A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Bypass limit of Materials on Models

Author Topic: Bypass limit of Materials on Models (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

The Gravemind

I Am The Monument To All Your Sins

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 11:30 PM    Msg. 1 of 7       
I got this:ERROR this model has too many materials, when trying to compile a model. Anyway I can bypass this or should I just separate the permutations into different models.

DeadHamster

https://discord.gg/Neu4EJM

Posted: Mar 17, 2019 01:15 AM    Msg. 2 of 7       
What the hell are you making

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Mar 17, 2019 12:47 PM    Msg. 3 of 7       
You could put various diffuse maps together and make a single one, like this:

I managed to get about 50 different permutations this way on a single model, but you will need to resize and move a bunch of uvw coordinates to get it to work properly which can be a real pain in the ass, so probably making them different models is the best way to go.
Edited by Kinnet on Mar 17, 2019 at 12:47 PM

The Gravemind

Posted: Mar 17, 2019 02:40 PM    Msg. 4 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
What the hell are you making

Elite goodness

Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet
you will need to resize and move a bunch of uvw coordinates to get it to work properly which can be a real pain in the ass, so probably making them different models is the best way to go.
Edited by Kinnet on Mar 17, 2019 at 12:47 PM

Different models it shall be cause uvw coords are not my thing

DeadHamster

https://discord.gg/Neu4EJM

Posted: Mar 17, 2019 09:04 PM    Msg. 5 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Gravemind

It would actually be really easy. Select the faces, go to UV-unwrap. Then just scale the existing UVmaps to be the size of one of those "Bitmap Tiles", and move it overtop of the proper tile.

Right now the UVmap takes up 1 by 1, you need to resize it so it takes up .25 by .25 and then move it over the proper bitmap. Since the UVmaps are already setup properly, it's just resizing and realigning. Like resizing an image in photoshop.

Because sometimes I do nice things, I made a quick video tutorial of how you would go about doing the suggested

Only downsides would be that materials would share the same shader, and thus have the same detail maps and such things. Normal maps wouldn't be an issue as you could use the same scaled 4x4 of the normals. But you couldn't use different cubemaps or details.
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 17, 2019 at 09:30 PM

The Gravemind

Posted: Mar 17, 2019 11:45 PM    Msg. 6 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

Quote: --- Original message by: The Gravemind

It would actually be really easy. Select the faces, go to UV-unwrap. Then just scale the existing UVmaps to be the size of one of those "Bitmap Tiles", and move it overtop of the proper tile.

Right now the UVmap takes up 1 by 1, you need to resize it so it takes up .25 by .25 and then move it over the proper bitmap. Since the UVmaps are already setup properly, it's just resizing and realigning. Like resizing an image in photoshop.

Because sometimes I do nice things, I made a quick video tutorial of how you would go about doing the suggested

Only downsides would be that materials would share the same shader, and thus have the same detail maps and such things. Normal maps wouldn't be an issue as you could use the same scaled 4x4 of the normals. But you couldn't use different cubemaps or details.
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 17, 2019 at 09:30 PM

I'll just stick with the different models but I really appreciate the video. I should get more practice with UVW coords.

SBB_Michelle

This site brings me pain.

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 05:00 PM    Msg. 7 of 7       
Opensauce should upgrade this number from 32 to 64.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue October 22, 2019 6:07 AM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website