A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Air/Ground Player Hybrid

Author Topic: Air/Ground Player Hybrid (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

JadeMcLain

Posted: Nov 19, 2018 05:52 AM    Msg. 1 of 6       
I've been wanting to get this working, and also working online. This is my progress. Right now my issue is new players joining and throwing off the player number. Unloading the biped is a temporary fix. This syncs between all clients.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83QJgosWz6E
Edited by JadeMcLain on Nov 29, 2018 at 01:34 AM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Nov 19, 2018 06:38 AM    Msg. 2 of 6       
Don't think I've ever seen something like this
This is cool
Nice that you got it syncing across all clients

JadeMcLain

Posted: Nov 20, 2018 05:34 PM    Msg. 3 of 6       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Don't think I've ever seen something like this
This is cool
Nice that you got it syncing across all clients

Thanks. This is prone to breaking because the player index is always changing, if I could find a way to give the player a static identifier, this could very much work. I tried assigning the player to a blank encounter and using (unit (list_get (ai_actors blank0) 0)), but that only works for players already joined.

Edit: I have a way around this issue now, and I have a test map that supports up to four players, the rest are not scripted yet.

Flashlight turns on flying mode, action button leaves flying mode. This doesn't work correctly on dedicated servers yet.

The script runs on both the server and client, allowing clients to have movement that would match what a host would see. It uses a drone biped set up for flying with the drone animations set up for flight, it has a seat for the player to enter. Scripts load and unload the player from this biped on both the client and server when the flashlight is on. When the player index is updated, all players are kicked out of flying mode. So when someone dies or joins/leaves a game, you are kicked out of flying mode but can re-enter right after.

The client may experience some offset players that are in flight mode because the client has different calculations compared to the host. I'm looking into ways of fixing this.

The issue with dedicated servers is that I cant exit the bugger biped for some reason. The server just wont let me and I'm trying to figure this out.

Any help or ideas to improve this would be greatly appreciated.
Edited by JadeMcLain on Nov 30, 2018 at 07:36 AM

Kal_El

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 05:17 PM    Msg. 4 of 6       
bad link?

JadeMcLain

Posted: Nov 30, 2018 07:35 AM    Msg. 5 of 6       
This small update should function and play better. Still working on this.

Edit: I fixed some issues and found a new way for this to work on dedicated servers. Will be updating post soon.

Edit2: The update. Supports up to 4 players and works on dedicated servers now. To exit flying mode now, you must press the flashlight again.

Credit to Altheros for porting the only characters in the Halo franchise that can switch between air and ground combat.

Edit: update and now supports 8 players concealed_flytest8

https://mega.nz/#!5f5TySBS!oJ0DOZikdXccUgd7-rbc5lutRWN68jWXGN7w11ZggVQ

one issue now is that throwing grenades in flying mode while on a dedicated server breaks your character until you rejoin
Edited by JadeMcLain on Nov 30, 2018 at 07:34 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Dec 1, 2018 03:30 AM    Msg. 6 of 6       
bumped for cool content

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon December 17, 2018 6:09 AM 156 ms.
A Halo Maps Website