A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »New Modern Set of Tutorials From the Experienced?

Author Topic: New Modern Set of Tutorials From the Experienced? (4 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Some tutorials would be nice...

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 03:59 AM    Msg. 1 of 4       
Has this been done yet? If not, I've been thinking about how to keep this community alive well into the next generation and attract more possible future talents, when all the old folks start disappearing (no offence), I think it would be awesome if some of the 'successful experienced' modders could make some nice modern 1080P YouTube video tutorials on how to go about modding CE in general, the programs and their functions, info on every tag, how to use 3DS MAX and make a level from scratch, copy chunks from existing levels, texturing, rigging a biped or editing existing ones, tutorials that cover most if not all scripts in the game, UI related stuff, custom menus etc.

I mean, I've been trying but with the lack of information, and too many brick walls and fatal errors, modding this game has become more of a tedious, less enjoyable experience than I thought and I'm beginning to question why I bothered in the first place. Aside from that, there doesn't seem to be any new mods or projects happening now days and forum activity seems almost dead.

Thoughts? I'm kinda sad because I've wasted a questionable amount of time bouncing back and forward from multiple unfinished ambitious projects I started and can never finish a single one of them. I've tried my hardest doing things virtually blind and by doing so many experiments and learning as I went with very little info from a few posts on here and maybe 1 or 2 YouTube videos alone. There are just too many unknowns and very little info floating around out there...

If anyone is curious, these are my failed/incomplete projects-
1. A10 with combined D40 bsp mission extension
2. Armoured marine bipeds with marine hats, bandanas and hair
3. Halo 3/ODST, Reach weapon pack compatible with the CE HUD
4. A firefight map
5. A UI with almost 100 extra multiplayer maps
6. A modified UUI with new campaign and firefight maps
7. Extra lore friendly scenery tags

And a few other minor projects... All of them are either half done or stuffed literally on the final stage... I've completed nothing but a plasma shotgun... I've tried everything from my experiments and the info here and have failed everything else. Hence the plead for more detailed tutorials, or really tutorials in general. I think it's sad that I spent 5 years doing all this and only finished 1 custom weapon and nothing else...
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 10, 2018 at 07:51 AM

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 03:21 PM    Msg. 2 of 4       
Maybe this is something I could work on in the two months that I am legally not able to do my job.

Here is some stuff I have written up:
https://hek.wikia.com/wiki/Bitmap
https://hek.wikia.com/wiki/Sound

I made a spreadsheet with older and some newer tutorials:
http://www.halocetutorials.tk

Edit: 5 years though? I've been modding the game for that amount of time and I rarely touch tutorials. Haven't you ever tried to just fiddle with every little thing you see?
Edited by SBB_Michelle on Oct 10, 2018 at 03:24 PM

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Some tutorials would be nice...

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 08:53 PM    Msg. 3 of 4       
This is going to be a massive slab of text. You'd be surprised. I don't also have the time to mod 24/7, just maybe once or twice a week and rarely an entire week. When I was a kid I'd be playing Custom Edition at school and never got the HEK working. Fast forward to University, I was much smarter and could comprehend instructions so I finally got it working, just 5 years ago.

I started playing with scenery, weapon, biped, vehicle and later ai/encounter placements. Simple YouTube videos showed me how to do that and operate Sapien. I then started... Ripping tags and whole scenarios to learn the tag structure and replicate my own things with Guerilla. From there, I started collecting lore friendly tags, maps etc. and re-sorting them into the tag folder into more neater states like the base game tags. I also got all the ZTeam Halo 3 weapons back then and sorted them into a neater separate and working and less bloated weapons_h3 folder. All this was fun and felt like an OCD trip but I learnt so much along the way. Due to that I turned the plasma rifle and plasma pistols into SMGs and shotguns. I also learned how to texture, I re-textured the rocket warthog and changed some tags around to make it all green like the regular warthog, you almost cannot tell them apart unless you notice one has a rocket turret. I also re-textured the pelicans so that rather than having all of them with a E419 tag, I made every other pelican NOT E419 blank (except V933). I also fixed all the seats so all 10 were functional and that marines wouldn't bug out and lose their weapons in the last 2 seats as seen in game when they sit in the 2nd last seats up the back. I also fixed the jackal major so now he uses a normal yellow shield rather than another blue shield or someone's out of place high res mod.

After the tag boredom and vanilla edits, I wanted to make maps. Before I did, I took the old CMT SPV2/3 BSPs and added them to the vanilla scenarios and had them textured only with the base game textures, extending the campaign missions whilst using ONLY standard CE tags. That was probably the most fun time consuming thing I'd ever done. I later learned how to make doors and elevators function, trigger volumes, ai command functions, dropship animations (animations in general). I got bored and decided to follow 1 YouTube tutorial and FINALLY make 1 map just last year, a damn box. A friggen BOX! So then once I got confident enough with 3DS MAX I tried combining a few A10 and D40 bsps which you've read my posts before and know what happened with that... Persisted for 2 years, gave up. Could never solve the weird thick red bars around the door frame sections regardless of all the advice, videos and experiments. So I took a break from that and made a NEW crashed pelican scenery. I separated all the wings and engines and the body, plugged the holes and made them as fun halo 3 like crashed pelican scenery pieces. I also did it for the warthog. As I said, I like lore friendly mods in all my games and CE lacks so much so I made some myself.

I later wanted to make armoured marines without helmets and use the standard marine heads/hats. There was only ONE biped rigging video I could find and I followed it until the end. All I got was some unknown shader or texture related error nobody here had ever seen and it went unsolved so I just scrapped that too not knowing what the cause was and just breaking it more with all my experiments. I made a custom version of the base game UI adding a new menu button that lead to a new map selection list. Though, despite trying to blindly copy the UUI scripts, I could never get it to work. The only UI tutorials are for putting cameras around the map. I tinkered with every tag until one of the UUI guys just said, hey rip and look how we did it. Small bits of texts, no pictures, no videos. I once again spent a few weeks trying to comprehend the info, done more experiments and wasted my time.

I finally just learnt how to script a few months ago. Just last night I finally found that script bible thing and learnt EVEN MORE. Though I've ran into multiple issues I want answers for. One of my threads vanished so I feel like reposting it. Three of my issues-
I swear the bible never covered music. I got my music playing but I want it to obviously fade out after a while like all other music in the game. Ideas?
I tried scripting marines to run to a pelican and board it, problem is 1 or 2 of them stop moving and never get in with the others. So I just got them to spawn already seated inside. I don't know what the go is with that. Ideas?
For my firefight map, my ai don't spawn properly. Half will be in the seats of my pelicans/spirits but the rest spawn in on the ground and not in the seats. Ideas?

It's just these little things now that I just cannot figure out. I do wish though I could finish my maps and bipeds. Guess those dreams will never come true...

EDIT: Are you making that all by yourself? As awesome as you are for doing such a thing for this community and to aid people like myself and any new-comers who want to get into this kinda stuff, I find it really sad how nobody else would pitch in and help with this kind of thing. I think you showed me your guide in the past but I lost it and forgot all about it! The link isn't working for me :(
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 11, 2018 at 12:39 PM

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 01:58 AM    Msg. 4 of 4       
Quote: I swear the bible never covered music.

control+f : sound_looping

Quote: Are you making that all by yourself?

My partner is someone who's modded halo in the past and has to do technical writing for her job, she points out places for improvement and has written a lot of the stuff about sprites.

http://www.halocetutorials.tk/ == https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MK6ImBKO8te87dp406CWbq0xSg2uHTdxG_bKIGNF5Wk/edit

I can't really respond to more atm.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed December 12, 2018 9:53 PM 156 ms.
A Halo Maps Website