A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »How about an INTERIOR level/bsp tutorial?

Author Topic: How about an INTERIOR level/bsp tutorial? (24 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo Noob Modder117

I guess I'm just going to have to rip your tags

Posted: Jun 30, 2018 11:37 PM    Msg. 1 of 24       
Hey guys, unless once again there is one hiding somewhere from me whilst I've been searching, where are all the interior level/BSP creation tutorials/notes at?

I assume there aren't any because making an exterior BSP is essentially the same thing? ...Like adding a sky to an interior?

I think some new, if not outdated tutorials need to be created or recreated.

Side note- Any firefight map creation tutorial VIDEOS? I read a PDF but it was a little hard to follow. Pictures/Videos are a better medium so rather than trying to figure out/comprehend stuff you can just watch and click and not waste yours and other people's time asking stupid little questions on this forum. Benefits everyone I guess.

MatthewDratt

Newly redesigned MattDratt.com

Posted: Jul 1, 2018 12:42 AM    Msg. 2 of 24       
You do not need to add a sky to an interior map if its 100% closed off. Halo only needs maps to be 100% closed. Sky just shows the skybox, whether interior or exterior.

No real good tutorials for interior stuff unfortunately. I'd just look up hard modeling tutorials over anything else honestly. Once you get OK at modeling you just need to create something that's 100% closed off, attach it to a frame, and make sure the shaders in max have shader_environments in your tag.

If anything you could look here I guess https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLffzBdSV8dXoFYtpDp6vBFMIYoxApkWHz https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLffzBdSV8dXoWpG-_3AMmSJ7yXkNXTI5D
Edited by MatthewDratt on Jul 1, 2018 at 12:43 AM

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jul 1, 2018 09:44 PM    Msg. 3 of 24       
See! Again!!! How am I not finding these? I'll take a look. I know how to model, make a map etc. Well at least edit some exteriors and make... A box...

I was asking about this last year, I was trying to make vanilla edits to existing campaign maps. Every time I fix the texture prefixes and use Tool it literally CREATES NEW red lines that weren't originally there.

Say I had 1 triangle there, I fixed that and then recompile thinking "yes last one done" and then Tool shows me a new one that wasn't there. So this is my new issue and I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong with the method. Hence why I ask about interiors as I followed exterior tutorials thinking it doesn't work out.

Anyway I'll watch these after and try again. Thanks for that.

OrangeJuice

Yup, It's like working with insufferable neurotics

Posted: Jul 2, 2018 01:59 AM    Msg. 4 of 24       
Are you using the old bluestreak 102 exporters from 10 years ago? Those tend to make fake errors sometimes
Edited by OrangeJuice on Jul 2, 2018 at 02:09 AM

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jul 2, 2018 05:51 AM    Msg. 5 of 24       
You know its been years since I installed all the crap and I wouldn't have a clue for the life of me... It was some Bluestreak GBX importer and exporter... What's the modern thing I should be using? For comparison sake IF I am using an old one.

Fake errors? Sounds true. I fix one triangle then all of a sudden a new one appears on the other side of the model for no reason that was never originally there. I got so excited seeing less and less triangles and making progress after all these years but Tool just reached out "Years later and you figure it out? Well Ima chuck some more errors your way" I'm cursed I swear. I'm sick of ripping, I just want to make my own things for once!!

Secretly I was hoping for some kind person to go "hey give me your file and I'll look at it" but rather than giving it back to me fixed, just tell me what's wrong and I can learn myself. Hint hint.

EDIT: Its the 1.0.2 JMS exporter.
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Jul 2, 2018 at 05:53 AM

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Jul 3, 2018 04:28 AM    Msg. 6 of 24       
I have never experienced fake errors when using bluestreak, even if something didn't make sense at first I'll usually figure out the real cause later on. I do know that some other people need to restart max sometimes when they have certain problems they just can't explain.

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jul 3, 2018 07:39 AM    Msg. 7 of 24       
I'll be more specific with my issue. So basically on one side of my hallway there are no red lines currently present according to the WRL and Tool, only the parts where I have to define the correct materials and suffixes. After I edit the glass and alpha_test materials I re-use Tool to fix these red parts.

After I use Tool, my old triangles (the material ones) are gone but a bunch of new ones appear in random places on the mesh. I don't understand, the geometry doesn't change nor does the material for those sections so where on Earth are these red things coming from? There are no holes, the textures are correct and nothing changes. They just become red after I remove my original triangles...
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Jul 3, 2018 at 07:42 AM

OrangeJuice

Yup, It's like working with insufferable neurotics

Posted: Jul 3, 2018 01:51 PM    Msg. 8 of 24       
Try one of these exporters:

bobbysoon's JMS exporter(is a maxscript)
or
junglegym (is a DLE, so goes in plugins)
Edited by OrangeJuice on Jul 3, 2018 at 01:51 PM

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jul 3, 2018 07:10 PM    Msg. 9 of 24       
post the debug that tool spits out. Also a screenshot of your model with the wrl imported also can help.

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jul 4, 2018 04:31 AM    Msg. 10 of 24       
The usual crap. Something happened to my 32bit 2013 3DS MAX and I can no longer use it so I cannot import any WRLs any more either. BEFORE it MAGICALLY broke, the WRL just showed THICK red lines around every door frame with a portal. I assume I never sealed the level up properly with the portals? I'm probably doing something wrong with them. It's strange I usually get the 'hard to see' faded red lines but these ones are now THICK bright red lines.

building intermediate geometry...
building collision geometry...
### ERROR edge #8589 is open (red).
### ERROR edge #13027 is open (red).
### ERROR edge #13046 is open (red).
### ERROR edge #20318 is open (red).
### ERROR edge #20559 is open (red).
### ERROR edge #9999999 blablabla you've all seen these before (red).
### ERROR failed to build collision geometry.
### ERROR failed to import collision bsp.

I cannot paste a screenshot here for some reason. Anyway this one is an imported a10a bsp. WITH NO changes (apart from the material fixing so I could use it in Tool) and yeah as usual the triangles are always around the door frames where blast doors and smaller doors lead to the void on the edge of each hallway. Just plop one out and import it into 3DS MAX, heck try making an edit and I think you'll see what I mean. All I was doing with a10 was adding more rooms, but for some reason, the default bsps already come exported with errors regardless if you make any changes or not.
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Jul 4, 2018 at 04:37 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 4, 2018 11:11 AM    Msg. 11 of 24       
Those B40 AOTCR hallways lead to +sky materials.

The importerts do NOT import +sky material geomertry. You DO have to rebuild any faces that were originally +sky, every time.

As Matt said you do not NEED sky materials, you can utilize interior lighting and have all faces show standard materials. But almost every bungie map utilizes +sky materials, even as interior levels.

A10 has windows that look out into space. Behind the semi-transparent window texture is a +sky box extruded out. B40 has the top of the level that needs to be sealed with sky. They also chose to use +sky instead of +seamsealer or a standard material to end the hallways. Uncertain as to why they did this, but they did.

So yes, EVERY TIME you import a BSP you MUST reconstruct any sky materials it was originally made with, or rebuild it so that it is no longer requiring them to seal the geometry. ALSO, ANY MATERIAL THAT WAS SET TO RENDER-ONLY OR COLLISION-ONLY ARE NOT SAVED. So you may have to reconstruct or reassign special shader symbols as well.
Edited by DeadHamster on Jul 4, 2018 at 11:16 AM

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jul 5, 2018 09:29 AM    Msg. 12 of 24       
I triple checked my bsp (I've only gotten as far as doing the a10a bsp for my so far failed project) and I just cannot figure it out. I've added the special symbols for the windows and alpha test grates so they're no longer giving me triangles. Its just those damn door frames. I don't think the windowless bsps had skies but I made one anyway to test if it'd work but it didn't.

Whether or not I remove the portals everything still screws up. What if I tried welding the door frames and block them with a solid wall rather than them leading to a void? Or will that screw up the bsp transitions?

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 12:41 AM    Msg. 13 of 24       
sounds like your portal material is setup wrong. Try compiling the bsp without the portals

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 06:45 AM    Msg. 14 of 24       
Yep. The same door frame areas with and without the portals produce the same results. I don't get it. Are the A10 bsps impossible to edit? The exterior ones always work but I just cannot edit any a10, a50 or other interiors in other levels...

Aside from CMT I'm just going to go on a limb here and assume since only 1 team managed to pull this off somehow I'm probably doing something way out of me league here...

This is why I like to rip sometimes... One can only spend so many days, weeks, months and years trying to make their own junk only to encounter unfixable errors...
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Jul 6, 2018 at 06:47 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 08:01 AM    Msg. 15 of 24       
I, along with countless others, have edited A10, A50 and other "interior" BSPs. Here's a secret; interior and exterior BSPs are completely identical. There is no such thing as an interior BSP, there are just BSPs. They're all built identically.

Again, you have open edges around the door frames. You didn't build the sky materials properly, you didn't seal the geometry properly. There is no big secret that you're missing, you just need to go back and look at where the errors are and recreate the triangles. Make sure every vertice is used and that there are no overlapping faces, and that the faces are pointing inwards.

Halo Noob Modder117

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 09:26 AM    Msg. 16 of 24       
Alright then. I will go back at seeing what the heck these door frames want with their chunky red lines. Let's see how many months later it will be when I post that I finally discovered what I kept missing!

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 04:41 PM    Msg. 17 of 24       
the "chunky red lines" are open edges, they always are. You need to make geometry there to seal that hole.

Edit: And make sure those faces you created face into the bsp.
Edited by SBB_Michelle on Jul 6, 2018 at 04:43 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 05:48 PM    Msg. 18 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halo Noob Modder117
Alright then. I will go back at seeing what the heck these door frames want with their chunky red lines. Let's see how many months later it will be when I post that I finally discovered what I kept missing!

Any updates? Do you still need any help with the errors that you had popping up?

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Aug 11, 2018 02:41 PM    Msg. 19 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: Alison Angel
sounds like your portal material is setup wrong. Try compiling the bsp without the portals

where is dsali?

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Some tutorials would be nice...

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 01:53 AM    Msg. 20 of 24       
God took forever to find this. Well, I failed epically BUT I just had an epiphany as I just fixed up and successfully exported working collisions for my scenery and biped tags...

They had small, thin red lines and I could easily fix them. With my BSP, although it had the same thing and I got to fix them too, now there is something different... These red lines on my BSP are larger, thick red chunks. With and without portals they remain.

So maybe I am doing something wrong with my portals? Another side thing, as I am just getting used to 3DS MAX, say I got a hole, what's the easiest way to plug it?
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 15, 2018 at 02:03 AM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 08:28 AM    Msg. 21 of 24       
If you're in Edible Poly
select every vert around the hole
click create new plane (or whatever the button is called)
it should fill the hole

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 08:43 AM    Msg. 22 of 24       
Cheers dude

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 10:16 AM    Msg. 23 of 24       
Make sure to convert to editable mesh when exporting.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 02:14 PM    Msg. 24 of 24       
Thanks for pointing that out, never really thought of that. Need to make sure I start making that a habit.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed November 21, 2018 12:05 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website