A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »models not showing any textures??

Author Topic: models not showing any textures?? (4 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

BOUNTYHUNT3R541

Posted: May 5, 2018 07:37 PM    Msg. 1 of 4       
I Know I'm quite new and quite the noob but I keep coming up with models that have no textures what so ever on imported models.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that I rip the bitmaps straight form Adjacent exported as tiff files then make them as bitmaps then as shader models.

https://ibb.co/jnjRr7
Edited by BOUNTYHUNT3R541 on May 5, 2018 at 07:44 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: May 5, 2018 08:32 PM    Msg. 2 of 4       
So your shader model tags properly reference the bitmap tags?

And the .gbxmodel is DEFINITELY using those shader tags?

Don't say yes, go double check.

When importing with Tool, if no shaders exist then Tool will create a blank shader for you and automatically assign that shader to the model. Tool also goes through every folder alphabetically and selects the FIRST shader it finds with a matching name, so if there are two shader tags with the same name (even if one is a shader_glass or shader_environment, etc.) Tool may have assigned the wrong shader. If Tool (at ANY point) created a shader for you, it places it DIRECTLY into the TAGS folder, which means it will find that empty shader before the actual one you created.

To double check that all of this is setup correctly; open your .GBX_MODEL tag, and find the references near the bottom to the shader tags it's using. Open each tag DIRECTLY from the .GBX_MODEL tag using the [Open] button, and verify that it opened the correct shader.

Then, with the shader tag still open, scroll down to where the diffuse bitmap is referenced, and click [Open] again. Make sure that this is the correct bitmap tag.

Now with the BITMAP tag still open, click the button that says [Show Bitmaps]. You should be able to see the bitmap you selected, if it's empty, black or blank your bitmaps are not formatted properly and must be remade. Many assets past H3 use half-size bitmaps that are inbetween two power-of-two (256, 512, 1024, etc.)

Tool cannot (should not) compile a bitmap that is not a power-of-two dimension. If any of your bitmaps are 768x or 384, you'll need to resize them with Photoshop or an equivalent image editor.

If you go through ALL of the above and are unable to fix your problem, let me know and we'll continue forward.

BOUNTYHUNT3R541

Posted: May 5, 2018 09:47 PM    Msg. 3 of 4       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
So your shader model tags properly reference the bitmap tags?

And the .gbxmodel is DEFINITELY using those shader tags?

Don't say yes, go double check.

When importing with Tool, if no shaders exist then Tool will create a blank shader for you and automatically assign that shader to the model. Tool also goes through every folder alphabetically and selects the FIRST shader it finds with a matching name, so if there are two shader tags with the same name (even if one is a shader_glass or shader_environment, etc.) Tool may have assigned the wrong shader. If Tool (at ANY point) created a shader for you, it places it DIRECTLY into the TAGS folder, which means it will find that empty shader before the actual one you created.

To double check that all of this is setup correctly; open your .GBX_MODEL tag, and find the references near the bottom to the shader tags it's using. Open each tag DIRECTLY from the .GBX_MODEL tag using the [Open] button, and verify that it opened the correct shader.

Then, with the shader tag still open, scroll down to where the diffuse bitmap is referenced, and click [Open] again. Make sure that this is the correct bitmap tag.

Now with the BITMAP tag still open, click the button that says [Show Bitmaps]. You should be able to see the bitmap you selected, if it's empty, black or blank your bitmaps are not formatted properly and must be remade. Many assets past H3 use half-size bitmaps that are inbetween two power-of-two (256, 512, 1024, etc.)

Tool cannot (should not) compile a bitmap that is not a power-of-two dimension. If any of your bitmaps are 768x or 384, you'll need to resize them with Photoshop or an equivalent image editor.

If you go through ALL of the above and are unable to fix your problem, let me know and we'll continue forward.

Ah, got it idk why tool didn't assign the shaders to the gbxmodel in the first place since i had them in the same directory. Then I had manually change the format of the bitmap to color-key transparency because i keep getting errors in tool when compiling the bitmaps.

Thank you, you have been really helpful

DeadHamster

Posted: May 5, 2018 09:52 PM    Msg. 4 of 4       
Glad to hear you got it figured out, and happy I could help. I'm always available to assist anyone with issues as best I can. If you run into something post it here and chances are I'll reply within a day or so, if not send me a PM and I'll be sure to reply back.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat November 17, 2018 7:31 PM 157 ms.
A Halo Maps Website