A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Galaxy Verge

Author Topic: Galaxy Verge (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

sparky

Dismissal of Truth leaves one to believe lies

Posted: Apr 15, 2019 08:59 PM    Msg. 1 of 5       
galaxyverge.com is the main domain that I use. I have had multiple projects over the years using several different domain names, but that's the main domain name.

I'm organizing it. For example, I was hosting mirrors of archival sites like blamdepot and xboxdb. Duplicate files were common. No longer. I'm decompressing everything and removing any residual extraneous files that were not already removed by what I've already done.

Also, since I'm not modifying my own files since earlier renditions of the archive, I'm simply going to put it into a squashfs read-only filesystem. Via SFTP, you will be able to access individual files and, if you have the disk space, download the entire .squashfs archive to extract using 7-Zip. I'll think about also presenting the archive as a typical HTML-generated directory listing in case you don't want to use an SFTP program for whatever reason.

I realize this is kind of late news, but I don't know what people have done since I stopped using this forum. If there is new software or information, it unfortunately will remain apart from my archive.

Once it's all sorted, I'll leave it up for at least several months. By this time, you should be comfortable with other options.

Thinking back on my various Halo-related projects, the only other project I intend to complete is doing some C coding to kind of remake Halo's file format structs. I don't know who is interested in that anymore besides myself. I'd like to glance through some of the work others have done and compare to my results before presenting to you all here some links to what would be my definitive Halo C source files.

After that, I'm officially done with Halo, to begin taking all that I've learned from these matters and pursuing the design of a new game engine. I've already mentioned this in another thread.

I hope you enjoy using whatever I come up with throughout the next several months.

HandofGod

Halo Mac/MD Player & Modder

Posted: Apr 16, 2019 12:20 PM    Msg. 2 of 5       
I think it really is kinda crazy to completely leave the game after all these years and with all the knowledge you have. I know other people come and go all the time but you've been a great resource for people who're just learning to mod. If you're going to go on about all the abuse you've received from people on here I understand but Halomaps has always been pretty brutal. You kinda warranted some of it with some of the promises you made (but please don't go off on me).

I would personally really enjoy it if you came back to HaloMD/Halo Mac for the next few months. Apple's probably going to do away with 32 bit support soon as you know and it would be nice to have someone with your experience back in that community. I'm still there lol and will be until the end if you do ever change your mind.

sparky

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 09:14 AM    Msg. 3 of 5       
The issue is primarily that the projects I mentioned in the past were really intended to be means for me to gain experience with experimentations with software development. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, my reputation suffered because, even though I wanted to finish the projects, in the back of my mind, I really knew that it was all really simply practice and learning, so they were never fully finished in the ways that I had mentioned I wanted to experiment. I did release a bunch of different incomplete apps, and a few for slapstick comedy, but my interests have been mostly with doing the work, not with putting forth a polished work, and that's why there's no end result application but merely a lot of source code and innovative SAPP scripts and the like.

While I'm still in a learning and experimentation phase of software development, I think the next step for me is to design a new game engine that incorporates ideas from what I've learned while studying how Halo works.

But I gripe about several aspects of Halo, such as what I've mentioned in other threads recently, and I'd rather have fun making a new game and trying to include the worthwhile parts of blam than continue along the dead end road of scripts and hacks and more experiments with this game that is about to reach end of life on Apple's side in multiple ways (dropping OpenGL, dropping 32-bit, etc.). A fellow software developer I met online expressed their opinion that I should forget Apple, but the fact is that I use a Mac, even to run Windows 7.

Thus, my former thoughts were, "if I'm doing it in C anyway, why not also do it in Objective-C and C# for Mac and Windows?" The problem becomes that if you use Objective-C for interface, you basically have to use it for data structures... and I have already done several renditions of programs in exclusively Objective-C and C#. My work left off in the user interface: that Auto Layout was too slow so I have to use manual layout (I forgot what that's called) and that I would want to use WInForms because WPF is too weird and complex for me. Then you get into how to integrate OpenGL, whether you build it into the program or use some framework like you link with Xcode... So that was all still experimentations, and still only with handling Halo's files. And along the way, I ran into situations where the coordinate systems were flipped on different axes and several other oddities with Halo. But I think I gained enough experience practicing that I can keep going now with a new game engine.

All that means that I was destined to stop using Halo anyway. And so I think that time has come. So while I can regret not making decent software for the members here to use, especially when they ask about bugs and errors with the existing HEK and community-developed software, I am realizing this fact: I don't want to debug software whose source code I didn't write, and I don't want to deal with errors due to engine limitations and behaviors with which I don't agree, especially while I am proceeding to take the time to design my own game engine with the goal of not having such limitations or doing things in such a way.

I appreciate the warm sentiment.

SomeFan

Discordapp: SomeFan#0171

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 01:04 AM    Msg. 4 of 5       
Sparky:"I am realizing this fact: I don't want to debug software whose source code I didn't write, and I don't want to deal with errors due to engine limitations and behaviors with which I don't agree, especially while I am proceeding to take the time to design my own game engine with the goal of not having such limitations or doing things in such a way."

I think just about every one comes to that conclusion in time, hacking & mod'ing is a good learning experience. some people just seem to do well in a rather limited environment, maybe lack of growth(in expectations & skill) or extreme dedication(to improve what you have)? not so much trying to judge(or be a fan boy) but understand what keeps these veterans going. any old timers share why they Mod these days? the ease & quickness is my guess, not every one wants to do everything from scratch.

an example of Mod'ing is CMT, working around severe limitations to produce a pretty good Campaign, while TheChuckerBean found way more opportunities in Unity

Is it just me or does it seem utility designer's (HAC2,OS, Chimera, etc.) seem to leave after a few years but Map/Tag design teams stick around for ever?
off topic i know... i'm a bad boy :) Peace be with you Sparky. to be a Star you must shine you own light.

sparky

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 09:42 AM    Msg. 5 of 5       
Quote: --- Original message by: SomeFan
what keeps these veterans going

Creative potential and community grow and sustain the popularity of this game. But the game also has to be fun and designed coherently. Marketing might be a contributing factor. There are several game engines from decades past and in recent years that claim to intend to "let you easily make your own game". But they die as they burn platform support. That's why I am not using Unity or Unreal Engine. Also, unless they are bloated, they tend to focus on one perspective of gameplay and asset design. Halo, on the other hand, turns the limitation into a feature, where you have both first-person and third-person models for players.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue August 20, 2019 11:16 AM 156 ms.
A Halo Maps Website