A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Setting the record straight

Author Topic: Setting the record straight (35 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

sparky

Fools deceive, but knowledge of Jesus is life.

Posted: Aug 2, 2018 05:25 AM    Msg. 1 of 35       
I have spent about $20,000 USD on server hosting expenses, not to mention decades of my life, day and night. That's money, time, effort, creative thought, expertise, and so on, in the pursuit of doing nice things for the Halo communities, most people of whom have openly expressed hatred of me and have rejected me and verbally and emotionally and spiritually abused me. It has been all expense and no gain or reward, not even recognition, but only more mockery and disdain towards me. Perhaps my life would be so much better had I never tried to help or do anything good for the members of the Halo communities. And my simply asking that people be kind to each other is ignored like everything else I say to try to improve the community. I have been unemployed without income all this time. I could have used this time focusing on other things, like finding a job, getting some financial support for my future, socializing or making friends with the people around me, or any other "mature adult" activity, but no, I have foregone my 20's and some of my 30's to play an old computer game and relentlessly pursue a seemingly pointless agenda, all to help people who are mostly unfaithful and have long ago branded me rejected. Would you have what it takes to do and to continue doing the same?

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Aug 2, 2018 12:23 PM    Msg. 2 of 35       
2 years later, same story.

You should have been more careful of how you try force your opinions on everyone.

Everything you mentioned should have been done for your own reasons, if you are doing it for recognition then you are doing it wrong.

DeadHamster

Posted: Aug 2, 2018 01:56 PM    Msg. 3 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
You should have been more careful of how you try force your opinions on everyone.

Yup

Kavawuvi

Posted: Aug 2, 2018 02:06 PM    Msg. 4 of 35       
Okay, so what does this even have to do with Halo? Or are you trying to bait people into having a meaningless argument rather than having an intelligent discussion. Maybe try seeking a therapist, instead?

Edited by Kavawuvi on Aug 3, 2018 at 01:14 AM

Donut

I swear I'm not actually dead

Posted: Aug 2, 2018 09:06 PM    Msg. 5 of 35       
You spent $20,000 hosting a game server while you had no income?

Pepzee

Posted: Aug 2, 2018 10:13 PM    Msg. 6 of 35       
Next time I recommend you donate the $20,000 to Halomaps. It may help this place out, you never know...
Edited by Pepzee on Aug 2, 2018 at 10:14 PM

MatthewDratt

Newly redesigned MattDratt.com

Posted: Aug 2, 2018 10:27 PM    Msg. 7 of 35       
How do you even spend that much on server hosting? Like, what are you even buying? I thought HaloCE3.com costed me too much money and that costs me like $150 a year between the domain/host/mediafire premium.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Aug 2, 2018 10:34 PM    Msg. 8 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
How do you even spend that much on server hosting? Like, what are you even buying? I thought HaloCE3.com costed me too much money and that costs me like $150 a year between the domain/host/mediafire premium.

It's not about any of that.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 04:20 AM    Msg. 9 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
It has been all expense and no gain or reward, not even recognition, but only more mockery and disdain towards me

"The world owes you nothing: It was here first." - Mark Twain

I have spent .... decades of my life .... in the pursuit of doing nice things for the Halo communities

Halo came out in 2001.

It's currently 2018.

A decade is ten years.
decades

Something about this math doesn't quite check out.
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
Like, what are you even buying?

Delusions of grandeur.
Quote: --- Original message by: Pepzee

Next time I recommend you donate the $20,000 to Halomaps. It may help this place out, you never know...

We do need to think about donating more often, regardless of whether it has any impact on the site's relative inactivity, because (while we're on the subject of recognition) Dennis has put money, time, and effort into something that everyone of us has enjoyed since 2005. Not because he wished praise, or reward, or recognition, but because he made a promise.

Edited by Echo77 on Aug 3, 2018 at 04:25 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 10:04 AM    Msg. 10 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
We do need to think about donating more often, regardless of whether it has any impact on the site's relative inactivity, because (while we're on the subject of recognition) Dennis has put money, time, and effort into something that everyone of us has enjoyed since 2005. Not because he wished praise, or reward, or recognition, but because he made a promise.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/299011303727431690/474852256487833600/When_I_Make_a_Promise.PNG

Well now, that hit me double hard right in the feels.

The Gravemind

I Am The Monument To All Your Sins

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 02:20 PM    Msg. 11 of 35       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/299011303727431690/474852256487833600/When_I_Make_a_Promise.PNG

Well now, that hit me double hard right in the feels.

same I really did not expect that.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 10:41 PM    Msg. 12 of 35       
insert a bible quote here

insert an insult to other users for not being religious here

insert a long extreme wall of text about being harassed and bullied here

insert "I'm done with Halo CE" here

come back a week later

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 11:54 PM    Msg. 13 of 35       
No one to blame but yourself. How can you possibly try to blame anyone here for literally any of this?

Halo Noob Modder117

I guess I'm just going to have to rip your tags

Posted: Aug 4, 2018 08:35 AM    Msg. 14 of 35       
Meanwhile in the Halo Maps Forum Days of Our Lives...

Another day, less mods, more drama...

Can ya'll hurry up and release some more mods that I can rip or some more tutorials I can follow? K thanx bye
Edited by Halo Noob Modder117 on Aug 4, 2018 at 08:37 AM

sparky

Fools deceive, but knowledge of Jesus is life.

Posted: Aug 4, 2018 09:52 AM    Msg. 15 of 35       
Quote: "What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called Christ?" Pilate asked.
They all answered, "Crucify him!"
"Why? What crime has he committed?" asked Pilate.
But they shouted all the louder, "Crucify him!"

Should I wait for the day when the members of this forum no longer consist of cowards? Or should I just say that those who sought to crush me underfoot will become dust under my feet, and they will be washed off as such? Perhaps I should point out the fact that you are more irresponsible and careless with few words than I am with many words, that "whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much; whoever is dishonest with little will also be dishonest with much," and so that this is all a poor investment of my words? Perhaps I should simply make software to use all by myself and share nothing with people who care only about boosting their own ego as inconsiderate, foolish, cruel narcissists. After all, it is people like this who cause the end of the world. And as a person who values justice, I find that very provocative.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Aug 4, 2018 12:29 PM    Msg. 16 of 35       
Perhaps I should simply make software to use all by myself and share nothing

This is a threat that rings hollow in this place.

people who care only about boosting their own ego

You're one of them (you literally just compared yourself to actual Jesus), and everyone has recognized this through your actions on this forum. That's why they band together against you. Jesus wasn't whinging and crying about how much people didn't like him.

DeadHamster

Posted: Aug 4, 2018 02:23 PM    Msg. 17 of 35       
Everyone, stop responding to sparky. This is pitiful.

Pepzee

Posted: Aug 4, 2018 08:48 PM    Msg. 18 of 35       

This is a threat that rings hollow in this place.

This even happens when the intent is to release things.

Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
Everyone, stop responding to sparky. This is pitiful.

You want to steal the little bit of life this place has left? That is pitiful.

This thread would have been locked by now if it had absolutely no relevance.
Edited by Pepzee on Aug 4, 2018 at 08:50 PM

not giraffe

Posted: Aug 4, 2018 11:35 PM    Msg. 19 of 35       
sparky, isn't it about time you forgive me? I'm sorry, I meant no ill will when I changed your Discord server name from "Developer Community" to "Devil Community".

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 11:53 PM    Msg. 20 of 35       
I have spent about $20,000 USD on server hosting expenses,

That is your choice, it was a bad one, but yours to make. You can't buy friends.
It has been all expense and no gain or reward, not even recognition,
Then you did it for the wrong reasons.
Would you have what it takes to do and to continue doing the same?

Gee... I'dunno would I? 34,233,345 Downloads & Total Bytes Served: 1,506.83 Terabytes

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Aug 10, 2018 12:13 AM    Msg. 21 of 35       
Please do. You may find that more people will like you that way since you won't be trying to win their affection/approval.
"whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much; whoever is dishonest with little will also be dishonest with much,"
Taking a quote from a parable completely out of context does not help you here. No one here is your servant.

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Aug 10, 2018 12:40 AM    Msg. 22 of 35       
I tried to have a serious talk with him a while ago, but it just ended up the same way it always ends up on this forum. I have been genuinely convinced that there is no good thing you can get out of talking to sparky. Nothing will improve.

I urge everyone here to just give up on this guy, he's a lost cause.

Edit:

I will go against what I just said by doing this, but whatever.

I want you to look at Dennis. Dennis has hosted this website for years, updating it and moderating it when needed. Dennis got to the point of needing food stamps so he could eat. You know what he didn't do? Shut down the servers. You know what he also hasn't done to my knowledge? Complained and asked people for gratefulness. And all of that while people slander him and are horrible to each other.

This website is built upon a promise, a promise kept no matter if the person it was promised to still cares. Because Dennis cares about keeping his promise.

That is in my eyes what being a good person really is about.

Doing it because you made a promise or because it will help people. Not to win gratitude.

Edited by SBB_Michelle on Aug 10, 2018 at 12:53 AM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Aug 10, 2018 07:05 AM    Msg. 23 of 35       
Wow are you pleading for pity or what
For all your vernacular you're actually pretty stupid. WHY would you arrange your priorities in this way.
There is absolutely no reason to continue what you're doing, so do everything you mentioned you could have done.

thellt

chiperdilly the great 1999-2017

Posted: Aug 11, 2018 12:56 AM    Msg. 24 of 35       
you know i never had a problem with sparky. hes always been kind to me and i learn a lot from him every time i message him...

i agree though we should contribute more to eachothers work. donating to dennis and supporting his server hosting. and i think being supporting of each others time and effort is really crucial.

the community needs us to band together and not tear each other down.

speeking of being supportive i have another (yeah yeah i know XD ) bigass, variant mod to release soon and it should be more promicing.... not as good as the offical servers map but i do have it styled entirely in reach assets, minus a couple warn down prototype, mark v, i re textured.

preview of the mk v

Edited by thellt on Aug 11, 2018 at 01:00 AM

Corvette19

Posted: Aug 11, 2018 03:19 AM    Msg. 25 of 35       
Never saw that post where Dennis spoke about the origins of this website.... you have my gratitude.

Sparky, you may be a narcissist. You should really seek therapy, your behavior is really destructive and unusual. It’s obvious you need the validation of others’ because you can’t be happy with yourself. You gotta learn to love yourself and you can start by celebrating the awesome community we have here.

Halomaps.org forever rocks.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Aug 11, 2018 02:38 PM    Msg. 26 of 35       
Hi sparkles!

thellt

chiperdilly the great 1999-2017

Posted: Aug 11, 2018 09:18 PM    Msg. 27 of 35       
hey sparky on a personal note, i know things can get you feeling down, but dont let others treat you like youre nothing special. you have made a lot of contributions to the community and i appreciate you as well as everyone else. i realise i have been very immature in the past. and i dont tolerate others destroying others peace of mind. to me, everyone is a valuable member. love is important. some feel that the need to tear others down is a good idea but its really just immaturity on their behalf.

i have made some excelent strides in the last year or two to improve my overall health. i started working with halo at 11 years of age and im 26 now, and happily in a relationship that is much more than awesome for me. and way better than my previous ex, and i think mostly it is because i am forward about my thoughts and my feelings and i do not let others walk on me any or any one of my freinds any more.

in the words of Ellen herself, "be kind to one another."

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Aug 11, 2018 11:58 PM    Msg. 28 of 35       
plug walk

The Kingx

ᕙ༼ ಠ益ಠ༽ᕗ

Posted: Aug 12, 2018 10:21 AM    Msg. 29 of 35       
Sparky's posts are an amazing source of entertainment. Halomaps wouldn't be the same without them.

GLaDOS

Testing you.

Posted: Aug 13, 2018 05:27 PM    Msg. 30 of 35       
Oh well... It's only money...
YOUR money... Twenty thousand dollars of it... Right down the drain.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Aug 14, 2018 11:35 PM    Msg. 31 of 35       
pay for my college

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 05:14 PM    Msg. 32 of 35       
I really would like to know where the $20,000 USD comes from. It intrigues me.

And on another story...

I remember Dennis talking about playing Halo with his nephew, but didn't knew he made the site for him.

Sometimes Dennis takes a lot of hits from the community about his moderation decisions, but quite frankly thanks to Dennis Powers a lot of the most played mp maps and most successful campaigns came to be thanks to his forum and website that has brought in the community together. Bungie even hired some peeps from the community in the old 2006-2007 days, probably they got the position thanks to this site.

Halomaps.org, regardless of the hate it got from some people, it's part of the history and community for Halo PC.

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 09:26 PM    Msg. 33 of 35       
This thread is legendary. I've never seen a more hilarious example of a complete loser in all my time associated with this game. For you to admit it in typical pedantic fashion like this is all the sweeter.

I hope EtchyaSketch sees this one and gets inspired again.

*SNAP*

Father Christmas

Posted: Yesterday @ 02:23 PM    Msg. 34 of 35       
You're still going to get coal in your stocking this coming season.

Bottletopman

Blessed are the cheesemakers

Posted: Today @ 09:26 AM    Msg. 35 of 35       
Damn son...Dennis kept this site up purely out of a promise? Goddamn...

I know if I had more money than I knew what to do with I'd happily chip in to keep this site going on for a long long time.

Previous Older Thread   

Time: Tue September 25, 2018 10:15 AM 109 ms.
A Halo Maps Website