A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Editing campaign enemy squads with Eschaton? -Halo gearbox port

Author Topic: Editing campaign enemy squads with Eschaton? -Halo gearbox port (13 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

trickshottr

Posted: Mar 8, 2019 09:56 AM    Msg. 1 of 13       
I want to mod some things such as for example
making the human combat form on the Maw thats with the covenant turned into a SpecOps elite
Change some encounters such as replacing some flood infection forms into combat forms or carrier forms
change some weapons the flood wields

I know I need to go into Scnr ...and reflexives/encounters? But then i get completely lost and no idea what to do next due to the actor palette...like in the encounters section icant seem to figure out how to use the actor palette or where to change tags
Edited by trickshottr on Mar 8, 2019 at 01:37 PM
Edited by trickshottr on Mar 8, 2019 at 03:28 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 8, 2019 03:41 PM    Msg. 2 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: trickshottr

I want to mod some things such as for example
making the human combat form on the Maw thats with the covenant turned into a SpecOps elite
Change some encounters such as replacing some flood infection forms into combat forms or carrier forms
change some weapons the flood wields

I know I need to go into Scnr ...and reflexives/encounters? But then i get completely lost and no idea what to do next due to the actor palette...like elites are listed twice for example..so no idea what to do
Edited by trickshottr on Mar 8, 2019 at 01:37 PM

At this point in the game Using Eschaton and the PC environment is completely dead. All modding has shifted over to Custom Edition (which is also completely dead), and while I recommended Eschaton previously, it was because of the simplicity in the editing you were looking to do.

You can modify this with Eschaton, however you'd be better off learning how to make your own AI battles in Custom Edition, and then taking that knowledge to make something much better than a few sloppy edits in an old program.

If you want to do this for now I'll show you all the main things that would interest you.

Open your map and find the SCNR tag. FIRST THING, in the dropdown box above the tag data, change the plugin from starter plugin to Sparky's Plugins. Don't go to Actor Palette, go to ENCOUNTERS which is right below that.

The actor palette is a collection of tag references. When the encounters (AI) are setup, they use an index number that corresponds to the actor palette. This saves data space.

Inside the Encounters;

Enum16 Team Index Can change the Team index from Human to Covenant to Flood.

Bitmask32 can check "respawn enabled" which will cause the AI to respawn.

Float32 has the respawn delay timer. If you check respawn enabled you should set this.

So inside each encounter in Eschaton you'll see another set of reflexives for Squads, go into those.

While an encounter is a large group of AI, the squad is usually each AI type in that group. Think of a room full of covenant; there's one encounter, with a squad for elites, a squad for grunts, and a squad for jackals. Maybe there's a set of reinforcement squads that come in a dropship and use the same space.

So for squads, here's the interesting data;

Float32; Respawn timer will override 'global' encounter timer

Enum16 Initial State; make grunts sleep, search the area, just hang around, etc.

Int16; Normal/Insane Difficulty Count (how many AI are initially placed)

Int16; Respawn Minimum/Maximum (Set this if you checked respawn enabled)

Int16; Respawn Total (how many sets of respawns. If it's 0, it's infinite.)

Indexes; This is the Actor Type. As I stated before, it corresponds to the Actor Palette. Chunk 1 is reflexive 1, Chunk 12 is reflexive 12. So write down which actor belongs to which palette number, and then assign the chunk based on that. Eschaton's plugin system isn't intelligent enough to read the data from the tag, so it just says "Chunk 1" "Chunk 2"

Lastly;

String: Name This is a text name the developer gave to the squad. This will help you determine which encounter the AI is.

If you had Custom Edition, all of this is editable in a 3D environment that renders the level and allows you to move the spawn points, etc.

This is a terrible tutorial, but it will have to do. It shows how to place AI encounters in Sapien using very outdated extraction tools. If you plan on actually learning Custom Edition, let me know and I'll be happy to get you setup with everything you need

Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 8, 2019 at 03:43 PM

trickshottr

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 12:02 PM    Msg. 3 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 8, 2019 at 03:43 PM

The only reason I use eschaton is well..technically I am modding Halo CE annivesary and i havent found any tools that can open annivesary's maps except eschaton. The PC version is a guinea pig.

I do have one more question. I set the Sparky's plugins and I go to encounters and change the indexes(chunks)but all of them dont seem to save. Whenever i press enter or not after each chunk edit. The only thing that seems to change is the actor variants that I change get converted to Chunk 1.

Any ideas what i am doing wrong?

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 12:18 PM    Msg. 4 of 13       
Probably because you're editing anniversary maps.

Also, go to preferences and switch to classic controls. The Scrolling Controls was added to appease PC users who were familiar with HMT 3.5, it was not an intended feature and it is horribly programmed. As complicated as classic is, it's for the best.

Try opening a stock Halo PC map and see how that goes. If it does the same thing, then it's something broken with the plugins, or you need to run as an admin maybe? You can edit everything except actor type with the starter plugins, but you need Sparky's to see the dropdown selection for Actor Type.

If you gave me more information as to how the Anniversary mapfiles work, I can help you better. If we have to, we'll do some kind of wizardy.

trickshottr

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 09:43 PM    Msg. 5 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
Probably because you're editing anniversary maps.

Also, go to preferences and switch to classic controls. The Scrolling Controls was added to appease PC users who were familiar with HMT 3.5, it was not an intended feature and it is horribly programmed. As complicated as classic is, it's for the best.

Try opening a stock Halo PC map and see how that goes. If it does the same thing, then it's something broken with the plugins, or you need to run as an admin maybe? You can edit everything except actor type with the starter plugins, but you need Sparky's to see the dropdown selection for Actor Type.

If you gave me more information as to how the Anniversary mapfiles work, I can help you better. If we have to, we'll do some kind of wizardy.

Thanks for bearing with me for so long. I know this is going to be a long clusterfk of a response but there isnt any way to tl;dr it. Here are some tidbits that i missed out. The program im using is actually called Eschaton AE(eschaton anniversary which is basically eschaton but for halo AE http://macgamingmods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18243 ). Halo AE should...theoretically be moddable by default modding tools that are used for the original halo because the devs who developed it simply took Gearbox's port with the engine and all and plastered fancy graphics ontop of it(you can swap to the old graphics at any time). But i cant get any other tools to read those maps(Adjutant can read some tags but you cant edit tags there). I tried using HMT 3.5 but it doesnt really work..like it can read some offsets and whatnot but I run into similar problems like this guy https://www.xboxchaos.com/topic/5306-help-with-modding-campaign/

Ok i changed my controls but i ran into a problem even with the "original PC maps". Because even on the PC port...changing squads it either doesn't save or changes it all to Chunk 1. The squads im editing are on d20(Keyes) and the flood squad #1(encounter 2, combatsinitial which I want to change to no weapons at all instead of plasma rifle/shotgun). I know chaging squads "sort of works" because some flood did get changed to elites(lol).

I know Eschaton AE(and Sparky's Plugin)also do work because I successfully edited the FRG and the sword and some globals(such as taking less damage and carrying 10x of each grenade)

I can upload whatever maps you would like and Eschaton AE. I did decompress the maps as well(its a step required for Halo Anniversary)
Edited by trickshottr on Mar 11, 2019 at 09:45 PM
Edited by trickshottr on Mar 11, 2019 at 09:50 PM
Edited by trickshottr on Mar 11, 2019 at 09:51 PM
Edited by trickshottr on Mar 11, 2019 at 09:53 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 10:01 PM    Msg. 6 of 13       
Have you used Guerilla or the HEK?

If it doesn't work in Stock Halo it's an issue with the specific SCNR Plugin, or the way Eschaton handles the plugin's data for indexes. It's complicated again because it's reading from the tag how many of a reflexive it has to choose from, and Eschaton was designed back in '08/'09 when we didn't even have the tagdata fully mapped out yet. That's what the plugins were; so that we can update the program when we learned new offsets.

I could possibly fix it but I don't remember entity plugins that well and don't feel like re-learning them considering they haven't been used in about 10 years. If it's an issue with Eschaton, the source code for Eschaton is a conglomeration of multiple subroutines, most not even written by it's author Altimit. I could open it, but I'm not going to be able to do anything with it.

So, the next step would be to take the existing campaign map, extract with refinery, modify the scenario tag in Guerilla by only changing existing data (not adding or removing reflexives), compiling that map, extracting the scenario tag back out of it and injecting it over the scenario tag in the anniversary map.

Like cloning yourself so that you can steal your kidney.

If you're down for this, let me know. I'll ride along with you and see how it goes.

But to be clear from the start, I got a ton of Halo modding stuff I already work on, and that's limited by the fact that I also have non computer things I do as well. So at no point will I physically mod a level for you. If I'm going to spend time modding, it's going to be doing something of mine.

I will however, do my best to walk you through step by step so that you can do it yourself.

trickshottr

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 03:41 PM    Msg. 7 of 13       
ive tried both so far but my knowledge is so limited im notsure if im doing things right

THe good news is that it is able to read the anniversary maps,but the bad news is that it is crashing

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 07:28 PM    Msg. 8 of 13       
ive tried both so far but my knowledge is so limited im notsure if im doing things right

THe good news is that it is able to read the anniversary maps,but the bad news is that it is crashing

https://i.imgur.com/wx6o2SS.jpg

That's okay, we're actually going to be using Refinery. Not sure if it works with Anniversary, but it's better than HEK+ in every way.

HEK is the term used to describe Guerilla/Sapien/Tool, HEK+ is an extraction tool that's outdated.

This installs the MEK Essentials. Install it and try to extract just the scenario tag from the Anniversary map. If you can't extract it from the Anniversary map, extract the entirety of the same map from the stock Halo PC mapfile that matches it.

Then, open your scenario tag in Guerilla and make any wanted adjustments. You CANNOT ADD OR REMOVE ANY ITEMS. You CANNOT CHANGE TAG REFERENCES. NO ADDING, NO REMOVING, NO CHANGING TAGS. You can change which AI a squad uses, but DO NOT change the AI tag itself. This is to make sure we keep the tag the same size as stock, if you modify any references it'll won't be able to be cleanly injected later.

After making all those adjustments and compiling your mapfile, test and make sure it works and that the changes you made show up appropriately.

Edit: Eschaton can expand anniversary maps, right?
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 12, 2019 at 07:36 PM

trickshottr

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 10:17 AM    Msg. 9 of 13       
The problem I ran into with Refinery is that while it is capable of "opening" the tags and read them all including the scenario tag but it cannot seem to extract them. So far only Hek+ can.

So what I did so far is extract the Scenario tag itself for one level and try to edit it with Guerilla. But then im not sure how to recompile the tag back into the map there is no option to copy paste it or anything. I cannot extract the whole map with hek+ but only portions of it due to some sort of crashes(just like the ones above)

About eschaton expanding anniversary maps...well when I press the expand thing it just hangs at 0% so im assuming no
Edited by trickshottr on Mar 13, 2019 at 10:18 AM
Edited by trickshottr on Mar 13, 2019 at 02:16 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 05:48 PM    Msg. 10 of 13       
About eschaton expanding anniversary maps...well when I press the expand thing it just hangs at 0% so im assuming no

Ok so I actually looked into it again and here's what I found;

Forget the replacing the Scenario tag, too complex. Nothing appears to be properly opening Anniversary maps, which is expected as there is some new data crammed in there.

Classic Controls in Eschaton had a requirement of pressing Enter after entering data in order to actually write it to the mapfile. This was to prevent it from writing on each keystroke. While a save button would be better, this is what we were given. I think the issue coming up is that the 'indexes' function in Eschaton wasn't finished properly and so the write function is always writing 0 instead of the actual list_index of the dropdown box.

The good news is; this doesn't happen in Scrolling controls. So, ignore what I said about scrolling controls being the devil and get through it somehow. Open the tag, go to sparky's plugins, find the Actor Palette. Write down all the AI types. Go to the encounters/squads section, and change the actor_type index. It should automatically write that to the mapfile, no pressing enter or anything.

Make as many changes as you can before closing the map. To "properly" close the program, after editing the SCNR tag select the "REFERENCE SWAPPER" dropdown, then select another tag, then select the mapfile and in the FILE menu select Close Map (CTRL+SHIFT+X).

If you try to just click another tag without first selecting the reference swapper, Eschaton will crash (your changes are saved.) Also, if you try to re-select the Scenario tag after having already selected and deselected it once, Eschaton will crash (your changes are saved.)

Edit: One last thing just to be clear; you can't add anything to the level that wasn't already there. If the map had Hunters, you can put Hunters all over the place. But if there wasn't already Hunters somewhere in the map's tags, you can't add them in.
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 13, 2019 at 05:54 PM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 06:04 PM    Msg. 11 of 13       
I specifically disabled extracting scenarios, bsps, sounds, and bitmaps from anniversary maps. Bitmaps, sounds, and bsps are missing their rawdata in anniversary maps, so you'd only be extracting partial tags. Scenarios are a different issue. I don't know how the recorded animations are stored, so I can't properly byteswap them. Additionally, unless hek+ got an update after anniversary released, I guarantee it won't be able to properly extract tags. I've personally extracted all of b30 anniversary with refinery(replacing the tags types I mentioned with pc equivalents) and rebuilt and played it for custom edition. Aside from some weirdness with the hud scalingg, it plays perfectly.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Mar 18, 2019 at 07:23 PM

trickshottr

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 07:06 AM    Msg. 12 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
I specifically disabled extracting scenarios, bsps, sounds, and bitmaps from anniversary maps. Bitmaps, sounds, and bsps are missing their rawdata in anniversary maps, so you'd only be extracting partial tags. Scenarios are a different issue. I don't know how the recorded animations are stored, so I can properly byteswap them. Additionally, unless hek+ got an update after anniversary released, I guarantee it won't be able to properly extract tags. I've personally extracted all of b30 anniversary with refinery(replacing the tags types I mentioned with pc equivalents) and rebuilt and played it for custom edition. Aside from some weirdness with the hud scalingscaling, it plays perfectly.

Oh...i guess i will give it a shot replacing the corrupted tags with the PC ones.

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 06:34 PM    Msg. 13 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
I specifically disabled extracting scenarios, bsps, sounds, and bitmaps from anniversary maps. Bitmaps, sounds, and bsps are missing their rawdata in anniversary maps, so you'd only be extracting partial tags. Scenarios are a different issue. I don't know how the recorded animations are stored, so I can properly byteswap them. Additionally, unless hek+ got an update after anniversary released, I guarantee it won't be able to properly extract tags. I've personally extracted all of b30 anniversary with refinery(replacing the tags types I mentioned with pc equivalents) and rebuilt and played it for custom edition. Aside from some weirdness with the hud scalingscaling, it plays perfectly.

Oh...i guess i will give it a shot replacing the corrupted tags with the PC ones.

Well he's saying he rebuilt it, for PC.

You should do what I said above if you want an Anniversary map.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon March 25, 2019 5:02 PM 157 ms.
A Halo Maps Website