A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Faster way to download files?

Author Topic: Faster way to download files? (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

S12Spark

Posted: Apr 11, 2019 01:24 PM    Msg. 1 of 5       
Is there any faster way I can download all of halomaps files instead of clicking on each one individually? Is there like a file repository of each category where I can download them all? I'm trying to back everything up.

Kal_El

Posted: Apr 14, 2019 11:37 AM    Msg. 2 of 5       

S12Spark

Posted: Apr 14, 2019 02:47 PM    Msg. 3 of 5       
Thanks I'll take a look.

sparky

Dismissal of Truth leaves one to believe lies

Posted: Apr 15, 2019 02:36 PM    Msg. 4 of 5       
To download all the files from that list, use wget or similar program and filter by only zip files, or use a regular expression to modify the HTML text to show only the zip file links as one per line and use a batch script, for example.

I replied to your private message. I have occasionally read the logs on my server and noticed there is still an interest in Halo-related files I had archived. In the past, I did HTML directory listings, but I'm going to do SFTP instead. I'll post a new thread when both the files and SFTP are ready. With SFTP, you can download files individually or in bulk. Consider using:

Since you asked about alternatives to hce.halomaps.org, notice that HaloMaps does not use HTTPS. Halonet.net also does not use valid HTTPS. Applying HTTPS is a trivial task for web site owners, therefore I do it for myself. This forum could also generally use updating, in my opinion. It has a lot of information, so I archived it up to a point.

But my interests have moved elsewhere.

Halo is a work of art, and its players have done a lot with it, extending its expected lifespan and thus Microsoft's profit margins. But attention to old software is merely showing what has been done. I think that the reconsideration of basic aspects of the game engine is neglected, and that is where the player and modder and programmer interests fall short. That's why several programmers have moved on. Discussions that Bungie programmers mentioned have no soil here; I did as they said was possible, using a database instead of the tag file system, but all such discussions ultimately are outside the scope of this community, because the results become something other than Halo. It's development of a new and different game engine. I've done so many different things with this game and its files that if I were to list them all, you'd probably ask me why I haven't simply made a new game. So that's what I would want to discuss; my interests in the hundreds of gigabytes of files I have paid and worked to have downloadable is waning. And I've already essentially stopped using this forum.

My work is dynamic. Links change. Files are modified. Features are added. Systems are overhauled. Tutorials are revised for brevity. Directories are sorted. Software is updated. I change my mind about whatever it is that I'm designing.

Halo Maps Forum has been rather static and consistent. (Kudos to Dennis.) Learn to work with such systems by practicing regular expressions and exploring software options.

In the mean time, the rest of us will be making new games and apps for you to enjoy.

S12Spark

Posted: Apr 15, 2019 05:34 PM    Msg. 5 of 5       
Alrighty, let me know when you have it done. thank you for your time.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri May 24, 2019 6:04 AM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website