A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »I'm bored, any ideas on what I should practice doing?

Author Topic: I'm bored, any ideas on what I should practice doing? (23 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Some tutorials would be nice...

Posted: Nov 17, 2018 07:25 AM    Msg. 1 of 23       
So I've made a box map. I've made tag collections. I've fixed bugs. Made a half ass unfinished firefight map. Made a quarter of a script. Made an unfinished menu. Failed to complete a custom marine biped. Made a few texture edits. Played EVERY single player/firefight mod in existence.

I'm bored. Any fun tasks I should undertake? Preferably one that I can actually finish that is noob friendly. I've got the basics down for the most part anyway. I'm just bored and looking for advice.

Ideas?

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Nov 17, 2018 07:53 AM    Msg. 2 of 23       
Have you ever tried making custom animations
First person ones are a great place to start

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Nov 17, 2018 10:04 PM    Msg. 3 of 23       
Jesus... 3DS MAX wise, I can only make scenery and basic box maps. Honestly, I think 3DS MAX projects are out of my league for now.

I couldn't get an edited marine and BSP out of 3DS MAX, so having to animate an object? Wouldn't that be an absolute disaster?

I mean it sounds like fun and I always thought of making 1st person animations for all the bipeds so we could truly play as any character. Now saying this I just realised that we already have elite, flood and marine arms...

I appreciate the suggestions though.

Spartan314

Posted: Nov 17, 2018 10:41 PM    Msg. 4 of 23       
If you're completely green to Halo CE starting off with editing a biped model would be pretty advanced imo
Even just importing a box model to replace the AR would be good to see how the guerilla structures are set up.
Watching tutorials on youtube are how I got into the whole FP weapon thing

Nickster5000

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 12:45 AM    Msg. 5 of 23       
>what should I practice / learn?

someone gives him a good suggestion

>oh no, no! that's out of my league

Then why ask for ideas? Focus on what interests you.

The Gravemind

I Am The Monument To All Your Sins

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 01:08 AM    Msg. 6 of 23       
I recommend doing animations last cause it ain't easy especially those freaking overlays or maybe I just suck at it.

oh and congrats on your first map I am terrified to try and make one.
Edited by The Gravemind on Nov 18, 2018 at 01:11 AM

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 04:14 AM    Msg. 7 of 23       
Spartan- I'm green with 3DS MAX in all honesty. Just a piece of scenery and a box map is all I've ever done.
Nickster- You're making me feel like a dick now. Maybe anything but 3DS MAX... For now...
Gravemind- Nothing special it was just a box, literally.

Basically with 3DS MAX I did a map, a few scenery objects and that's it. When I try to do bipeds (I assume it will also happen with the rigging of animations) the model gets degraded in Halo for some reason (honestly it looks like it rips from Halo a little off than what it should look like) and other weird things happen. When it comes to maps, I'm too burnt out with that. I thought I'd start small with a simple BSP edit but failed epically. I just wanted a little 3DS MAX hiatus for now as for the last 2 years I've been focusing on that. Otherwise, UI, scripts, minor texture work and sapien stuff is what I've been thinking about doing in the mean time.

Problem is, as I've cried about before, not only are the tutorials difficult to find (or if you're lucky cover what you want to know) I'm left with more questions and issues afterwards rather than results. With the scripting for example I cannot find out how to do conditions example: Get music to stop playing at a certain trigger point, objective or killing off an encounter. OR spawning an encounter AFTER killing another encounter.

The scripts I know as of right now:
Fade in
Chapter title
Objective pop up text (left side of screen text that pops up telling you to do something)
Spawn/Destroy vehicles, encounters etc.
Spawn encounters in seats (THIS is buggy half the time some AI don't spawn in seats I set)
Trigger music
Trigger volumes
Start another mission (I experimented and did a trigger volume to kill the player, restart the mission and load into another campaign mission)

Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Nov 18, 2018 at 04:20 AM

The Gravemind

I Am The Monument To All Your Sins

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 03:55 PM    Msg. 8 of 23       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halo CE Noob Modder117

With the scripting for example I cannot find out how to do conditions example: Get music to stop playing at a certain trigger point, objective or killing off an encounter. OR spawning an encounter AFTER killing another encounter.

The scripts I know as of right now:
Fade in
Chapter title
Objective pop up text (left side of screen text that pops up telling you to do something)
Spawn/Destroy vehicles, encounters etc.
Spawn encounters in seats (THIS is buggy half the time some AI don't spawn in seats I set)
Trigger music
Trigger volumes
Start another mission (I experimented and did a trigger volume to kill the player, restart the mission and load into another campaign mission)

Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Nov 18, 2018 at 04:20 AM

(sound_looping_start levels\a10\music\a10_01 none 1.00) starts music

(sound_looping_stop levels\a10\music\a10_01) ends music

and there is so many ai scripts I can't remember them.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2809 has most or all scripts

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5938 all ai scripts
Edited by The Gravemind on Nov 18, 2018 at 03:57 PM

Spartan314

Posted: Nov 19, 2018 06:36 AM    Msg. 9 of 23       
If you think you've got it bad now just think how much fiddling around the people 10 years ago had to do.
If you're green with 3DSMax then great you've identified an area that you're open to improvement.
Go for it

Or as Nick said just do whatever it is interests you
There's no school for this stuff

Kal_El

Posted: Nov 20, 2018 09:32 AM    Msg. 10 of 23       

Edited by Kal_El on Nov 20, 2018 at 09:32 AM

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 06:23 PM    Msg. 11 of 23       
Animation isn't too difficult, fundamentally. Just moving around frame gun and maybe the hand a little bit. Start off by copying some simple animations from whatever game you like the most. I love Halo 3 so a lot of my earlier animations (and subsequent style) were copies or heavily influenced.

Try following along with t3h lag, who has a 2 hour tutorial of an entire animation set for a battle rifle. Even includes the source files themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTOv4O6ZlRo
Edited by ODX on Nov 21, 2018 at 06:28 PM

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 08:52 PM    Msg. 12 of 23       
Oh hey aren't you the guy who did those Halo 3 weapons in the ZTeam pack?

Anyway. Does making animations require a working model? As I said I'd love to try it out and make first person grunt arms (this isn't already a thing right?) but every time I touch 3DS MAX it becomes a disaster. Unless its a box map...

When I'm done with my script experiments, I guess I'll watch and follow through. Imagine because I'm cursed, even the source files will get destroyed when I open them. Well I estimate that this would take me 2 years so I guess you wont be reading anything from me for a while...

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 01:07 PM    Msg. 13 of 23       
Oh hey aren't you the guy who did those Halo 3 weapons in the ZTeam pack?
Hmm, I don't think so. I mainly animated stuff for CMT SPv3 but some of my other animations have probably been tossed around.

Anyway. Does making animations require a working model? As I said I'd love to try it out and make first person grunt arms (this isn't already a thing right?) but every time I touch 3DS MAX it becomes a disaster. Unless its a box map...
If you want to import it, then yeah you'll need a compiled .gbxmodel. Otherwise you can just rig any object you want and animate with it. Really as long as it has frame gun then you can technically import the animations, even if the model you use isn't the very same .gbxmodel. Not sure if someone made grunt arms. Maybe? I don't imagine they'd be the easiest to animate with seeing as it's basically a stump lol

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 07:11 PM    Msg. 14 of 23       
I know seems odd but, I always get these ambitious ideas and never follow through with them as they all fail. But now this has given me an idea explosion...

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 07:24 PM    Msg. 15 of 23       
Ok make a box bsp.

It's been done before I know but here is the kicker.

Add a sphere.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 10:17 PM    Msg. 16 of 23       
I see... Apply new shapes and learn how to make it not have red triangles until I can do all types of geometry? Interesting...

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 12:03 AM    Msg. 17 of 23       
go learn fp animation, the community could really use a person proficient in them again.

xnx

h2 marine anims or i detonate the vest

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 01:03 AM    Msg. 18 of 23       
TRUMP 2020 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

2 SCOOPS 2 GENDERS 2 WOMPS 2 TERMS

YOU HAVE TO GO BACK

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 01:52 AM    Msg. 19 of 23       
Well my goal will be to get a variety of arms for a variety of first person characters we DON'T ALREADY have. We have flood, marine and elite arms. What exactly don't we have yet?

Oh, aside from animations with 3D modelling, I've also started spewing out static scenery objects and got the scripting going too so I can do this stuff too if animating becomes a problem.

Thanks though guys, I've just got so much spare time on my hands for the next 3 months and I'm starting to make break-throughs with a few things and the learning experience is actually quite fun and VERY satisfying once you see it working in-game.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Nov 29, 2018 08:28 PM    Msg. 20 of 23       
Hi thros good to see you again. Nice to see you've returned in the 'happiest' of moods...

F.Y.I- Rather than reading to see if your friend Masterz is posting here, why not actually try to read my post, NOBODY IS TELLING ME TO DO ANYTHING. I asked, and they've provided suggestions. I've made a list of EVERYONE'S suggestions and I will be trying them all out.

And if I've miss read your post, my bad but, are you taking a shot at me calling me trash? Buddy, just because I don't 'release' any mods doesn't mean I don't know how to mod. I've helped others, made some scripts, done some maps, vanilla alterations and a bunch of custom LORE FRIENDLY scenery tags. I don't think my work is of any use to anyone nor would anyone be interested in it.

Be grateful Dennis allows morons like yourself to keep making alternate accounts here after being banned just so you can abuse others. Go make a mod and quit making this joint so toxic.

And knowing you, you may suggest to me to make a kiss my ass mod, well I don't discriminate, I list everyone's suggestions, the troll one you'd give me though, might be right at the bottom of the pile so thanks for your suggestions.
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Nov 29, 2018 at 08:36 PM

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Nov 30, 2018 01:46 PM    Msg. 21 of 23       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
go learn fp animation, the community could really use a person proficient in them again.
Hey wait what about me, aren't I good at ani- oh right wait lol, I don't really do anything anymore.

Spartan314

Posted: Dec 1, 2018 03:29 AM    Msg. 22 of 23       
notice me odx senpai

Bingos

Posted: Dec 2, 2018 11:00 AM    Msg. 23 of 23       
This infomation a useful

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon December 17, 2018 6:09 AM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website