A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Are the HaloMaps downloads going to update?

Author Topic: Are the HaloMaps downloads going to update? (20 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Captain Cook

Posted: Oct 4, 2018 06:24 PM    Msg. 1 of 20       
Like, at all? I understand Dennis isn't on 24/7 and he has much more important stuff to direct his attention towards but all the "new" things that have been uploaded to the site were all uploaded 2 years ago

Pepzee

Posted: Oct 4, 2018 10:50 PM    Msg. 2 of 20       
The widespread belief that I have heard is "no". I hope they are wrong. At this point so much time has passed, so who knows?

I remember there used to be a lot of threads around here predicting the death of Halomaps, perhaps the time is upon us, or maybe the time has already passed? A little dramatic, but the real answer is no one knows, and no one has a lot of faith anymore.

The most we can do is hope Dennis is still alive and in good health.

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Oct 5, 2018 09:30 PM    Msg. 3 of 20       
Submit and download new maps here.

https://haloce3.com/

The Gravemind

I Am The Monument To All Your Sins

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 12:31 AM    Msg. 4 of 20       
he did answer this thread: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50869 about a month ago, so he is still around.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 03:22 AM    Msg. 5 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: Pepzee
the death of Halomaps

All the old maps are still there, and the forum still works. New projects can be posted here and linked to directly.

Halomaps lives forever.

Captain Cook

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 07:01 AM    Msg. 6 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle

Do these get updated very often? I'm seeing a lot of the new content being from last year in there, is it an annual thing? Pretty good successor though in the event that we're (hopefully not) right about HaloMaps never being updated again

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 01:09 PM    Msg. 7 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: Captain Cook

Do these get updated very often? I'm seeing a lot of the new content being from last year in there, is it an annual thing? Pretty good successor though in the event that we're (hopefully not) right about HaloMaps never being updated again

It was being updated every month, but yeah Matt doesnt have many time to upload the maps, I have already upload 2 maps and they haven't been posted

MatthewDratt

Newly redesigned MattDratt.com

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 03:41 PM    Msg. 8 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: EmmanuelCD
Quote: --- Original message by: Captain Cook

It was being updated every month, but yeah Matt doesnt have many time to upload the maps, I have already upload 2 maps and they haven't been posted

I'm working 60-70 hours a week right now and don't have a lot of time to do that. My 2nd job ends in November so I'll try to clear out the uploads by years end.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Some tutorials would be nice...

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 06:42 PM    Msg. 9 of 20       
...In all honesty, you know what we really need? A new Universal UI. I have so many maps from people and a few of my own that aren't in the lists and its getting kind of annoying having to type the ` map name thing.

I heard one was in the works though so once its uploaded, here's an awesome idea- leave a script or document explaining how to add your own maps to it or show how new maps were added to it, then everyone can tinker with their own UUI FOREVER without ever needing an update again...

Apart from CMT, all the firefight maps and other campaigns (not counting those of us who have a few of our own unreleased personal maps and test maps), I don't see the point in updating any map download sites until this is rectified. Food for thought. Ca'mon it'll be fun!

This modding community needs more than just fresh maps to keep it going.

Matt could you also make it a rule for modders to at least provide some form of description and at least a picture or two showing the mod or map? Just so you know for sure what you're downloading...
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 8, 2018 at 06:46 PM

EmmanuelCD

End my suffering

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 10:14 AM    Msg. 10 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halo CE Noob Modder117

This modding community needs more than just fresh maps to keep it going.

Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 8, 2018 at 06:46 PM

We need actually quality maps, and they are hard to produce. I can make a decent map in 24 hours but it may be boring and everybody will only play it only once
Edited by EmmanuelCD on Oct 10, 2018 at 10:14 AM

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 09:50 PM    Msg. 11 of 20       
Out of curiosity how many people now days actually make maps around here?

I always wanted to jump on the band wagon but I could never finish any of them due to lack of tutorials and unsolvable errors.
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 10, 2018 at 09:50 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Oct 11, 2018 10:31 AM    Msg. 12 of 20       
lack of tutorials

What kind of tutorials are you looking for

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Oct 11, 2018 12:14 PM    Msg. 13 of 20       
Like how to make a map that isn't a box or better yet, editing an existing map such as a complex single player map. Oh and how to set up BSP overlaps and all that...

...AND UI tutorials that show a little more things than just creating a custom camera to fly around a random scenario, you know, like more buttons, menus and adding maps to those menus.

Comparing this community (that's been out for ages compared to others) there are very little tutorials and barely any content being released apart from the odd single player/firefight map here and there and a dozen dodgy MP maps. Check out Fallout or GTA modding, those joints are massive and there are 100 different tutorials for the same thing that cover just about everything. Halo sadly, you have to be really lucky to find anything helpful yet alone come across an experienced person who can be bothered helping.

Once these few experienced modders move on or die off, the community will too as nobody can learn or have visual aids to turn new comers and noobs into successful modders.

EDIT: Nasty example- Not naming names, last year I asked someone who had done something to share how they did it and let the community know how, and teach others how to design something. They didn't want to share as if it was some huge secret. I guess the only campaigns we'll be seeing are CMTs, exterminations and other H3/Reach Latino mods?

Sometimes I feel like the HCE community is all about secrecy and bragging for fame...

Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 11, 2018 at 12:27 PM

Pepzee

Posted: Oct 11, 2018 08:59 PM    Msg. 14 of 20       
I practically learned everything I know from Gamma927. Heck maybe I even owe part of my career to what he taught me (but don't tell him). There were other helpful folks such as MoooseGuy as well. But I also learned a lot myself by figuring things out through the game.

There is a wealth of knowledge buried in these forums that are not in tutorials sadly.
Edited by Pepzee on Oct 11, 2018 at 09:01 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Oct 11, 2018 10:32 PM    Msg. 15 of 20       
Sometimes I feel like the HCE community is all about secrecy and bragging for fame...

This is definitely a cult if you haven't already realized
I mean map protections were all the rage way back when

You can really have time fly by if you google search to bring up halomaps questions that others might have asked before

iir Flanker had some really good video tutorials on BSP modelling but can't seem to find them now...

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Oct 11, 2018 10:42 PM    Msg. 16 of 20       

The thing that sucks most is, Halo is my favourite to mod, followed by Fallout and GTA modding, as its also my favourite game.

I hate how I can find a wealth of knowledge and tutorials for the other games, sit down, mod, get satisfied with the results. Halo though, I have so many ambitions and failed projects, doing things blind, wasting days and getting nowhere.

The only thing I ever wanted to do was make campaign maps or edits to existing maps as demonstrated in CMT (are they the only ones who did that?) but the few who have done it, basically say "its classified" if you ask how they went about the process.

So I guess once the few people who know these things die out or move on, Halo modding will become virtually non-existent. I'm shocked, I thought showing your findings or revealing the process would not only help others but attract more ambitious people like myself to come along and keep Halo modding alive like the other modding communities. And obviously rather than a new modded mission or multiplayer map (that isn't a bloodgulch map) appearing once every few years, more massive CMT-like projects, more maps and hell, new tags would be popping up on a daily basis rather than century or decade basis from the same few people!

Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 11, 2018 at 10:47 PM

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Oct 12, 2018 08:49 PM    Msg. 17 of 20       
Mostly everything to know has already been shared. The only thing that isnt always shared is peoples workflow on specific things but those arent important and mostly will differ between people and come with experience. Start watching tutorials and searching. If you have any questions speak up and ask. Don't just say no one helps you.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Oct 13, 2018 10:54 AM    Msg. 18 of 20       
I never said nobody helps me. Just tutorial wise. Now that you mention it, in the past, when I first joined up here I was already given a very bad first impression. My request for help made people mad, and then when I asked again after my post got buried and remained unanswered, it made people even more mad than they already were. So back then, technically nobody did help. Now however I've seen that attitudes have changed around here and people are actually helpful.

Sadly, with the lack of tutorials, slabs of text can only get some people so far. I myself am a picture/video type of learner. Way easier to understand, less questions to be asked because its all there. There are only so many tutorials, I want to edit existing BSPS however the only map making tutorials I can find are how to make box maps. Which I've already done... 5 times... Don't ask...

Let's stop conversing. I think this might of been derailed slightly. Back on topic, new maps? Please, how about a new UUI ui.map! Or at least the assets and a few notes to update/make one ourselves
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 13, 2018 at 11:50 AM

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 01:53 AM    Msg. 19 of 20       
http://www.halocetutorials.tk/
There is video tutorials here. Pay attention for once smartass.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 02:06 AM    Msg. 20 of 20       
Thank you. That's the thing I was trying to get access to but wouldn't work. No I wasn't being smart, I felt like I derailed the thread so I went back to discussing the maps situation.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed December 12, 2018 9:52 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website