A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »MCC Bringing Halo CE maps to Xbox

Author Topic: MCC Bringing Halo CE maps to Xbox (18 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Father Christmas

Posted: Apr 17, 2018 08:41 PM    Msg. 1 of 18       
Posted in latest blogpost on waypoint
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-3

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Apr 17, 2018 10:08 PM    Msg. 2 of 18       
Latino Johnlex bloodgulch mods in Xbox, no thanks...

DeadHamster

Posted: Apr 18, 2018 11:33 AM    Msg. 3 of 18       
It's most likely just be classic maps like Yoyorast. Actually, it's most likely to be nothing but a pet project.

FtDSpartn

AI fanatic and rookie programmer.

Posted: Apr 18, 2018 04:56 PM    Msg. 4 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
It's most likely just be classic maps like Yoyorast. Actually, it's most likely to be nothing but a pet project.

Well, considering they already have progress on HCE maps working in engine, I wouldn't be surprised to see a free map pack or something with HCE maps.

SomeFan

Discordapp: SomeFan#0171

Posted: Apr 19, 2018 12:40 AM    Msg. 5 of 18       

Halo Noob Modder117

I guess I'm just going to have to rip your tags

Posted: Apr 19, 2018 10:37 PM    Msg. 6 of 18       
As exciting as it sounds to be able to play HCE map mods on HTMCC (AI maps with friends and campaign mods in coop) I dunno...

I'd rather have 343i create their own map design tools or release what they utilise now- similar to a Creation Kit like Fallout for instance.

The current tools, methods and instructions are too old, irrelevant, buggy and rubbish compared to what can be programmed today as seen in other games.
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Apr 19, 2018 at 10:40 PM

FtDSpartn

Posted: Apr 19, 2018 10:52 PM    Msg. 7 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halo Noob Modder117

As exciting as it sounds to be able to play HCE map mods on HTMCC (AI maps with friends and campaign mods in coop) I dunno...

I'd rather have 343i create their own map design tools or release what they utilise now- similar to a Creation Kit like Fallout for instance.

The current tools, methods and instructions are too old, irrelevant, buggy and rubbish compared to what can be programmed today as seen in other games.
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Apr 19, 2018 at 10:40 PM

If they created an editor for console as in-depth as that they might as well have just ported it to PC and made a better editor instead. And no console editor would be as versatile as a PC one.

1bobsam1

I win. You lose.

Posted: Apr 20, 2018 02:07 AM    Msg. 8 of 18       
This is honestly weird, I don't know if they're going to pay homage to Halo Custom Edition by bringing over a few well received/known maps or what. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Kornman (Sean) should ask them if he could get his hands on the actual Halo Custom Edition code and release us some goodies too basically implement all the community patches into the engine officially. I feel like once he shows of his skills with the engine and dedication to the cause he could pull some strings.
Edited by 1bobsam1 on Apr 20, 2018 at 02:11 AM

YottaBiter

ba dum tss!

Posted: Apr 21, 2018 01:57 PM    Msg. 9 of 18       
They better throw in giraffe's [xXx]BestMap or else..

Corvette19

Posted: Aug 1, 2018 12:51 PM    Msg. 10 of 18       
That EULA we complained about for years is now actually serving a great purpose if they put these maps in game!

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 06:43 PM    Msg. 11 of 18       
Wonder how they'll pick the maps to port over and test for full release. Can't quite see them allowing you to download any map you want but maybe they'll surprise me.

Storm

Send memes to www.loganpaul.com/cliffhanger

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 07:12 AM    Msg. 12 of 18       
Tbh I really don't think they'll port maps for MCC. As awesome as it would be, I think it'd be too difficult for them to bother. MCC is a dying game, it's Insider gameplay is actually pretty good but the update that I've played so far is just fixing bits and pieces. I'd much rather theater mode across all campaigns and forging on all maps (CE - H4). They did surprise us with Infinite, so we'll see.

sirbobbington

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 11:37 AM    Msg. 13 of 18       
I'd love to see it, even if just to give some of the maps the homage they deserve. At least a handful of original vanilla maps (Wartorn Cove, Nightcamp, Cliffhanger, Fissurefalls, New Mombasa Classic, and the original Claustrophobia come to mind) are IMO at least as polished as half of the official maps.

Sadly, I doubt they will be bothered to import any maps with custom weapons or vehicles, as fun as that would be. Even Yoyorast probably won't make it.

Also, memory's a little rusty - does the EULA specify that Microsoft can use custom maps without permission? I doubt any of the old mappers would seriously object, but they could raise some issues if they have any copyright claims to the maps concurrent to a grudge against MS/343i or just a general streak of curmudgeonry.

FtDSpartn

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 02:32 PM    Msg. 14 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: sirbobbington
I'd love to see it, even if just to give some of the maps the homage they deserve. At least a handful of original vanilla maps (Wartorn Cove, Nightcamp, Cliffhanger, Fissurefalls, New Mombasa Classic, and the original Claustrophobia come to mind) are IMO at least as polished as half of the official maps.

Sadly, I doubt they will be bothered to import any maps with custom weapons or vehicles, as fun as that would be. Even Yoyorast probably won't make it.

Also, memory's a little rusty - does the EULA specify that Microsoft can use custom maps without permission? I doubt any of the old mappers would seriously object, but they could raise some issues if they have any copyright claims to the maps concurrent to a grudge against MS/343i or just a general streak of curmudgeonry.

Anything run through Tool is automatically Microsoft's property iirc, so they are definitely allowed to do so.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 04:23 PM    Msg. 15 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: FtDSpartn
Anything run through Tool is automatically Microsoft's property iirc, so they are definitely allowed to do so.

Not /entirely/ true. Anything run through tool that doesn't have any existing licenses attached to it or the likes are automatically given a license by MS which also includes the ability to use without permission. BSPs and textures are part of that, so theoretically they could totally just yoink the BSPs, change the weapons/vehicles to be classic, and adjust anything as need be without any care.

However I highly doubt they're going to do it. While its an interesting thought it's probably not very feasible in the long run

sirbobbington

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 10:36 PM    Msg. 16 of 18       
- The wasp on Immure is taken straight from the sci-fi movie The Island. I can't remember if it says that in the readme, but it isn't mentioned on here, and isn't common knowledge. Potential lawsuit right there.

- Yoyorast Island can't be ripped straight over because the secret room has the Rams logo, with "SUCKS" written or it. NFL would have a tizzy with that one.

- Several vehicles from both hugeass and coldsnap are taken from anime series. Again, potential lawsuit.

I could go on, but you get the picture. In today's sue-happy world, it just isn't worth the effort that would be required to figure all that out. Honestly, I would be surprised if even one map made it on to the MCC.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 01:59 PM    Msg. 17 of 18       
^You are 100% correct. No one in their right mind would go through the aggravation of releasing custom maps on mcc. There's really only one thing that may happen is maybe the gearbox made maps get converted over. The only way to get custom maps on mcc is if they set up a system for the community to create and upload mcc maps. But even saying this makes me laugh because its so out there.

DeadHamster

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 02:44 PM    Msg. 18 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: il Duce Primo
There's really only one thing that may happen is maybe the gearbox made maps get converted over.

Timberland, Infinity Canyon, Gephyrophobia and Death Island are all ALREADY present on the MCC.

There will not be any custom maps added. It was a pet project by Sean (AKA Kornman00) who was probably messing around with the source code to see if he could get CE maps to load, just to do it. They explain there's no plans for this, which means he wasn't asked to do it. He looked into it because he's Sean and he was curious if he could pull it off. All that he probably did was add another routine for the different header formats between CE and PC maps. The maps are virtually identical outside of how their read.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu September 20, 2018 5:55 AM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website