A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »4 Bytes in Tag Header / Reflexive Count

Author Topic: 4 Bytes in Tag Header / Reflexive Count (4 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

DeadHamster

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 01:34 AM    Msg. 1 of 4       
Inside Halo Custom Tags, there's 4 bytes after the tag class string, and also after each reflexive count. These have something to do with loading the tag into memory, and the size of chunks within the tag. Somebody had explained to me how these were calculated but now I don't remember. Anyone able to shed some light on it? Can't make heads or tails of what the values are or how they're calculated.

What I'm referencing, to clarify.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 01:53 AM    Msg. 2 of 4       
https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/mek/src/default/notes/Mo's%20Halo%20Whitepapers%20-%20Constants%2C%20Enumerators%2C%20and%20Structures.odt

And before you ask, no, it's not in python, it's C++.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Apr 3, 2019 at 01:55 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 02:07 AM    Msg. 3 of 4       
Edit:

Talked with moses more. The values I was looking for were the Tag Checksum, which he linked me to a refinery module to calculate, and the pointer, which is empty padding space. I was under the impression it was a valid pointer of some type because Guerilla and Sapien use the space when loading the tag the same way the game engine does, and writes the pointer to the tag. This data is stripped and replaced with the proper magic-offset pointer when the map is compiled, but in the meantime is meaningless garbage that isn't needed to read the tag.

In further news;

Thanks to Moses this is quickly underway.
Edited by DeadHamster on Apr 3, 2019 at 04:20 PM

sparky

Dismissal of Truth leaves one to believe lies

Posted: Apr 7, 2019 01:57 AM    Msg. 4 of 4       

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri May 24, 2019 6:03 AM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website