A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Tool reuses to use modified stock tags, help!

Author Topic: Tool reuses to use modified stock tags, help! (17 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Pabeung

Oify

Posted: Feb 21, 2019 08:50 AM    Msg. 1 of 17       
I am using Windows 10 64-bit and I am having this annoying thing that even applies to other tags, I don't know if this a file permission thing or what but when I try to compile a map it reuses to use the modified tags I did and most cases are the bitmaps. It doesn't use my modified bitmaps and just using the stock one again even though I have completely overwritten it and sometimes when I edit my own tags specifically the model and shader tags It keeps using the older version of the thing even though I have completely changed everything It's like there is an invisible tag that they keep using instead of the current edited one and I never got this error when I was still using Win7. Is there a way to get around it?

Kal_El

Posted: Feb 21, 2019 09:12 AM    Msg. 2 of 17       
when you make the necessary changes (new skins) you have to extract map once again, but "over-write" existing tags with newly created tags

JadeMcLain

Posted: Feb 21, 2019 10:17 AM    Msg. 3 of 17       
Quote: --- Original message by: Pabeung
I am using Windows 10 64-bit and I am having this annoying thing that even applies to other tags, I don't know if this a file permission thing or what but when I try to compile a map it reuses to use the modified tags I did and most cases are the bitmaps. It doesn't use my modified bitmaps and just using the stock one again even though I have completely overwritten it and sometimes when I edit my own tags specifically the model and shader tags It keeps using the older version of the thing even though I have completely changed everything It's like there is an invisible tag that they keep using instead of the current edited one and I never got this error when I was still using Win7. Is there a way to get around it?

The shared resource maps are messing with your changes. If you rename your modified tags and have guerrilla point to them, it will work.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 21, 2019 12:12 PM    Msg. 4 of 17       
This is what happens when you don't run everything as an administrator

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Feb 21, 2019 04:07 PM    Msg. 5 of 17       
Your tags are not being picked up on because tool only checks the size that the bitmap data is in the tag, and bitmaps with the same resolution and compression will always have the same bitmap data size. Do as some other people have been suggesting and make sure your edited tags have different names.

(I wish tool were smarter and generated a hash for each bitmap or something)

Oh and move Halo out of program files into a directory where you are sure you have file permissions. Orrr, change the directory permissions so you are the owner. You should never run random things off the internet (including the HEK) as admin. I have actually found arbitrary data execution exploits in Guerilla, so like, for real, move them out of program files, or change the file permissions, don't run as admin.
Edited by SBB_Michelle on Feb 21, 2019 at 04:12 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 21, 2019 06:08 PM    Msg. 6 of 17       
Yeah so if you think somebody is going to gain unauthorized access to your computer and then use Guerilla to execute arbitrary code, you can do whatever michelle says. Or just run everything as an admin, like I have without issues for about a decade now.

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Feb 21, 2019 07:21 PM    Msg. 7 of 17       
Congratulations on showing you have zero idea on how that works.

Pabeung

Oify

Posted: Feb 21, 2019 10:19 PM    Msg. 8 of 17       
Yes dumb af that guy and the modified stuff I'm trying to get work now is the refined stuff I got from that new Halo site, they got those things to compile how come It doesn't work out for me and I remember back in 2010 when I was still using XP that I was just overwriting stock bitmaps and I got them to work.

This is what it says when I'm trying to compile the refined stuff.

Kavawuvi

Brrrrrrring Ha!

Posted: Feb 22, 2019 12:02 AM    Msg. 9 of 17       
Yes dumb af that guy and the modified stuff I'm trying to get work now is the refined stuff I got from that new Halo site, they got those things to compile how come It doesn't work out for me and I remember back in 2010 when I was still using XP that I was just overwriting stock bitmaps and I got them to work.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz-m9-jVYAIRMxc.jpg:large
This is what it says when I'm trying to compile the refined stuff.

It sounds like it's using the bitmaps from your bitmaps.map, not your tags.

A quick way to see if this is the case is to prevent tool.exe from opening bitmaps.map, forcing all of the bitmaps to be in the map from the tags. You may be able to do this by running haloce.exe in the background while running tool.exe, but if that doesn't work, try renaming bitmaps.map.

Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
This is what happens when you don't run everything as an administrator

What you just did here was post a meme, not an actual response. Judging by the original post, running it as admin will not do anything useful for this particular problem as it has to do with the resource maps' tags being used instead of the tag files.

Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
Yeah so if you think somebody is going to gain unauthorized access to your computer and then use Guerilla to execute arbitrary code, you can do whatever michelle says. Or just run everything as an admin, like I have without issues for about a decade now.

I'm gonna have to go with Michelle on this one. If you have to run any of the Halo Editing Kit tools as admin, then your installation is broken (and it's your fault).

Also, it doesn't matter if anyone is going to have unauthorized access to your PC or not. Giving administrator access to a program to work around a problem when you could have just as easily fixed the actual problem (the permissions) is just plain stupid.

Obviously I can't convince you to stop, because you're just going to say that you think it's the right way to do things. You might even say that you "tried" doing it the right way and it didn't work for you (likely because you did it wrong because, if you're running everything as admin, you probably have no idea what you're doing in the first place). However, you shouldn't be telling other people to do something when there's an obviously better system for this that's built right into Windows.

Edited by Kavawuvi on Feb 22, 2019 at 12:07 AM

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: Feb 22, 2019 12:33 AM    Msg. 10 of 17       
They compile because they have different sizes. I can see that what they did was likely do something along the lines of this:

Go to the bottom of the bitmap tag, duplicate the bitmap, set the res to 4x4 and mipmap count to 0. As a bonus you can also set the registration point to 2.

What this does is it makes the bitmap tag size bigger and the bitmap data size bigger. So tool doesn't use the one in the bitmaps.map

Vaporeon

Vap~

Posted: Feb 22, 2019 12:50 AM    Msg. 11 of 17       
Or just use Invader.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Feb 22, 2019 02:40 PM    Msg. 12 of 17       
What michelle says is correct. I wrote a script to edit all bitmaps in a folder so it would add a teeny 4x4 dxt1 bitmap with 0 mips onto the end of the bitmaps reflexive. Adds an additional 56 bytes per tag, so it's inconsequential. Also, vap, not everyone can set up a compiler

Kavawuvi

Brrrrrrring Ha!

Posted: Feb 22, 2019 03:11 PM    Msg. 13 of 17       
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
Also, vap, not everyone can set up a compiler

When single player maps start working without issue, then I'll start releasing builds of Invader for people to use and test. There are some issues that need ironed out, first, such as scripting and AI stuff.

Edited by Kavawuvi on Feb 22, 2019 at 03:14 PM

Pabeung

Oify

Posted: Feb 22, 2019 11:45 PM    Msg. 14 of 17       
I just duplicated and rename everything cause I like to put an extra mile on random stuff like tag arrangements and tag names. I am experiencing another thing that I need help with, the suicidal marine and some marines with the specific weapons rans out of ammo even though their magazine properties are just copy pasted from stock ones and this is already SP so that's weird af.

DeadHamster

Posted: Feb 23, 2019 09:39 AM    Msg. 15 of 17       
Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
Congratulations on showing you have zero idea on how that works.

If what you're suggesting is that by running Guerilla as an admin a glitch in the program is going to cause it to read memories out of the bounds of the file's it's actually accessing, potentially overwriting other sections of the HDD that may be related to other files, programs or the operating system itself, yes I understand how that works.

I'll also restate the part where I've been doing this for nearly a decade without issue. Maybe it works differently on Linux when you have python running in the background; I'm sure that Microsoft's fault.

Yes dumb af that guy and the modified stuff I'm trying to get work now is the refined stuff I got from that new Halo site

Yeah coming from the guy who can't figure out how to use tags he's downloaded.

Pabeung

Oify

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 03:43 AM    Msg. 16 of 17       
Low tier kid I'm the greatest Halo CE mod developer beyond ZTeam levels and I'm having a hard time understanding this low tier tags.

Kal_El

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 09:05 AM    Msg. 17 of 17       
Low tier kid I'm the greatest Halo CE mod developer beyond ZTeam levels and I'm having a hard time understanding this low tier tags.

Good Luck getting any help now! lol

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat May 25, 2019 10:12 AM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website