A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »3DS MAX or Tool is super mega ultra FUDGED!

Author Topic: 3DS MAX or Tool is super mega ultra FUDGED! (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Some tutorials would be nice...

Posted: Nov 30, 2018 11:21 AM    Msg. 1 of 7       
Ok guys, seriously now. I've made like a dozen scenery items over the past week and a bit (alongside my scripts, thanks for the help again guys). So, red triangles...

Why in the hell, you fix one triangle, JUST 1, TOOL SAYS THERE IS 1 BAD TRIANGLE and after you fix it and use Tool again... TOOL CRAPS OUT ANOTHER 50 TRIANGLES!!! What is the go? How does fixing 1 triangle cause Tool to later say another 200 magically appeared? Da Farq is going on?!

I fixed 1 hole. JUST 1 HOLE was the only issue, used Tool for the 2nd time and now random red lines have appeared all over the mesh. Have I missed something? I weld and tessellate whenever these issues occur but just this ONE model I'm trying to do refuses to work.

I swear to god 3DS MAX boils my blood more than a damn volcano brews before bursting out that hot lava...

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Nov 30, 2018 12:46 PM    Msg. 2 of 7       
Haha, you're tessellating your model trying to fix it? Tessellating will not solve your problems, it'll make 50 times more!

DeadHamster

Posted: Nov 30, 2018 04:12 PM    Msg. 3 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halo CE Noob Modder117
Ok guys, seriously now. I've made like a dozen scenery items over the past week and a bit (alongside my scripts, thanks for the help again guys). So, red triangles...

Why in the hell, you fix one triangle, JUST 1, TOOL SAYS THERE IS 1 BAD TRIANGLE and after you fix it and use Tool again... TOOL CRAPS OUT ANOTHER 50 TRIANGLES!!! What is the go? How does fixing 1 triangle cause Tool to later say another 200 magically appeared? Da Farq is going on?!

I fixed 1 hole. JUST 1 HOLE was the only issue, used Tool for the 2nd time and now random red lines have appeared all over the mesh. Have I missed something? I weld and tessellate whenever these issues occur but just this ONE model I'm trying to do refuses to work.

I swear to god 3DS MAX boils my blood more than a damn volcano brews before bursting out that hot lava...

You shouldn't be tessellating anything really except for in early stages. It adds a lot of weird geometry if anything is at angles. If you don't know how to redraw it and what to look for you get screwed a lot by coplanar issues and flat faces.

The reason, also, is because Tool stops running as soon as it can no longer compile your model. It then gives you an error message and some details (the .WRL) to help you debug. Which is pretty huge, honestly. Otherwise you'd be legitimately screwed.

So if there are 100 errors, it can't find the other 99. It ran into an issue and stopped at the first one. The other 99 were always there.

But yeah, the issue is sloppy modelling. Halo does not allow sloppy modelling, and welding and tessellating are two of the sloppiest methods.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Dec 1, 2018 12:10 AM    Msg. 4 of 7       
But other threads suggest to cap, weld etc. So far its been working fine for me.

Proof to show that Tool is weird and buggy. I imported the warthog base and got it back into Halo with NO problems. A day later, I wanted to do an edit but had to import it again and repeat what I did as I forgot to save a scene. Now all of a sudden Tool isn't happy. Like WTF Tool you just made it yesterday and now today you feel like complaining? I'm telling you something is terribly wrong with this crap.

I capped the holes, the SAME holes as I did yesterday and now today Tool is complaining about them when in 3DS MAX there are virtually no holes where the caps are, and, well, it was friggen happy yesterday! Tool must have a mind of its own...

These programs are buggy as hell I'm telling ya!

EDIT: Again, I just sealed my last hole and now Tool is outlining all the previous holes I just sealed. FFS I'm going to put a hole in something. You know what pissed me off? When you FINALLY get something into the game 100% working but then need to make an edit to the model and then you CANNOT GET IT BACK like it just mysteriously craps itself. I'm so pissed right now. My best damn model is now irretrievable even though I just put it into the game yesterday. W.T.F!?!!??!?!!?!??! ######$@$@$@@$$@%%@%@%@$@#@@

EDIT: Now I exported it again with NO changes and used Tool again and now there are only 2 red lines and not 12. See something in the export or Tool is definitely being demented.
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Dec 1, 2018 at 12:30 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Dec 1, 2018 12:20 AM    Msg. 5 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halo CE Noob Modder117

But other threads suggest to cap, weld etc. So far its been working fine for me.

Proof to show that Tool is weird and buggy. I imported the warthog base and got it back into Halo with NO problems. A day later, I wanted to do an edit but had to import it again and repeat what I did as I forgot to save a scene. Now all of a sudden Tool isn't happy. Like WTF Tool you just made it yesterday and now today you feel like complaining? I'm telling you something is terribly wrong with this crap.

I capped the holes, the SAME holes as I did yesterday and now today Tool is complaining about them when in 3DS MAX there are virtually no holes where the caps are, and, well, it was friggen happy yesterday! Tool must have a mind of its own...

These programs are buggy as hell I'm telling ya!
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Dec 1, 2018 at 12:11 AM

Tool doesn't check for collision when making render models. What are you doing and why are you doing it so wrong? :)

BTW, when you post about an issue if you want actual help the "tool is buggy" parts of your post are useless because No tool is not buggy you're doing it wrong. I don't mean that to be so harsh, but Tool does exactly what it's supposed to. What is useful is copy/pastes of the error messages you get and specific explanations of what you were doing. Including the tool commands as you typed them out.

And before we go any further, you must always run every program as an administrator at all times regardless of what anybody told you. Even tool, right click it and go to it's properties. That's not going to fix your problem, your problem is that you're doing something wrong. But it will rule out any possible issue outside of you doing it wrong.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Dec 1, 2018 12:32 AM    Msg. 6 of 7       
Hamster, I'm literally capping and re-capping the same holes and one minute it complains about it and one minute it doesn't. I only have two little red lines left. And all I am doing is deleting and recapping and retooling and eventually it works. Its pissing me off but I'm getting there.

EDIT: IT WORKED! IT FINALLY F'n WORKED!!! SEE! I TOLD YOU THIS MOTHER F'n PIECE OF GARBAGE IS STUFFED! I capped the hole, converted to mesh and exported it and IT MAGICALLY WORKED! F YOU TOOL! Stupid program...

Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Dec 1, 2018 at 12:37 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Dec 1, 2018 01:40 AM    Msg. 7 of 7       
Use select faces tool.

Drag over top of the edges that are red.

Find a hidden flat face.

Sometimes when you weld two vertices, it doesnt remove all the faces. So you get a phantom face that mirrors alongside the edge that you have to delete.

That's most likely the issue you ran into. But again, Tool works exactly as it's supposed to. Run that .JMS through 1000 times it'll come out the same. Export that model to .jms 1000 times it'll come out the same. The only thing that changed here was the 3D mesh prior to import. That's on you.

Again, not trying to say you suck or anything along those lines. But if you blame the toolset you won't be able to learn what legitimate mistakes you're making. There was something wrong in the geometry, whatever it might have been.

Mistakes are fine, this is a complicated engine and toolset and it's very outdated. It can be easy to blame the tools when things don't work; the other day I asked someone if vehicle_test_seat was broken. It wasn't, even though I was convinced I had it right I was making a mistake. It worked the way it was supposed to.

But again, Tool doesn't check for sealed world rules for render geometry. So I don't know what you were doing, but something along the way was wrong.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon December 17, 2018 6:10 AM 359 ms.
A Halo Maps Website