A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Air/Ground Unit Hybrid

Author Topic: Air/Ground Unit Hybrid (15 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Russian Poot Man

coming from sandvich land

Posted: Oct 21, 2018 07:53 PM    Msg. 1 of 15       
Has anyone done this before? Halo doesn't support characters that can fly and walk, its one or the other, so I made this. Its WIP but I think Halo can support this kind of thing fully with a little work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfXzzaK3HJs

The Gravemind

I Am The Monument To All Your Sins

Posted: Oct 21, 2018 09:30 PM    Msg. 2 of 15       
interesting I didn't know that was possible, great job.

Russian Poot Man

Posted: Oct 22, 2018 05:36 AM    Msg. 3 of 15       
Made an update. Now the bugger can land. He can switch back and forth whenever now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z3U9JS1eZo

Quote: --- Original message by: The Gravemind
interesting I didn't know that was possible, great job.

Thanks.
Edited by Russian Poot Man on Oct 22, 2018 at 05:36 AM

SOI_7

Tatsumaki best waifu

Posted: Oct 22, 2018 06:53 AM    Msg. 4 of 15       
This is really cool. Did you make this using actor_variant transformations?

P.S. And would you mind telling me where did you get those Bugger animations? The only ones I'm aware of are those from Lumoria
Edited by SOI_7 on Oct 22, 2018 at 06:53 AM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Oct 22, 2018 04:16 PM    Msg. 5 of 15       
Didn't Kirby already do this with some OS work?

Russian Poot Man

Posted: Oct 22, 2018 04:29 PM    Msg. 6 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: SOI_7

This is really cool. Did you make this using actor_variant transformations?

P.S. And would you mind telling me where did you get those Bugger animations? The only ones I'm aware of are those from Lumoria
Edited by SOI_7 on Oct 22, 2018 at 06:53 AM

I got the tags from thros's maps. I used default halo and split the bugger into two bipeds, one for the air and ground. I attach and detach them with my primitive scripts when necessary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lqrOvCajIs
This time I attach them differently, because they were having collision issues before, the tag has some issues, so my attach method now looks worse, but functions as intended. I just threw this together and it worked, it could be vastly improved.

This could look pretty much flawless if the bugger coll was fixed.

Edit: It would be ideal if we could find a way to make the ground bugger fall slower. It's not top priority for me, but it would look better. I want to get the ground bugger to move right, and it has trouble navigating. I feel like this tag could be improved.
Edited by Russian Poot Man on Oct 22, 2018 at 06:08 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Oct 22, 2018 11:20 PM    Msg. 7 of 15       
This is interesting, I don't think I've ever noticed that they were dichotomous.
It's pretty cool to see this work though

Spiral

I hope i'm out of the way

Posted: Oct 23, 2018 03:31 AM    Msg. 8 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper

Yeah that is what I remembered.
https://youtu.be/iJPHIMENmD4

From what I remember this isn't the latest progress Kirby made. I recall being shown drones that perched on walls and properly ran on the floor during combat when flight wasn't necessary.

Russian Poot Man, good job dude!
Glad to see others are still making interesting posts and works in progress regarding CE.

Edited by Spiral on Oct 23, 2018 at 03:32 AM

Russian Poot Man

Posted: Oct 23, 2018 11:41 PM    Msg. 9 of 15       
Made an update. I rewrote everything and made it support encounters instead of named objects.

Working on refining and getting the buggers to fly when its best for combat, and also when they want to. Also now their health isn't reset.

https://youtu.be/cZroRr3tdy0

Quote: --- Original message by: Spiral

Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper

Yeah that is what I remembered.
https://youtu.be/iJPHIMENmD4

From what I remember this isn't the latest progress Kirby made. I recall being shown drones that perched on walls and properly ran on the floor during combat when flight wasn't necessary.

Russian Poot Man, good job dude!
Glad to see others are still making interesting posts and works in progress regarding CE.

Edited by Spiral on Oct 23, 2018 at 03:32 AM

Thats cool, thanks for showing. Glad you're interested.

Edit: I've made some updates to this.
Edit2: The update.
https://youtu.be/93k0FrWLS3Q

(script startup spawn
(ai_place bug_ground)
(ai_place bug_fly)
(object_teleport (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)) bg1start)
)

(script continuous bug1fly
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects land_bugvol1 (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)))0))
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects land_playervol1 (players))0))
(sleep_until (!= (unit_get_health (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)))-1))
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects bugoffvol (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)))1))
(sleep_until (!= (ai_status bug_ground)1))
(ai_magically_see_players bug_fly)
(sleep 150)
(objects_attach (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)) "head" (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)) "head")
(objects_detach (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)) (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)))
(object_teleport (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)) bugoff)
(sleep 150)
)

(script continuous bug1ground
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects land_bugvol1 (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)))0))
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects land_playervol1 (players))0))
(sleep_until (!= (unit_get_health (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)))-1))
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects bugoffvol (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)))1))
(sleep_until (= (ai_status bug_fly)1))
(ai_magically_see_players bug_ground)
(sleep 150)
(objects_attach (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)) "head" (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)) "head")
(objects_detach (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)) (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)))
(object_teleport (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)) bugoff)
(sleep 150)
)

(script continuous bug1land1
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects land_bugvol1 (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)))1))
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects land_playervol1 (players))1))
(sleep_until (!= (unit_get_health (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)))-1))
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects bugoffvol (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)))1))
(sleep_until (!= (ai_status bug_fly)1))
(sleep 150)
(objects_attach (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)) "head" (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)) "head")
(objects_detach (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)) (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)))
(object_teleport (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)) bugoff)
(sleep 150)
)

Now it looks nearly flawless, and the bugger can somewhat land in combat.

Still working on making the bugger land in combat when necessary everywhere, not just rooms. I can make him wait before deciding to fly when in combat, make him decide what to do based on player location, with bigger trigger volumes.

Edit3: I got him to switch during combat. It also looks way better now. Uploading vid.
https://youtu.be/C2A77bIQ_Nk

I found a way of overriding the behavior and giving the AI more of a preference. For example: If the player is in a hard to reach area from above, the bugger may decide to land and go after you on foot. Working on implementing this for the next vid.
Edited by Russian Poot Man on Oct 24, 2018 at 05:00 AM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Oct 24, 2018 08:08 AM    Msg. 10 of 15       
Bumped for interesting content

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Oct 24, 2018 09:18 AM    Msg. 11 of 15       
This is all really cool, really nice to see someone smart and intelligent show up with new creative methods of doing things.

I would suggest though trying to cut down on some of the conditions to making them switch. You could probably do something a bit more dynamic that requires less setup by tieing it to some ai status conditions. I'd also enable the can walk on walls flag for the ground unit. If you can get these guys to switch while they are moving left and right in the air, the momentum might be able to let them "throw" themselves onto surfaces. I think you'd have to abandon attaching the object and instead have to enter them into the seat of the flying unit, as the unit should maintain it's momentum then.
Edited by Masters1337 on Oct 24, 2018 at 09:21 AM

Russian Poot Man

Posted: Oct 24, 2018 06:18 PM    Msg. 12 of 15       
Thanks, glad people are showing interest. I made an update, but the scripts are getting too long and need to be rewritten again. This is what I meant by the override, the buggers will always want to fly after a second or two in combat, but when both the player and bugger are in the their detect volumes, the bugger might decide to land. He can also choose to fly again. Need to work out some kinks, but some kinks might become a feature.

Edit: The bugger being able to choose flight inside the area its meant to land could actually be helpful in some cases, the bugger could unstick himself or fly to place closer to where he should be. With some adjustments and parameters, this could iron out quite nicely.

I tried making them walk on every surface, but it ended up looking terrible, I think this is a tag issue. I'd like the buggers to walk on walls too. I tried that again when I was filming the vid, but it still didn't really work, but it did help them get over those warthogs. I could try to get that flinging to surface idea working.

I also fixed a collision bug in the flying bugger.

https://youtu.be/dJn4OdFctKY

Edited by Russian Poot Man on Oct 24, 2018 at 07:58 PM

SOI_7

Tatsumaki best waifu

Posted: Oct 25, 2018 02:47 PM    Msg. 13 of 15       
Sadly bipeds refuse to walk on walls if they're too big or non-spherical, we had this issue with our Jackal Forms in SPv3 and we had to remove this ability. You could, however, make them stick on strategic walls. And you should definitely switch to the actor_variant transformation system, it could help you save scripts slots.

Russian Poot Man

Posted: Oct 25, 2018 04:34 PM    Msg. 14 of 15       
Sadly bipeds refuse to walk on walls if they're too big or non-spherical, we had this issue with our Jackal Forms in SPv3 and we had to remove this ability. You could, however, make them stick on strategic walls. And you should definitely switch to the actor_variant transformation system, it could help you save scripts slots.

I've been thinking about upgrading to opensauce. Does the actor_variant transformation system transfer health and shield status? I stopped using object_destroy and started teleporting them, so at least their health wouldn't reset. I could switch back and that would save me scripting time and effort to organize it all.

SOI_7

Tatsumaki best waifu

Posted: Oct 25, 2018 05:31 PM    Msg. 15 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: Russian Poot Man

I've been thinking about upgrading to opensauce. Does the actor_variant transformation system transfer health and shield status? I stopped using object_destroy and started teleporting them, so at least their health wouldn't reset. I could switch back and that would save me scripting time and effort to organize it all.

Yes, you can transfer health, shield and even the original encounter. The system is quite versatile

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed November 21, 2018 9:59 AM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website