A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Building cache files on the Raspberry Pi (natively)

Author Topic: Building cache files on the Raspberry Pi (natively) (2 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Kavawuvi

Posted: Oct 5, 2018 03:39 PM    Msg. 1 of 2       
A while ago, I started on a project, Invader, which is intended to be a free and open source replacement for tool.exe's build-cache-file command - intended to be used on both Linux and Windows. Over time, I've made lots of progress, and last night, I decided to do something for fun: see if I can get Invader to work on a Raspberry Pi (specifically the Raspberry Pi Model B Revision 2). Surely enough, it does, and it does so without having to change any C++ code.

The only reason I did this was to see if it could be done and see how easy Invader is to run on other platforms (which it was pretty easy). I do not expect anyone to compile and run Invader on a Raspberry Pi, as this is extremely impractical due to the limited 700 MHz ARM CPU and slow I/O of an SD card. After all, if tutorial.map takes up to 12 seconds on a Pi (~560 ms on my PC with Invader or ~1 s with tool - both after running once to cache the tag files), then larger maps could take several minutes. In fact, maps over 300 MB could probably be even slower due to the limited 512 MB of RAM.
Edited by Kavawuvi on Oct 5, 2018 at 03:44 PM

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Oct 5, 2018 03:58 PM    Msg. 2 of 2       
That's some good stuff :)

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun October 21, 2018 3:53 PM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website