A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Any Stock Tags Lying Around?

Author Topic: Any Stock Tags Lying Around? (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Some tutorials would be nice...

Posted: Oct 14, 2018 09:42 AM    Msg. 1 of 10       
EDIT: Never mind: go here: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50899

Thanks SBB_Michelle.

As much as I like MosesofEgypt's refined tags pack and enhancements, I've found 3 issues...
1. The Death Island water shaders are doing some weird flickering
2. The b40 'fixed glass shaders' are indeed fixed HOWEVER they are also flickering
3. Although the Death Island map was altered, the new teleporters weren't placed

I'll just stick with the refreshed tag pack for now until those are fixed, at least issues 1 and 2, 3 can be fixed in Sapien manually.

Side note- Apart from those issues, having all enhancements and fixed tags, you cannot use tool and compile the UI scenario, though, you can still compile the other scenarios. My fear is, not being an OS user, any alterations may also cause the same issue as the UI not compiling- causing a size limit exceeded error.
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 14, 2018 at 11:17 AM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Oct 14, 2018 04:29 PM    Msg. 2 of 10       
You can compile the ui scenario in the base tagset we supply just fine. If you opened and saved the ui scenario in os guerilla, it won't compile in regular tool anymore.

Also, we were not and are not intending to update the pc exclusive maps to work with the tagset. If we were, we'd need to consider other things, like the new weapons and vehicles, which is not part of the goal of the refined project. So death island and others will continue to lack scenery replacements for the teleporter shields.

Additionally, the glass and water flickering is not a tagset issue, it's an issue with your computer's hardware(they are both water shaders by the way). Most of us have it appear just fine, but a select few have them flicker for some reason. The only difference is each person's hardware.

The tagset can be combined in whatever way you want to get whatever fixes you want. That's the entire reason it's in pieces. Pick what you want and use it, and be mindful of the order they need to be applied. If you don't want the teleporter shield replacement, go into the sotr fixes and remove the shader that nulls it out, then combine them together.

tl; dr those aren't tagset issues(or at least issues that we are going to fix).

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Oct 14, 2018 06:53 PM    Msg. 3 of 10       
Fair enough. The Sapien things can be done manually anyway no biggy.

As for the flickering, might be a graphics card thing...? I use a high end pc that runs more MASSIVE modern games like Fallout 4 and GTA V on their highest quality settings without the fans cracking a sweat. So Halo acting weird, is just weird.

You sure about the Tool thing? How to replicate the process: Place your clean refreshed tags in your C/D drive. Apply the UI widget fixes and the high definition hud enhancements. Then setup EVERY tag fix/alteration from your refined tags. Then when I, at least, compile a map, although it works, Tool complains about hundreds of larger than normal tags (mainly textures) but if you try the UI 'fart sound' too big to compile.

If these issues are just magical and they're just deciding to not work for me, instead of reinstalling, experimenting, corrupting and complaining, when you release the next update can it just be in the form of a tags folder so we can ensure nothing can possibly go wrong?

I noticed my thread looked like I was bashing your stuff, sorry I back spaced my original post about how I accidentally screwed my backup tags, including all the work I did with installing all your tags. But then I found a post leading to your refreshed tags so yeah, you saved my bacon once again, except I lost about 50 scenarios, 20 bipeds, multiple weapons+vehicles and all my scenery.

...Sometimes I dunno why I bother with this game...
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 14, 2018 at 06:56 PM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Oct 14, 2018 09:40 PM    Msg. 4 of 10       
It sounds like you dont have bitmaps.map, sounds.map, and loc.map included in your maps folder you're trying to build the ui in. If you don't, tool is going to try and put ALL the tags and their data in the ui, which wont fit. The ui.map has a much smaller max size than other maps.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 01:35 AM    Msg. 5 of 10       
Wow wow wow wow... Wow... Stop right there Mo. Did these tags require OS? Because I don't use it as of yet since it has no use for me. I only do vanilla edits and lore friendly mods.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 03:07 AM    Msg. 6 of 10       
No, they dont, and they never will. Those maps I named off are the ones that come in the custom edition maps folder by default. You need those maps to even run custom edition. You have to have them.

ALL VERSIONS OF TOOL look in those maps first before they add bitmaps and/or sounds to a map. If tool can find the bitmap/sound it's about to add, in the resource map, it wont add it, and will instead just reference the copy in the resource map. If you don't have them, you WILL bloat any map you have tool compile. I am not explaining this further, as it should be pretty obvious and I've explained enough.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 04:38 AM    Msg. 7 of 10       
Ok. No need to explain further. As I said, aside from 3DS MAX giving me trouble, I've been modding this game for a while now, and I have all the stock things so these issues? I dunno... I feel like you're saying I have no idea what I'm doing...

Stock maps, your tags+stock tags, fully installed 'bug' fixes followed according to your notepad. Tool doesn't lie that tags and textures are bigger than expected... So I don't think I'm screwing anything up...

Sorry Mo. Looking forward to what you're doing next with all your refined things.
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 15, 2018 at 04:40 AM

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 10:15 AM    Msg. 8 of 10       
Yeah, the bitmaps have to be bigger as tool checks bitmap size to see if it matches the resource map. And these are different, so we don't want to lose them on compile.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 02:47 PM    Msg. 9 of 10       
Tool doesn't lie.

I literally just took the base and refined tagsets you can download from our discord and did the following:

• Ran fixes\make_merged_tagset.py to auto-merge the numbered fixes into a "merged_refined_tagset" folder.

• Copied fixes\missing_multipurpose_fixes\32bit into "merged_refined_tagset"(replacing files)

• Copied enhancements\highres_rasterizer_bitmaps into "merged_refined_tagset"(replacing files)

• Copied enhancements\jesse's_high_resolution_halo_hud into "merged_refined_tagset"(replacing files)

• Copied enhancements\uncompressed_bitmaps into "merged_refined_tagset"(replacing files)

• Copied "merged_refined_tagset" over the base tagset

• Copied bitmaps.map, sounds.map, and loc.map out of the custom edition\maps folder into the maps folder of where I'll be building ui.map

• Ran tool "build-cache-file levels\ui\ui "

That's all. All the make_merged_tagset.py does by the way, is paste the numbered tagsets together in alphabetical order(overwriting tags), starting from lowest numbered to highest. 00 is copied, then 01, then 02, etc.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Oct 16, 2018 at 04:09 PM

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Oct 16, 2018 10:10 AM    Msg. 10 of 10       
Hang on... You've lost me with the copying map files... Did you add new map files within these packs or have I missed something about compiling scenarios whilst using existing maps...?

I'll do the same thing again and post a picture of what happens on my end. I'm so lost now. I mean you used the .py method whereas I did it manually so maybe that could be causing the tags are too big failed to create cache error for the ui?

I don't know if I should be crying or laughing about this, what the hell is happening? I mean this is no big deal really, just the whole, not being able to compile the UI map was just an OCD thing for me. But seeing as it works fine for you I am confused beyond hell.

I'm telling you, all my programs and all my tags magically act up compared to everyone else's here who use the exact same things. I'm cursed. 100% bet if I even used your tag folder that is currently working for you, it wont work on my computer. This is so WEIRD.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed November 21, 2018 9:59 AM 281 ms.
A Halo Maps Website