A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Encounter via Sapien or Script Thing?

Author Topic: Encounter via Sapien or Script Thing? (3 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Some tutorials would be nice...

Posted: Dec 25, 2018 02:28 AM    Msg. 1 of 3       
Are there ways to make certain AI do certain things animation wise?

Throughout the campaign there are bits where marines are crouched, tying shoelaces, doing fist bumps etc. Is this controlled in Sapien or is an animation called upon in a script?

In cutscenes there are marines that are doing these actions but I just cannot find how they are made to do this.

Also, regarding biped death positions, is there a way to get bodies to have every death pose if you fiddle with the animation tag? So obviously all the bipeds spawn dead lying face down so I assume there is a line in the tags that can be altered that dictates what type of death=what type of pose?
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Dec 25, 2018 at 02:32 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Dec 25, 2018 05:28 AM    Msg. 2 of 3       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halo CE Noob Modder117

Are there ways to make certain AI do certain things animation wise?

Throughout the campaign there are bits where marines are crouched, tying shoelaces, doing fist bumps etc. Is this controlled in Sapien or is an animation called upon in a script?

In cutscenes there are marines that are doing these actions but I just cannot find how they are made to do this.

(custom_animation <unit> <animation_graph> <string> <boolean>)

(custom_animation pilot_intro "cinematics\animations\pilot\x30\x30" "heads_up" false )

If you choose true it interpolates into it.

This is using a custom made animation in 3DS max, which would accomplish the customized interactions you speak of. If all you need is for marines to run around, crouch and shoot, recorded animations are preferable but difficult to setup.

You have to install a version of 1.09, non-opensauce Halo and find the recorded animations editor. Lock the FPS to 30, if you forget to do this the animation is worthless. You go ingame, hit record, perform whatever functions you want, then save. Now you open the recorded animations tool, open a scenario, import the animation you just made, and hit save.

If you need to import it into OpenSauce, then you open mozzarilla, export the recorded animation, open your actual OS scenario file and import it.

Recorded animations don't need 3DS max, and are actual controller input to whatever unit you assign it to. So if you hold forward for 30 ticks, shoot your weapon and then crouch walk to the left; so does the marine. It plays back your controller input verbatim, you can even apply a recorded_animation to the player and create one of those first-person cutscenes. The player loses any ability to input as the animation plays out, until it's finished and then they regain control.

Quote: --- Original message by: Halo CE Noob Modder117
Also, regarding biped death positions, is there a way to get bodies to have every death pose if you fiddle with the animation tag? So obviously all the bipeds spawn dead lying face down so I assume there is a line in the tags that can be altered that dictates what type of death=what type of pose?
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Dec 25, 2018 at 02:32 AM

Animation tag are possibly the most hardcoded tags in the game. Their reflexives are predetermined, meaning when you click ADD it tells you what animation that slot is for. You can modify which animation is assigned to that slot, but that slot will always be for the standing death animation. You may have to add several empty slots if the animation you want to assign is a later reflexive.

So there are 2 different slots for death animations that I found with a quick look; the standing death and the airborne death. However I know there's a separate animation for headshot deaths. Don't care enough to look into it any further.

Might be worth looking into if that interests you, but I find it highly unlikely there's a way to accomplish what you want. There's nothing I know that could change what animations the biped is using, and especially not based on what weapon their killed with. Maybe it can be done, but maybe I can turn lead into gold by pissing on it in just the right way. Both would probably be a waste of time in the end.

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Dec 26, 2018 03:09 PM    Msg. 3 of 3       
It's one of the H-kill ones if I remember correctly.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue March 26, 2019 7:30 PM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website