A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »JMS exporters

Author Topic: JMS exporters (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: May 22, 2018 06:24 AM    Msg. 1 of 8       
Worth a shot posting here,

I've been doing a lot of BSP work for Halo: Composition and sorta hit a wall.

The BSPs are pretty detailed.. and this interior section I'm currently working on has close to 40,000 faces. Nothing some portals can't handle right?

However, upon getting the BSP in sapien/ in-game the screen is littered with faces stretching all over the place from the BSP. The BSP goes through tool and everything just fine.

I suspect this has something to do with Bluestreaks weirdness with handling BSPs, however I only have access to 3ds max 2014, and 2016, and older version are incompatible with windows 10. So I really have no choice.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Is there another exporter that works better? I've encountered this error years ago when I tried to port High Ground just to test out adjustants new features at the time. High Ground also has a pretty high poly count and it seems like Bluestreak breaks in terms of preserving correct vertex positions after a certain count. Although collision seems to be fine.

Thanks guys.

altis94

What doesn't ban me makes me stronger

Posted: May 22, 2018 07:29 AM    Msg. 2 of 8       

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: May 22, 2018 11:18 AM    Msg. 3 of 8       
Win10 is compatible with 3ds Max 8 I don't understand why it shouldn't​ work.

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: May 22, 2018 05:17 PM    Msg. 4 of 8       
Thanks altis, I'll give that a shot when I get home later.

Quote: --- Original message by: EmmanuelCD
Win10 is compatible with 3ds Max 8 I don't understand why it shouldn't​ work.

I had 3ds Max 8, while it does "function", the view ports leave artifacts on the screen and eventually stop working.

If you know a way around this I'd be happy to know, because I prefer Max 8 when it comes to Halo.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: May 23, 2018 01:44 AM    Msg. 5 of 8       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ki11erFTW
I had 3ds Max 8, while it does "function", the view ports leave artifacts on the screen and eventually stop working.

If you know a way around this I'd be happy to know, because I prefer Max 8 when it comes to Halo.

There are legends on the internet, that if you do something that totally shouldn't work, it will fix it. Apparently if you make a copy of the 3dsmax exe, and run the differently named exe instead, if somehow magically fixes it for no understandable reason. I haven't done full tests myself, but the one week I left 3dsmax 8 running in the background occasionally messing with it with the renamed exe, and it didn't break. witchcraft.

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: May 23, 2018 11:49 AM    Msg. 6 of 8       
I figured out that the issue was somehow related to triangle count and or portals. I threw an Optimize on my mesh just to see if it would make a difference in game and it fixed the issue. Quite odd honestly as Iím pretty sure I have other BSPs that have more triangles than this and never gave me issues.

DeadHamster

Posted: May 23, 2018 11:50 AM    Msg. 7 of 8       
Quote: --- Original message by: Ki11erFTW

The BSPs are pretty detailed.. and this interior section I'm currently working on has close to 40,000 faces. Nothing some portals can't handle right?

I can assure you this is not the case. Design the structure with culling sections in mind or you'll pay for it later on.

OrangeJuice

halohek.pbworks.com

Posted: May 23, 2018 03:34 PM    Msg. 8 of 8       
Heey if you can confirm that those fixes work(considering how hard it is to confirm them), post it here

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=8580&start=44
Edited by OrangeJuice on May 23, 2018 at 03:41 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun September 23, 2018 3:17 PM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website