A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Please! I'm Losing my Mind!!!

Author Topic: Please! I'm Losing my Mind!!! (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo Noob Modder117

I guess I'm just going to have to rip your tags

Posted: Jun 9, 2018 08:46 PM    Msg. 1 of 10       
Guys seriously, are all my Halo models broken?!

I wanted to do some variations to the pelican... Don't ask its nothing special what I'm doing but as usual, just to test, I export the default pelican model successfully from 3DS MAX and create it in Tool but, when it comes to doing the collisions in Tool, ERRORS. ERRORS ERRORS ERRORS ERRORS!!!

How on Earth do other people do vanilla edits to things and not have these issues???

I test the WRL file and honestly, its just faint red lines, I can barely see them and barely make out what they are. There are 3 small red lines around what I assume are the wings and antenna sections and a bigger red piece around the front window.

What the hell is this? Why are all the default models broken? And is there a way to better see these faint red artefacts? This is driving me insane now. Every time I want to make my own things, collisions or dumb texture errors just pop up for no reason at all.

EDIT: OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG I DID IT!!! I EFFING DID IT! AFTER ALL THESE YEARS!!! F YEAH I FINALLY FIGURED OUT WHAT I WAS DOING WRONG ALL THIS TIME!!!

...There were a few sections that had a duplicate piece on top of another piece... I edited and checked the WRL file and used Tool and this red triangle BS is slowly starting to shrink... I am such a derp and give up way too easy, how did I not comprehend this in the first place?!

...My new question is though, why the hell are the default models that broken? How on Earth were these even put into the game in the first place?!
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Jun 9, 2018 at 09:24 PM

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Jun 9, 2018 11:09 PM    Msg. 2 of 10       
Go in sapien and use the command "debug_objects 1", it will show you bounding spheres and collisions of objects. Place down all the vanilla vehicles and you will see that bungie never used the same model for rendering for collision.

In fact, even when cleaned up using the render model as collision is usually bad. It can cause glitches with falling through objects when touching too many faces, you can get phantom bsps on your objects that you can't detect with collision_debug_phantom_bsp.

Here is an example of how it should be done, for this render model:

It's best to create collision a little something like this if you don't want players to glitch through it when crates are stacked near each other:

Here is examples of collisions that cause issues, they compile, no errors or warnings, but they are glitchy:

These are bad

You can walk through this one at certain angles, and if you are on a platform that is also scenery while touching this you fall through:

Less prevalent, but the same issues are there:

These are good

Only the first collision I showed is simple enough for the game, here is some examples from the ce vanilla tags, the black mesh around the objects here are their true collision. This is how collisions for this game should be:

Edited by SBB_Michelle on Jun 9, 2018 at 11:10 PM

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jun 10, 2018 05:32 AM    Msg. 3 of 10       
Ah, ill keep this thread bookmarked for future reference, thanks for this info.

Since you have a wealth of knowledge regarding this I think you are the best person to answer this, I have a quick technical question for you SBB_M. For glass/windows was it % Two sided property or # Transparent property? They have similar descriptions but I just want to be 100% sure in case I break everything. (The 3DS MAX render symbol crap)

Again thanks for the help.
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Jun 10, 2018 at 05:35 AM

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Jun 10, 2018 11:42 AM    Msg. 4 of 10       
You should add both the %# to the end of the material name, note that this only works for bsp.

If you want object materials to be double sided you need to set that property in the shader in guerilla, or copy the faces and flip them. If you do the shader setting make sure you also enable "light independent of normals". If you add these symbols to the jms in models it will add the symbols to the actual shader tag name and they won't have their properties, but these do work in "model_collision"/exports in physics.

Edit:
Look out with long material names, tool only reads the first 31 characters of a material, so if there is any text of the name beyond that or any shader symbols, they will be ignored.
Edited by SBB_Michelle on Jun 10, 2018 at 11:43 AM

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 09:27 PM    Msg. 5 of 10       
Awesome. Thanks for that SBB_M. I wouldn't have gotten my scenery into the game without that info you shared.

Much appreciated.

sparky

Fools deceive, but knowledge of Jesus is life.

Posted: Jun 12, 2018 06:57 PM    Msg. 6 of 10       
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJF6E9YXXVE&index=29&list=PLOLhzsHlG3Qr8R5AgI67kKB9HisblIkZS&t=0s

Quote: --- Original message by: Halo Noob Modder117

Guys seriously, are all my Halo models broken?!
[...]
...My new question is though, why the hell are the default models that broken? How on Earth were these even put into the game in the first place?!
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Jun 9, 2018 at 09:24 PM

I think the answer to all these questions is that the models are probably imported incorrectly by the model importation script you are using. GBX Model Importer is not necessarily perfect.

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 10:22 AM    Msg. 7 of 10       
This is what infuriates me... I Google so much crap and then there are these massive pages or sets of videos that I can never find via search. I guess my Google is just as broken sometimes?

I'm going to bed and will study these videos later. For now quickly, how do you guys check the collisions in Sapien? My object has the collision but its way smaller than my model some how and placed around the top right of it rather than being around the whole thing. I know how to change the bounding radius and render stuff but how did you get the sphere and black lines to display in Sapien? I need a visual aid there to save me from building a map and going in and out of the game.

Once again I spent half an hour on Google... The only results I get regarding that have nothing to do with Halo... Its probably beyond too late but you guys will not understand the amount of enjoyment I feel being able to finally get models into Halo. Just wish I could get passed that unknown texture glitch when I do bipeds...

Are there any better 3DS MAX scripts out there I should be using? I assume most of my issues are caused by it as when I test the process on default stuff already in game many issues occur.
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Jun 13, 2018 at 10:28 AM

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 01:22 PM    Msg. 8 of 10       
debug_objects 1

Also make sure your bounding radius is big enough.

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 10:09 PM    Msg. 9 of 10       
Cheers. I need to make a document containing some useful Sapien commands...

UPDATE: All is going well for once. I managed to get the orb around my object however no matter what I tinker with, my 'wireframe' looking object never moves and is not aligned with my object...

Could it be Tool or 3DS MAX? I extract the JMS to models and physics and then use Tool for the stuff but the collision-geometry always comes out to the left of my object...? Waaah?

EDIT: Well I didn't find out how to move the wireframe BUT I found out how to move the object to the wireframe. In the .gbxmodel tag I went to NODES and moved the frames default transition. So now I moved my object to the collision (wireframe) and they are together. Is this alright to do? Does moving the frame's default transition break anything?

EDIT2: ITS DONE. For once I can turn off my computer with closure. Hopefully this thread will help others in the future with this same issue read this and also have success. I just made my very first GBX model related mod! Maybe one day I can do those BSP and Biped mods I always wanted to do...
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Jun 13, 2018 at 10:52 PM

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 11:57 PM    Msg. 10 of 10       
For bsps you can move the frame out of the middle of the scene, but you should not do this for most non-bsp models.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu November 15, 2018 6:22 AM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website