A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »I want to make a Firefight Map and need help.

Author Topic: I want to make a Firefight Map and need help. (3 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

willer000

no alone no alone.

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 03:03 PM    Msg. 1 of 3       
there's some time I keep thinking about, because we do not have a Halo Reach firefight on the pc.
I thought about "creating" the final map of the Halo Reach campaign.
The mission Lone Wolf.
I was able to get the map on 3dsMax
And he wanted to know how I can make it imported properly.
Being sincere I do not have much knowledge about creating maps, however I have a lot of will, and any help is welcome. I would like to create this.
If anyone can help me, I appreciate it.

Anyway, this is what i have.

Update: that is what happen when i try to import to JMS, with JMS Model Exporter.

Edited by willer000 on Apr 22, 2019 at 03:10 PM

The Gravemind

I Am The Monument To All Your Sins

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 04:37 PM    Msg. 2 of 3       
Quote: --- Original message by: willer000
Update: that is what happen when i try to import to JMS, with JMS Model Exporter.

https://i.imgur.com/KJ5ORfY.jpg
Edited by willer000 on Apr 22, 2019 at 03:10 PM

Create a single bone in the center of the bsp and name it frame root. Then link everything to it. This video shows the same thing but with a box: https://youtu.be/cGJnE3hcThg?t=567
either one will work based on my experience.

Edited by The Gravemind on Apr 22, 2019 at 04:39 PM

DeadHamster

https://discord.gg/Neu4EJM

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 05:01 PM    Msg. 3 of 3       
If you're thinking you can export the BSP with Adjutant and just compile it into Halo, I'm the guy that's going to tell you that this is literally impossible.

There's so many obstacles you'll come across, many of them are hard engine limits or are so far outside the allowed boundaries it's LITERALLY impossible to do.

You need to use the exported model as a reference, and build a new, low-poly version from scratch. If that's already what you are doing, good. Keep doing that. In Halo 1 all geometry needs to be sealed. Think of a box going to the Post Office; if all the corners are taped shut and closed the Postman (tool.exe) is happy. But, if one of the edges is torn open, or an entire face is missing, than the Postman will reject the package until I close up the holes.

Also, in Halo 1 you can't have intersecting geometry. From Halo 2 on there was a thing in the BSP called instance geometry; any sealed geometry piece can co-exist in the BSP with other sealed geometry pieces. So you make the main BSP, then start making custom-made scenery items as part of the BSP, things like rails along walkways or shutters on windows. See all those scenery objects in the BSP model that are not connected to the actual terrain, like those racks of barrels? That's instance geometry, and you can't export that with the BSP. You have to export the terrain, compile the instance geometry into different scenery items and then place them with Sapien.

Also, even if you seal the geometry and seperate and export all the instance geomtry, it doesn't matter because Halo CE can't handle BSP models that high-poly. So you'll have to optimize geometry to about 25-30% of it's original complexity, and then re-UVW map the entire BSP.... almost like doing it from scratch.

I was able to get an ODST BSP into the game. To get there I chopped out an entire section of the level, cut down the vertices by about 30% and then re-created about a third of the level by hand to fix the geometry errors Tool started finding.

So knowing what I had to do to get an ODST BSP in, I am comfortable in advising you that what you're doing is literally impossible. You CAN, however, re-create this map rather easily.

So basically what you need to do is:

That BSP that you have in 3DS max? Turn the main items into Scenery tags and place them with Sapien. Then make a low-poly terrain that roughly matches what the actual terrain of the map Lone Wolf is. Using Sapien, place all the structures that you turned into scenery objects, recreating the map that way.
Edited by DeadHamster on Apr 22, 2019 at 05:02 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon May 25, 2020 1:59 PM 359 ms.
A Halo Maps Website