A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »OBJ to JMS converter

Author Topic: OBJ to JMS converter (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

MrCool

Keep it clean

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 05:38 PM    Msg. 1 of 10       
Is there one? Or at least a converter for JMS. I use blender and GMax is stupid to try and play around with. I really don't want to fool with a student license for 3ds if I don't have to. I think I may have already done a student license anyway, but no matter. Just need to know if there is some other option for this. Thanks!

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 06:40 PM    Msg. 2 of 10       
Mozzarilla has a model compiler. It can load jms/obj files and optimize them on load. From there you can tell it to either compile a gbxmodel, or spit the models back out as jms files. Be warned though, some shader symbols don't work in obj files, so you might need to open the jms files in notepad and add them back.

You can get Mozzarilla in the MEK or MEKE. Hth

The Gravemind

I Am The Monument To All Your Sins

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 07:33 PM    Msg. 3 of 10       
Wait what... that is amazing wish I knew that earlier.

MrCool

Keep it clean

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 08:18 PM    Msg. 4 of 10       
I see you promoting ya stuff out here Moses ;) I already hopped on that Mozzarilla though. Good stuff m8. And I had no idea it went thru Mozzarilla man, why not put it thru Pool? Anyway, awesome to hear from you, I respect your work. Kudos and thanks!

Edit: Been trying to use Mozzarilla, but I don't see it in the tools list and I can't open it from the tags directory. Is there something I am missing and/or is there some sort of tutorial?
Edited by MrCool on Nov 5, 2018 at 08:35 PM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 08:44 PM    Msg. 5 of 10       
It's in the "compile tag" menu of mozz in version 1.3.6 and higher.

It's not through pool because it's a compiler I wrote myself. Mozz can compile models, bitmaps, strings, hud_message_text, and physics. It cannot compile sounds, animations, collision, or bsps.

MrCool

Keep it clean

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 08:55 PM    Msg. 6 of 10       
Moses, you are the man. Sweet Lord. I hope you get/have a dang good job doing all this stuff. And you have been very helpful to me. Thank you, sir.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 09:00 PM    Msg. 7 of 10       
Also, I recommend you disable optimization for bsps if the compiled bsp doesn't turn out right(apparently tool doesn't like optimized portal geometry).

MrCool

Keep it clean

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 10:43 PM    Msg. 8 of 10       
Hey real quick, I've got some errors on it. Thought you might like to know in case something may need working out.
{
Locating jms files...
Loading jms files...
MA45.obj
Smoothing groups not supported! Export with vertex normals.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python35\lib\site-packages\mozzarilla\tools\model_compiler_window.py", line 656, in _load_models
File "C:\Python35\lib\site-packages\reclaimer\model\obj.py", line 67, in jms_model_from_obj
ValueError: Quads are not supported.

Could not parse jms file.
No valid jms files found.
}

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 10:47 PM    Msg. 9 of 10       
The error says what you need to know. Export the model with vertex normals, not smoothing groups. Also export it as triangles. Quads and ngons are not supported.

MrCool

Keep it clean

Posted: Nov 5, 2018 10:58 PM    Msg. 10 of 10       
That was it! Somehow passed over the ngon reference. Thanks again, you're the man.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed November 21, 2018 9:56 AM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website