A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Low poly count ODST city

Author Topic: Low poly count ODST city (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Erutypus

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 02:34 AM    Msg. 1 of 6       
Seeing DeadHamster's FOM map with the section 5 in it (plus all the other parts/sections with massive amounts of geometry) gives me hope that a complete ODST map (with all sections) in HaloCE is possible.

I am attempting to make a custom ODST city model with as low poly count as possible.
Here is what I have done so far.

Edited by Erutypus on Mar 18, 2019 at 02:06 PM

lolslayer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHbAKvPJkU

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 05:35 AM    Msg. 2 of 6       
impressive stuff

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 05:59 AM    Msg. 3 of 6       
This is very, very cool. Excited to see how it develops. The overall geometry is pretty accurate from the screenshots. Getting more complex materials later on might be a pain, but this is a great start to something that looks promising.

Edit:

For reference, by cutting out the courtyard and optimizing the geometry while preserving material edges, I was able to get the section 5 BSP down to about 45K polys. I shaved another 3-4k off by redrawing overcomplex sections of the BSP from there. Once it got <42K I was satisfied, but there's a lot of unoptimized geometry I could still update. And, unfortunately, my tunnels use a lot of geometry that they really shouldn't be, so that would save you a lot as well.

So, with sub-optimized rips that need minimum material updating you can get an average ODST BSP down to ~41K faces each. That's what the average for each of my FOM geometry pieces ends up being. I have 6 BSP sections @ 41K each, so you should in theory be able to get a full ODST BSP into CE out of ripped geometry as opposed to going from scratch.

I think that might be a better avenue to go about. But you seem to churn out this geometry fairly quickly, so IDK.
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 14, 2019 at 06:05 AM

Erutypus

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 05:18 PM    Msg. 4 of 6       
Thanks, I gave up on it over a year or so ago thinking I could never get the poly count low enough. But your FOM map inspired me to continue the work. I really like that map by the way.

So, is the poly count in a HCE map only limited how many polys are viable on screen at the time you are viewing them (i.e. 42 polys per section)? Are the polys in the other sections that are not being viewed at that time don't count depending on where your at? If it is so then, I would like to add more sections later on. If not then I got to make some more changes to make. Well, all three sections add up to 135066 polys. Its a little over 45K each section, so I got to cut out some more polys here and there.

Not sure how much time I put into the modeling on this project. It gets a little tedious working on the same thing over and over again, so I alternate between five other projects I am working on. but its been at least over a two or three years I think.

DeadHamster

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 06:07 PM    Msg. 5 of 6       
Quote: --- Original message by: Erutypus
So, is the poly count in a HCE map only limited how many polys are viable on screen at the time you are viewing them (i.e. 42 polys per section)? Are the polys in the other sections that are not being viewed at that time don't count depending on where your at? If it is so then, I would like to add more sections later on. If not then I got to make some more changes to make. Well, all three sections add up to 135066 polys. Its a little over 45K each section, so I got to cut out some more polys here and there.

Vanilla Halo, with no enhancements, can render approximately 16k triangles at a time. With HAC2, that number is doubled to 32k. OpenSauce is in the middle at 24k.

You would separate each "section" into an individual BSP section, and then find a way to load them with two bay doors or something else. That's about how ODST did it, but you definitely cannot combine all of the sections together into a single BSP structure. You would need to make one for each section, and then use (switch_bsp) or a BSP switching Trigger Volume to make the swap.

What that 24k/32k limit means is level portalling. Are you familiar with +portal and +exactportal? You're gonna be soon. They're planes that divide open sections of the map. The areas the player aren't in are culled and don't render, which let's Halo better decide how to get the total number of polys from 42k down to either 24k or 32k. OpenSauce has a lot of other enhancements for Single Player. IDK if HAC2 even works anymore, I've always detested it.

You won't get these BSPs rendering in Vanilla stock Halo, 16K just isn't enough, if you divide the level into too many sections the engine will cull areas that are in plain view. Realistically you should be splitting a level down based on level geometry into about 4-5 areas. If you want help in this, let me know. there is NO documentation that properly explains how to do these; everything you find will say to make a grid and extrude it past the sky. This is rubbish, it works about as well as it sounds it would work. From what I've gathered, BSP Portalling was designed to enhance rendering performance. Helping bypass rendering limits is a nice side effect.

There's a ton of subtle rules to portals. A single plane can't bisect multiple open areas, portals and exact portals ar I've been figuring a lot of these out.

DeadHamster #8410

on Discord. Happy to provide assistance.
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 14, 2019 at 06:09 PM

Edit:

After double checking my geometry I want to correct;

The ODST BSP got down to about 39K Polys, not 42k. I use over 3K on the tunnels that connect the BSPs. Horribly inefficient I know. But better news for you.
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 15, 2019 at 05:27 AM

Erutypus

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 01:49 PM    Msg. 6 of 6       
This is the latest model I made.
The poly count is down to 3021 so I am happy how its turned out.

Al-tho, the poly count might double when I create the roads.
I am going to do everything I can to keep it under 16K.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue May 21, 2019 5:48 PM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website