A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Is there a way to make 2D scenery that always faces you?

Author Topic: Is there a way to make 2D scenery that always faces you? (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Scorpwanna

Posted: Nov 12, 2018 10:04 PM    Msg. 1 of 8       
I'm making Doom E1 M1 (Hangar) map for multiplayer and I'd like to have some classic doom scenery. For those who don't know, it's basically a texture that always faces the player (faking a 3D effect, more like a 2.5D). I've tried using a particle effect with not so good results. Any ideas or if it's even possible?

Kinnet

Never lucky :c

Posted: Nov 13, 2018 12:18 AM    Msg. 2 of 8       

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Nov 13, 2018 04:34 AM    Msg. 3 of 8       
See if there's a checkbox for two-sided or something in .scenery
Not entirely sure but I recall seeing something like that somewhere in Guerilla

DeadHamster

Posted: Nov 30, 2018 04:06 PM    Msg. 4 of 8       
Detail Object Collections do exactly this.

Scorpwanna

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 07:49 PM    Msg. 5 of 8       
I looked up the tutorial for detail_objects and when I try in sapien nothing shows up.

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Dec 13, 2018 10:03 PM    Msg. 6 of 8       
all you'll see in Sapien will be little lines protruding from the ground if done correctly. I know, it's dumb.

Scorpwanna

Posted: Dec 14, 2018 01:17 AM    Msg. 7 of 8       
Sweet! Someone replied to the thread and now I can reply again. I don't know where the "Edit" function is for a previous post that it mentions, and it won't allow me to post under myself.

Anyway, yeah I found out that I had to save the bsp in sapien so that it would show the detail_object_collection. One of the problems with them that I've noticed is that they tend to bleed into one another. I can sit one in a spot and then one in another, if getting behind one of them and facing the other, it will show the other through it. But, for one of them, they appear ok. It's really weird. Here's some example images:

From barrel 2 to barrel 1 (the bleeding)

From barrel 1 to barrel 2 (seems ok)

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Yesterday @ 01:25 PM    Msg. 8 of 8       
You can't really fix that, they just render in the order they are stored in the BSP.

Previous Older Thread   

Time: Sun December 16, 2018 1:50 PM 171 ms.
A Halo Maps Website