A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Help with 3dsmax...again

Author Topic: Help with 3dsmax...again (13 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Sargent 0

I don't even how this got profile pic got approved

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 10:24 PM    Msg. 1 of 13       
So I removed the halo 2 anniversary elite helmet and I see the elites actual head can be rendered.

1st I want to render its textures through 3dsmax but I don't know how. Just to point out the h2a elite has 4 regions(head, arms, legs, torso) and it has 2 diffuse bitmaps(h2a_armor which has all armor obviously and h2a_suit_hex which contains the elites black undersuit, its eyes, its teeth and its skin)

2nd for some reason I can't get tool to make a gbxmodel tag. I exported the model using jms exporter script and I placed the model in the data folder. its not giving me any error it just keeps on giving me input command lines like this

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>os_tool model characters\h2_elite\h2_elite_no_helmet

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>os_tool model characters\h2a_elite\h2a_elite_no_helmet

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>os_tool model characters\h2a_elite

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>os_tool model characters\h2a_elite\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>tool model characters\h2a_elite
Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 07:03 AM    Msg. 2 of 13       
Put the models together in
data\characters\h2a_elite\models\

and do
os_tool model characters\h2a_elite

Sargent 0

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 06:52 PM    Msg. 3 of 13       
DYI im using jms exporter 1-0-3.

### h2a_elite_no_helmet.jms
### ERROR there must be at least one region.
### ERROR failed to import geometry 'h2a_elite_no_helmet.jms'.

When exporting from 3dsmax, I select everything and I hit export, which gives me warning: there was no geometry to export.

can you also answer my first question: how to I add the material to mesh. Explain in context of my problem.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Some tutorials would be nice...

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 07:26 PM    Msg. 4 of 13       
For the issue: there was no geometry to export-
>> Go to the 'Create' tab (top right corner- yellow sun/star icon) and Create a random box shape just to the side of your objects and name it: "frame" (without quotation marks) and link your objects to it. To link objects, click the chain icon (top left corner) and select an object and click and drag the cursor to the box shape you created (the frame) OR select EVERYTHING in your scene EXCEPT your frame and then press the chain icon, put your cursor over any of the selected objects and click and drag the cursor over the frame to link everything at once. To see if it worked, click the 'Select by Name' button which is the one next to the object select button and see if it has +frame and nothing else on the list. If it displays that, you've linked it for exporting.

As for the materials, my method is a little off as I sometimes believe I'm doing it incorrectly when importing models. If nobody with more experience gives you a tutorial I will post my method of doing it, it works with the things I've put in game so it must be correct. Just don't want to risk ruining your work.
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Nov 27, 2018 at 07:34 PM

Sargent 0

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 09:21 PM    Msg. 5 of 13       
Thatís why I make backups for my model so I donít screw anything up. You mind telling me how you add materials?
Edited by Sargent 0 on Nov 27, 2018 at 09:22 PM

The Gravemind

I Am The Monument To All Your Sins

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 10:40 PM    Msg. 6 of 13       
NO DO NOT USE A FRAME BOX I spent hours in rage because of this. All imported models should have something like frame pelvis or bip01 pelvis. Link everything including the geometry you want to it. To properly import materials uncheck Attach Parts of Mesh Within Region in the model geometry options located on the bottom right.
https://imgur.com/JaGc4IE
You will have the manually rename the geometry however, you can just import the normal model in a different scene to view their names. Regions are not 100% necessary unless you want removable limbs like the flood however they are easy to make.

Edited by The Gravemind on Nov 27, 2018 at 10:46 PM
Edited by The Gravemind on Nov 27, 2018 at 10:48 PM

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 01:47 AM    Msg. 7 of 13       
Yeah my bad I forgot we were talking about a biped here... You told me the same thing when I asked a while ago... Whoops...

Before we even begin with the texturing thing, I assume sarge you know about the tif files in the data folder? You just solely need to know about how to use 3DS MAX right?

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Nov 28, 2018 08:51 PM    Msg. 8 of 13       
If your biped is actually skinned in 3dsmax just link all the biped GEOMETRY to the pelvis frame / bip01

Sargent 0

Posted: Nov 29, 2018 10:38 PM    Msg. 9 of 13       
1. Opened a new h2a elite model without regions
2. Opened multimaterial and referenced their bitmaps to their corresponding file in diffuse.(elite skin sub material has elite_suit_hex tif, which contains the elites skin)
3. Converted all geometry to editable poly or mesh.
4. Gone through each geometry selection(elite_suit, elite_armor primary, etc) and gave it material ID value for its corresponding material(elite eye mesh>given is for elite eye material)
5.selected all geometry in elements
6. I drag and drop the multi material on the model and nothing happens yet to select the entire model in element.It still doesn't render the texture. What do I do

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Nov 30, 2018 05:01 AM    Msg. 10 of 13       
Did you press the little 'Show Shaded Material in Viewport' button in the material editor window?

Sargent 0

Posted: Nov 30, 2018 07:45 AM    Msg. 11 of 13       
Oops, :p works now.

Well, thank you all for this very valuable information. I guarantee that by the weekend, I'll have some awesome stuff to show you guys.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Nov 30, 2018 11:15 AM    Msg. 12 of 13       
Damn I'm beyond jealous and butt hurt now...

Sargent 0

Posted: Dec 1, 2018 01:35 AM    Msg. 13 of 13       
Holy crap. I did not realize how hards h2a elites are to work with when modifying the mesh.

EDIT: I don't have any problems its just that the h2a elite has such a unique design I have to consistently work around
Edited by Sargent 0 on Dec 1, 2018 at 01:36 AM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon December 17, 2018 6:09 AM 296 ms.
A Halo Maps Website