A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Cannot make custom scenario help text boxes for custom missions?

Author Topic: Cannot make custom scenario help text boxes for custom missions? (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Some tutorials would be nice...

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 08:02 AM    Msg. 1 of 5       
Well I tried. And failed. And destroyed my entire UI tags folder. Lucky I had backups of backups.

So yeah going through all the solo, ui, widget and shell crap I only found that it references the base game missions but there's no way of having your scenario point to anything to link scenario help text and boxes.

I was trying to make a datapad like thing via copying how the help screens popup with the text in the window thing.

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 24, 2019 12:40 PM    Msg. 2 of 5       
In stock Halo you can add this button to the stock UI. Find the sp pause menu ui widget tag and it'll reference another widget that will be a column list, this tag references OTHER widgets that should be the buttons themselves. Either copy and add a new one to the bottom, or edit an existing one to run your script.

Make the scripts static scripts, and compile them into the scenario. Then in the button widget make sure that "runs game script" is checked and then write your script name in scenario script or whatever the variable is called.

This is all off the top of my memory. If you post screenshots I can walk you through it but I have no HEK to reference.

If you want to add it to a device machine, install osV4

Edit: I misunderstood, I thought you wanted to run scripts through a UI menu.

Open up the pause menu like I say above, and find the settings menu. Make a copy, delete all the buttons and the images out of the column list and leave just the text box. Mozarilla has the ability to edit the text.

Again, no HEK. Doing this from memory.
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 24, 2019 at 12:43 PM

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Jan 26, 2019 06:14 AM    Msg. 3 of 5       
Sorry its my bad I should have explained this better. In a nut shell, you know how on some missions the text box screens pops up telling you how to control a vehicle? e.g. when entering the scorpion or banshee for the first time. Basically I wanted to do that but I cannot find out if you can link a scenario to those messages as each of the stock campaigns are linked to specific help text tags which like the UI displaying missions, seem hard coded and un-editable.

On the topic of widgets, every time I attempt to do some kind of mod that have those I just want to smash my head off of my table. There are widgets in widgets in widgets and I get lost and become too overwhelmed. I get as far as putting new 'buttons' into menus or whatever but that's it from there.

Unless I have picture/video stimuli to reference, the widget related stuff overwhelms me. I'm about to complete my very first campaign mission, so once I figure out how to end my script, I will probably attempt to take another crack at UI/widget tags and scripting.

I know I already mentioned this last year, I still really want to figure out how to make my own custom list of missions like the UUI but have it readily editable so I can keep adding more missions to it. Like a template. Unless someone else has already beaten me to this...
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Jan 26, 2019 at 06:17 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Jan 26, 2019 10:23 AM    Msg. 4 of 5       
Find an existing hud_messages tag with Mozarilla

Edit the texts to say whatever you want. Add new ones, delete old ones, whatever. Change the names of each to match the text so you remember it, simple names. banshee1, not help_banshee_first-time_goodluckrememberingthispart

Save this file somewhere. Maybe in the same directory as your scenario. Maybe in the directory of someone else's scenario. Just save it.

In your scenario in guerilla, find the section for hud message texts. Add yours.

In your scripts, run (hud_set_help_text banshee1)

Or (hud_set_help_text help_banshee_first-time_goodluckrememberingthispart)

Your choice. Either one sets which message to display.

Then run the command (show_hud_help_text <true/false>) to set it on or off.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Jan 26, 2019 07:22 PM    Msg. 5 of 5       
Ah for fudge sake... We've just wasted our time... I had this all right from the start as usual there was a minor typo in my script... I had done this and noticed that it would never display (all the other options displayed helps1-4 but not this one particular one) so then I made the post thinking it was something else when in-fact, I spelt the reference wrong...

So sorry. What a dumb ass...

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat April 20, 2019 1:20 AM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website