 2018 at 03:02 AM

Spiral

I hope i'm out of the way

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 02:01 AM    Msg. 4 of 59       
Late 2010 I started stalking this website and modding. I joined the forums in 2011.
Made 2 poopy ai maps:
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5811

I made this one because Dumb AI requested a map like this.
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6194

Some lame texture mods:
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5940
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5941
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5995
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6182
I remember seeing people used those when LMT was around. They seem to have used my halomaps stuff a lot. For some reason my rebel tags got around onto small scale campaign mods too.

I had a lot of fun making textures back then:

^ I made those shields and many other textures for the flood campaign that Lone Warrior did. I still use those shields.

I made these incinerators for future use in the unreleased and unfinished flood campaign levels. Good times. Sad to see that project is in the dark for now. You may or may not see these incinerators reborn in Heretic Hunt.
I'd post more but I'll save that for a later date.
Not trying to flex here. I just like seeing my old stuff and I hope you guys post your old stuff too. Its always fun seeing people's mistakes and progress as a modder.

EDIT: Oh photobucket links sometimes working.
Edited by Spiral on Mar 26, 2018 at 01:26 AM
Edited by Spiral on Mar 26, 2018 at 01:28 AM

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 02:13 AM    Msg. 5 of 59       
Lurking? 2009.

I started actually making stuff in 2012. I've tried erasing the history of every old boxy weapon I've ever made.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 05:56 AM    Msg. 6 of 59       
Silly children.... 2002 or 2003 for me if you count halo pc.

MrChromed

Developer on SPv3/CMT and ShadowMods Team.

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 08:32 AM    Msg. 7 of 59       
Quote: --- Original message by: killzone64

i was the first person to port quite a few models from reach but i seem to have lost my map files that had all those items in them so all i have is old pics. they might be stashed somewhere on an old harddrive but who knows.

Hey, you gave me nostalgic feelings when I remembered those test maps you released back in 2013 iirc (2013 was the year I started modding with Halo CE, btw). I still have the original .rar with those old maps and I could upload them if you want. Idk, maybe for nostalgic purposes.

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 10:31 AM    Msg. 8 of 59       
2006, the golden age of Halo Modding.

Pepzee

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 12:56 PM    Msg. 9 of 59       
I'll respect the person who has only been here 1 year and has released excellent maps over the person who has been here 10 years has yet to release anything.

Time does not always mean more skill. These who has been here longest competitions only seem like people trying to establish some sort of pointless seniority.

killzone64

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 01:22 PM    Msg. 10 of 59       
Quote: --- Original message by: Pepzee
I'll respect the person who has only been here 1 year and has released excellent maps over the person who has been here 10 years has yet to release anything.

Time does not always mean more skill. These who has been here longest competitions only seem like people trying to establish some sort of pointless seniority.

exactly. i was more or less poking fun at the fact i have been around for 10 years and done a lot while not contributing much at all lol.

Quote: --- Original message by: Isxz
Hey, you gave me nostalgic feelings when I remembered those test maps you released back in 2013 iirc (2013 was the year I started modding with Halo CE, btw). I still have the original .rar with those old maps and I could upload them if you want. Idk, maybe for nostalgic purposes.

https://i.imgur.com/VjKullI.png

yea why not. i think i have some others laying around but its always interesting to look back at old work. i moved on from rips to fully custom stuff which is going smoothly atm.

also spiral you should quit using photobucket. they set a rediculously low limit on 3rd party link access in hopes that youll pay for their service. im in the process of moving all my old crap over to imgur

Edited by killzone64 on Mar 25, 2018 at 03:02 PM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 01:45 PM    Msg. 11 of 59       
I didn't release a damn thing until I started on Mozz and my other tools. Those took me around 3 years to make because of how much I had to learn in order to make them. I actually started modding with the Halo trial for PC, so technically I've been modding since maybe 2003-2004?

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 02:49 PM    Msg. 12 of 59       
Fix your photobucket pics spiral

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 08:05 PM    Msg. 13 of 59       
Too damn long

In all seriousness, i think i started doing random Halo Trial modding with sparkedit and HMT back in middle school so roughly 07/08. I became a mild lurker here for like two years before i made an account and did something with it, filing around between here and modhalo for the longest time. I also got PC/CE around 08/09 and did some more sparkedit stuff until i figured out how CE actually did things. Was a fun thing to PMI those Brute ghosts from extinction to PC bloodgulch. Good times

Spartan_094

Posted: Mar 26, 2018 01:25 AM    Msg. 14 of 59       
Lurked for years, 2005-2007. In 2008 I started becoming active here. I kinda stopped doing anything Halo CE after helping out Jesse with H3 Foundry in 2013. I pop in once in a while on here to see how things are going but I don't do a lot of modding anymore cause of Windows 10. I miss the ol days

Ackrylic

Hue

Posted: Mar 26, 2018 07:48 PM    Msg. 15 of 59       
Started yesterday.

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Mar 26, 2018 11:58 PM    Msg. 16 of 59       
2014, made my account in 2015...

My stuff is eqqually 5hitty as the first day

First thing Ive ever made, a retexture

First actual map

1st MP map

2nd MP map

Cancelled

Cancelled

Cancelled

then 2016 came

Forge Island

Doomsday also cancelled

2017?

bad rigged bipeds

Moar stuff

also cancelled, or merged into another Project

SideWinder soon

In this 2018 I have been very lazy, probably I will leave since collage and my Works doesnt leave me any time for this

Edited by EmmanuelCD on Mar 27, 2018 at 12:00 AM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Mar 27, 2018 03:13 AM    Msg. 17 of 59       
I did a Jorge turrent
That's all I have to show for my time spent here

1bobsam1

I win. You lose.

Posted: Mar 27, 2018 03:34 AM    Msg. 18 of 59       
First started to pay attention to custom Halo Content in about 2009 and play it and was pretty much when I got the game. I started to hop between Modacity and Halo Maps forums around 2009, finally made an account (I obviously still use my original one here) in both places around that time. I used to check Halo Maps' Halo CE map section daily for new maps, never visited the forums really before 2009. Then come sometime around 2008/2009, I met HDoan in a random public Halo CE server running Sciophobia. I knew who he was because I knew and followed H3MT's work on their Moddb page. So I asked if I could add him on Xfire as a friend and thus my Halo CE life grew in depth meeting knew people like: Jesse, Dsalimander (who I eventually found out lived in the same state as me, one night we were both experiencing the same severe thunderstorm outbreak), Masterz1337, English Mobster, Gamma927, Malolo420, Rambo, Joshflighter, Inferno, Advancebo, and maybe a few others that I am forgetting or that weren't ever known really well in the communities. I did some modeling that never went anywhere because I gave up. Then went on to Beta testing things/maps for people (almost all those I mentioned above I did testing for). But in 2015 or so I finally (for the hell of it) did my first true ingamed Halo CE map, I put some downloaded tags in the tutorial map and compiled it and it worked.

So here's some a few screencaps that HARDLY encase this journey. A Xfire screenshot of me saying a message "HIGH POLY :D" from HDoan's Xfire profile. A random screenshot the desktop with Xfire open from ‎August ‎5, ‎2009 taken in our family's old Windows XP eMachine. The green/tan renders was an attempt to recreate Metropolis by hand. The teal renders are of a Last Resort remake I wanted to start. The grey render is a random practice map model. Then the OTHER tan ones are of a map I completed modeling (it was supposed to be another part of Zanzibar's shoreline) And then some renders (the ODST style renders) from English Mobster when I was giving him feedback.

https://imgur.com/a/mJEUP
Edited by 1bobsam1 on Mar 27, 2018 at 03:44 AM

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Mar 27, 2018 05:55 AM    Msg. 19 of 59       
Quote: --- Original message by: 1bobsam1

First started to pay attention to custom Halo Content in about 2009 and play it and was pretty much when I got the game. I started to hop between Modacity and Halo Maps forums around 2009, finally made an account (I obviously still use my original one here) in both places around that time. I used to check Halo Maps' Halo CE map section daily for new maps, never visited the forums really before 2009. Then come sometime around 2008/2009, I met HDoan in a random public Halo CE server running Sciophobia. I knew who he was because I knew and followed H3MT's work on their Moddb page. So I asked if I could add him on Xfire as a friend and thus my Halo CE life grew in depth meeting knew people like: Jesse, Dsalimander (who I eventually found out lived in the same state as me, one night we were both experiencing the same severe thunderstorm outbreak), Masterz1337, English Mobster, Gamma927, Malolo420, Rambo, Joshflighter, Inferno, Advancebo, and maybe a few others that I am forgetting or that weren't ever known really well in the communities. I did some modeling that never went anywhere because I gave up. Then went on to Beta testing things/maps for people (almost all those I mentioned above I did testing for). But in 2015 or so I finally (for the hell of it) did my first true ingamed Halo CE map, I put some downloaded tags in the tutorial map and compiled it and it worked.

So here's some a few screencaps that HARDLY encase this journey. A Xfire screenshot of me saying a message "HIGH POLY :D" from HDoan's Xfire profile. A random screenshot the desktop with Xfire open from ‎August ‎5, ‎2009 taken in our family's old Windows XP eMachine. The green/tan renders was an attempt to recreate Metropolis by hand. The teal renders are of a Last Resort remake I wanted to start. The grey render is a random practice map model. Then the OTHER tan ones are of a map I completed modeling (it was supposed to be another part of Zanzibar's shoreline) And then some renders (the ODST style renders) from English Mobster when I was giving him feedback.

https://imgur.com/a/mJEUP
Edited by 1bobsam1 on Mar 27, 2018 at 03:44 AM

That desktop picture is a real windows XP era treasure trove. Pivot, Gamemaker, all those good old primary school stuff

also, thx for the fix spiral
Edited by lolslayer on Mar 27, 2018 at 05:56 AM

sparky

Fools deceive, but knowledge of Jesus is life.

Posted: Mar 27, 2018 12:24 PM    Msg. 20 of 59       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ackrylic
Started yesterday.

Welcome.

I don't remember exactly. My first surviving Halo-related post on my old account at MGM was in 2006, but I don't know exactly when I started modding, specifically. I thought it was much earlier than my 20's. I think in general, it's been about 15 years since I was modding games, and that included Halo soon after it was available for Mac. I was definitely not part of the Halo CE community until after this web site was popular. Hosting mods for Halo Demo PPC Mac was fun, especially since I was pretty much the only one doing it -- there were only a handful of servers at the time. When I got a new computer, I used it to host an abundance of Halo Demo PPC Mac servers simultaneously, locally, and I also made over 50 map mods (I lost count), only some of which were converted for HaloMD. Then I started using the HEK and converting my custom maps to Halo Demo.

It's all vague now and "ancient history".
Edited by sparky on Mar 27, 2018 at 12:24 PM

MrChromed

Developer on SPv3/CMT and ShadowMods Team.

Posted: Mar 27, 2018 01:08 PM    Msg. 21 of 59       
Hey Killzone, here you have the link with the original .rar which contained your files. This could be preserved for archival purposes:https://www.dropbox.com/s/ji3e35jhnnavov5/old%20testmaps.rar?dl=0
PS: Sorry for the late response, but I was busy at the university.
Edited by Isxz on Mar 27, 2018 at 01:09 PM

Ackrylic

Hue

Posted: Mar 27, 2018 03:05 PM    Msg. 22 of 59       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Quote: --- Original message by: Ackrylic
Started yesterday.

Welcome.

Nah, I'm messing with you. I started 2007 and released a map under a different alias. I'm the one who made H3MT Foundry. But thanks for the welcome.

1bobsam1

I win. You lose.

Posted: Mar 27, 2018 07:21 PM    Msg. 23 of 59       
^ related that post above, a list of usernames can be seen there at the top of the Moddb page just threw me back.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/halo-3-pc (H3MT's Moddb page)

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=29698
Edited by 1bobsam1 on Mar 27, 2018 at 07:25 PM

bingo

Posted: Mar 27, 2018 10:15 PM    Msg. 24 of 59       
Ummmm..... Arby....... my memory on who made Foundry is a little different.

DSalimander and Jesse made Foundry. The only thing you contributed was the initial BSP model, which had to undergo a lot of work fixing it up after you were done with it. All the assets you modeled were not used because by the time the map was under development, H3 ripping tools were finally being released to the public. The project had heavy emphasis on accuracy, which your models had little of. Sorry. Still love you tho.

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Mar 28, 2018 08:27 AM    Msg. 25 of 59       
I started animating in September 2008, a year after Halo 3's release, because I was frustrated with how bad HDoan's Halo 3 copy animations were for H3T and I thought I could do better.

I don't think I ever did, but here was the first animation set I showed to the public:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-U9ooKo1Ro

ICEE's mentoring was really instrumental to my earlier learnings, then the rest I picked up from copying Halo 3's style for a few years...something I never really stopped doing since I think they're so wonderful.
Edited by ODX on Mar 28, 2018 at 08:28 AM

Ackrylic

Hue

Posted: Mar 28, 2018 02:04 PM    Msg. 26 of 59       
Quote: --- Original message by: 1bobsam1
a list of usernames can be seen there at the top of the Moddb page just threw me back.

Nostalgic. I should've kept in touch with everyone in the team.
Quote: --- Original message by: bingo
The project had heavy emphasis on accuracy, which your models had little of.

Yeah I agree lol, it was to be expected.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Mar 28, 2018 09:09 PM    Msg. 27 of 59       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODX
I don't think I ever did, but here was the first animation set I showed to the public:

Goddamn your first ever reload was so good

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Mar 28, 2018 11:28 PM    Msg. 28 of 59       
ODX here? Now we only need Gamma and the others

rcghalohell

I can jump?Weeeee (pop!) (No1 heard from it again)

Posted: Mar 29, 2018 01:25 AM    Msg. 29 of 59       
This month last year. Lol it took me 12 years to finally come through with a mod

Halo Noob Modder117

I guess I'm just going to have to rip your tags

Posted: Mar 29, 2018 09:46 AM    Msg. 30 of 59       
I've been reading forums and playing modded maps since the beginning.

I could never get my tools to work until 2015 or something. I made an account here not too long ago just to ask about my very first tag bug I encountered.

I started ripping EVERYTHING from maps to weapons to vehicles to bipeds.

I made my very first map in 2017. A test box.

My biped and scenario 3DS Max projects were a failure so I stopped modding altogether as I couldn't be bothered. Plus GTA and Fallout modding sucked me in because I had way more success there as Halo is way too old and lacks in various departments- requiring pointless forum posts, trials, errors and ultimate time wasting failures.

At least I can tinker with a hundred custom maps in Sapien and 2 SPV3 missions with stock tags and no OS (thank you guys, you know who you are)... But even that will get boring eventually. Hopefully MCC will have mod support. I always wanted a JTAG 360 for Halo 3 and ODST campaign modding...

That's my story.
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Mar 29, 2018 at 09:51 AM

killzone64

Posted: Mar 29, 2018 04:24 PM    Msg. 31 of 59       
Edited by ODX on Mar 28, 2018 at 08:28 AM

i would love to be able to animate lol. i suck at it, defiantly more of a modleler

Invader Veex

i make poast

Posted: Mar 29, 2018 04:55 PM    Msg. 32 of 59       
Started out modding Halo PC, before downloading CE. Did a few things with this guy named Phoenix/Develop0r, and pretty sre I was the first to figure out how to transfer CE fp animations to PC. Most everything I did was just experimental stuff to have fun. Here is th earlist recorded work I can find, I think I made the sounds, reticle, changes to skin the and experimenting with the numbers, and converting FRain's ( i think) assault rifle animations in 2007ish.
I did a lot of experimenting with scripts at an offline location to manipulate large scale battles on the Silent Cartographer in CE around this time, and then made my first full weapon skin, made for the original Halo assault rifle, which made it into H3MT's first leaked version of narrows onto whoever's model that was. I proceeded to follow down that route, and did numerous assault rifle and plasma rifle skins, and even did some models down the road. Also worked with animations and effects.
I eventually started working on my own SP levels in existing BSPs, with no eventual release.

Most showcases of my work was gone with the destruction of Xfire.

HandofGod

Halo Mac/MD Player & Modder

Posted: Mar 30, 2018 12:07 AM    Msg. 33 of 59       
I first started playing Halo PC around 2003/2004 and vaguely remember installing Custom Edition in 05, playing a few mods and being so awed by everything (even after playing a great deal of Xbox Halo 2) I then took a longgg break from Halo and returned to Halo Demo on Mac in 2010/2011. Some of the mods on there were pretty impressive and I really enjoyed Cryosis V2 (idk if anyone's heard of it) and some of the other Bloodgulch mods haha. Sparky made some good stuff for Halo on Mac back then too. When Apple dropped support for Rosetta back in 2011/2012 most of the Mac Halo modders either moved to HaloMD (Mac's version of Custom Edition basically) or Custom Edition. I started modding HaloMD in 2013 and my first mods were terrible and full of CMT and Zteam rips that I tried to personalize in cringey ways. Learned more about the modding process through 002, Sparky, NeX and alot of trial and error on Eschaton ha. When 2014 came I joined here and learned alot about bitmaps, models and basic stuff. Released my first half decent mod to HaloMD in 2015 and actually released an ODST inspired one recently, which is a refresh of Ambush.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Mar 30, 2018 12:49 AM    Msg. 34 of 59       
Yoooooooo when I was stuck with a mac Cryosis was my life. I owe a lot to that little mod tbh.

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Mar 30, 2018 09:28 AM    Msg. 35 of 59       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314

Goddamn your first ever reload was so good
Wasn't my first reload. I actually have a folder with my first 5 reloads in it tucked away somewhere, I think three were done with the Halo 1 AR. They were pretty trash, robotic, and static-like. This BR set was like 2-3 months into my animating "career."

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu November 15, 2018 2:57 PM 281 ms.
A Halo Maps Website